Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Re: The ophthalmologist [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You are right. I misread that for the
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
but what about meaning distortion? D says ophthalmologists instead of offices; I don't think GMAT will tolerate such a wide distortion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
daagh wrote:
but what about meaning distortion? D says ophthalmologists instead of offices; I don't think GMAT will tolerate such a wide distortion.

The goggles in question are prescribed by the ophtalmologists and sold in their offices not by their offices.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling [#permalink]
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Verb Tense, mood and voice erros: in-a-nutshell-independent-clause-and-dependent-clause-160401.html#p1270476
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
I see a 3/2 split. With A, B and E using a form of "ophthalmologists' offices" selling the goggles. This doesn't make sense and its a bit awkward since the offices are selling the goggles and not the ophthalmologist.

In C, the use of that at the beginning is awkward and unidiomatic. Therefore, we are left with D which is clearer and to the point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
daagh wrote:

Meaning wise also D looks good. ophthalmologists having customers - is logical. ophthalmologists' offices having customers - doesn't convey proper meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '17
Send PM
12Sums wrote:
Meaning wise also D looks good. ophthalmologists having customers - is logical. ophthalmologists' offices having customers - doesn't convey proper meaning.

Based on a webinar I attended yesterday, I believe that we have to pick an option which is logically in sync with the original sentence. So, ideally we have to pick an answer choice which is logically similar to the original sentence and is grammatically correct.
Is my above statement correct? If it is, saying that ophthalmologists selling the goggles change the logic of original sentence(which conveys that office is selling goggles).
Option B retains the logic of the original sentence. 'began the selling of' might be a bit verbose but it seems to be grammatically correct. Shouldn't this mean that B is the only option which is both logically in sync with the original sentence and grammatically correct as well?

Could someone please comment on it.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling [#permalink]
tyl3rdurd3n wrote:
12Sums wrote:

Based on a webinar I attended yesterday, I believe that we have to pick an option which is logically in sync with the original sentence. So, ideally we have to pick an answer choice which is logically similar to the original sentence and is grammatically correct.
Is my above statement correct? If it is, saying that ophthalmologists selling the goggles change the logic of original sentence(which conveys that office is selling goggles).
Option B retains the logic of the original sentence. 'began the selling of' might be a bit verbose but it seems to be grammatically correct. Shouldn't this mean that B is the only option which is both logically in sync with the original sentence and grammatically correct as well?

Could someone please comment on it.

The first part (The ophthalmologists' offices began the selling of prescription goggles) looks fine here in option B. In the second part I think 'ophthalmologists' offices having customers' doesn't seem logical. Even in the question its the same. 'ophthalmologists having customers' sounds more better and logical than 'ophthalmologists' offices having customers'. That's why I chose D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
I misread That as The in E and opted E. Now i see why D is right answer . :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Send PM
is the usage of "once" correct in this context?
should once put forward a future statement. eg: he will[ sell the medicine once he gets it.

Shouldn't it be "since" in this context?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool.

A. The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
B. The ophthalmologists' offices began the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
C. That ophthalmologists have begun the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once Olympic pool the nearby gymnasium had completed adding
D. The ophthalmologists began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
E. That ophthalmologists' offices began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool

Explanation: Here we can see a 3/2 split if we want to solve as quickly as possible
One is Opthamalogists' offices vs Opthalmologists
We have a pronoun reference "their customers" in the subsequent line. So, it refers to opthalmologists.
In C & D --> we can go to D because C has issue with have begun & fragment sentence ( once Olympic pool the nearby gymnasium had completed adding)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
D. The ophthalmologists began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
E. That ophthalmologists' offices began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool

Is "their" in E fine for referring to ophthalmologists' offices ?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts