Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [35]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [16]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [9]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [3]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: The organs of pigs genetically modified by human stem-cells are now vi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
rajechP wrote:
Can anyone help on this... Source- Manhattan Review

The organs of pigs genetically modified by human stem-cells are now viewed as
forms of health insurance and as resources a human is able to use to take care of
one’s
later illnesses.

(A) a human is able to use to take care of one’s
(B) that a human is able to use to take care of oneself in
(C) a human is able to use to take care of oneself in
(D) humans are able to use to take care of them in
(E) humans are able to use to take care of themselves in

Themselves is used to indicate the subject acts upon itself. Oneself is used to indicate the proper reflexive of "One".If one is used instead of person,then oneself can be used.

So Answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The organs of pigs genetically modified by human stem-cells are now vi [#permalink]
Kudos
itzmyzone911 wrote:
forms of health insurance and as resources a human is able to use to take care of
one’s
later illnesses.

(A) a human is able to use to take care of one’s----> INCORRECT. "a human" refers to a particular human, whereas a generalization is required. Hence, "humans" should be used. "one's" changed the meaning and indicates that the human will take care of someone else's illness.
(B) that a human is able to use to take care of oneself in-----> INCORRECT. Same as (A)
(C) a human is able to use to take care of oneself in----> INCORRECT. Same as (A)
(D) humans are able to use to take care of them in----->INCORRECT. "themselves would be preferred.
(E) humans are able to use to take care of themselves in[/quote]-----> CORRECT
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Good question!

one’s
later illnesses.

First split: Oneself/themselves vs. one/them. Which one is correct? The structure of this sentence is: X(s) are now viewed as ..... and as resources Y is/are able to use to take care of Y-self. If you use "one/them", readers may refer the pronoun to the main subject: "them" --> The organs of pigs . Thus, we need to use "themselves" to make sure people take care themselves, NOT pig organs.
==> A and D are out.

Second split: human OR humans. Because we talk about humans in general, we do not talk about a specific person, plural form - humans should be used. In addition, "one/oneself" is very unclear. The pronoun refers to what? Thus, only E left --> E is the answer.

Note: When you see the deadly five - it, its, they, them, their, you need to find correct antecedents.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Correct.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Operations
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Option B is incorrect cuz of humans being referred to as 'oneself' we require itself for singular or 'themselves' for plural.
But shouldn't option E contain a pronoun after 'resources'..??
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anigr16 wrote:
Option B is incorrect cuz of humans being referred to as 'oneself' we require itself for singular or 'themselves' for plural.
But shouldn't option E contain a pronoun after 'resources'..??

I presume you meant the relative pronoun that - ....resources that a human is able to use.....

The relative pronoun that or whom may be dropped when the modified noun is the object of the modifying clause.

For example: The book that you gave me is interesting.
The modifying clause is that you gave me and modified noun book is the object of this clause - you gave the book.
In such case the relative pronoun that may be dropped.

In the subject question.... resources that a human is able to use..., the modifying clause is that a human is able to use and the modified noun resources is the object of this clause. A human is able to use resources.
Therefore the relative pronoun that may be dropped.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
E has the fewest errors, but the sentence still needs some correction. "Take care of themselves in illnesses" is not idiomatic. We might get away with "in future illness" (with "illness" meaning "the state of being ill"), but "in case of illness" would be better. We also can't say that the organs of pigs are "forms of health insurance." Each individual organ isn't a whole form of health insurance. We could refer to the practice of growing or storing these organs as a form of health insurance. "Resources humans are able to use" doesn't break any grammatical rules, but it is horribly awkward.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The idea here is that the entire race of human beings can benefit from these multifarious advances to cure their own diseases multiple maladies in future. It is not that a single human being is going to use those new findings to cure himself of many diseases, which one may possess. That is the reason that A, B, and C are faulty on the face of it for using a single individual to symbolize the entire race.
Between D and E. the pronoun, 'them" is ambiguous... It may refer to the organs or the pigs or the stem cells or resources. E, therefore.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Arvind
In B, 'that' acts as a relative clause connector, which I feel is acceptable in reported speech. You see the mention doesn't obscure the intended meaning in any manner. In other cases, the connector is not stated but clearly understood.
Why do you feel it is wrong? Is it a grammar problem or meaning problem?
Some may even feel that the whole structure 'humans are' is a comma splice since there is only a comma that separates two IC. However, because of the implied nature of the connector, we cannot take the second clause as an IC but just a subordinate clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The idea here is that the entire race of human beings can benefit from these multifarious advances to cure their own diseases multiple maladies in future. It is not that a single human being is going to use those new findings to cure himself of many diseases, which one may possess. That is the reason that A, B, and C are faulty on the face of it for using a single individual to symbolize the entire race.
Between D and E. the pronoun, 'them" is ambiguous... It may refer to the organs or the pigs or the stem cells or resources. E, therefore.

daagh sir, GMATNinja , AjiteshArun

We have chosen choice E over B because we want to generalise. However i have came across another question which I believe does the opposite

https://gmatclub.com/forum/cherries-tha ... 52868.html

Can somebody explain this?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:
daagh wrote:

daagh sir, GMATNinja , AjiteshArun

We have chosen choice E over B because we want to generalise. However i have came across another question which I believe does the opposite

https://gmatclub.com/forum/cherries-tha ... 52868.html

Can somebody explain this?

This probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but... well, I wouldn't make too many judgments about the actual GMAT based on comparisons of non-official questions. It's brutally difficult for even the best test-prep companies to accurately mimic the style of the actual GMAT, especially on verbal. Keep in mind that the GMAT spends thousands of dollars developing and editing and testing every official test question; even the most amazing test-prep companies can't compete with that.

So don't overthink the difference between this Manhattan question and the one in your link, which has no source listed for it at all!

I hope this helps a bit!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618976 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajechP wrote:
The organs of pigs genetically modified by human stem-cells are now viewed as forms of health insurance and as resources a human is able to use to take care of one’s later illnesses.

Source- Manhattan Review

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

This question has to do with concordance of grammar. Choices A, B and C all use a human with one’s or oneself. The proper idiom in this case would be itself, or him/herself. Choice D, however, makes the mistake of being unclear as to what the ‘them’ refers. Does it refer to the organs, the pigs or the humans? Choice E is the correct answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts