Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 590 [24]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-12-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [9]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [6]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: The overall rate of emphysema has declined 15 percent over [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
psdeol wrote:
The overall rate of emphysema has declined 15 percent over the last 15 years in region A. During that period, the total cost of care for emphysema sufferers in region A, after accounting for inflation, declined by two percent per year until eight years ago, at which time it began increasing by approximately two percent per year. Now the total health care cost for treating emphysema is approximately equal to what it was 15 years ago.

Which one of the following best resolves the apparent discrepancy between the incidence of emphysema in region A and the cost of caring for emphysema sufferers?

A . The overall cost of health care in region A has increased by seven percent in the last 15 years, after accounting for inflation.
B. Improvements in technology have significantly increased both the cost per patient and the success rate of emphysema care in the past 15 years.
C. About seven years ago, the widespread switch to health maintenance organizations halted overall increases in health care costs in region A after accounting for inflation.
D. The money made available for research into the causes and cures emphysema had been declining for many years until approximately eight years ago, since which time it has shown a modest increase.
E. Beginning about nine years ago, the most expensive-to-treat advanced cases of emphysema have been decreasing in region A at a rate of about five percent per year.

Kindly explain how the original answer is justified in resolving the paradox ?

Responding to a pm:

Paradox:
- The overall rate of emphysema has declined 15 percent over the last 15 years. (So there are fewer cases of emphysema yearly - whether old or new is immaterial)
- Total cost of care for emphysema sufferers declined first and then started increasing.

This is a paradox, right? The number of sufferers are reducing but the total money spent is increasing. It was decreasing initially but is increasing for the past 8 yrs. Immediately what comes to mind is that treatment cost per person probably started increasing 8 yrs ago.

B. Improvements in technology have significantly increased both the cost per patient and the success rate of emphysema care in the past 15 years.

This explains both sides if the argument. Technology has increased the success rate so more people are recovering (and not getting counted in subsequent years). Also, the new technology is more expensive so it is increasing cost per person. So even though there are fewer ill people, the total money spent on them is increasing. As for the 8 year reference, it doesn't matter. Perhaps one aspect of the tech got introduced 8 yrs back and that added to the cost substantially. Exactly how technology changed over 15 years to get the effect, we don't know. But this certainly explains both the aspects of the argument. This is the best answer.

D. The money made available for research into the causes and cures emphysema had been declining for many years until approximately eight years ago, since which time it has shown a modest increase.

This option talks about the money invested in research. It doesn't say anything about the cost of treatment. We may like to believe that increase in research money leads to increase in treatment cost but that is only if the research is successful and the company decides to pass on the research cost to the people.
Also, this doesn't tell you why the instances of the disease started reducing 15 years back. It says that research money was actually declining 15 years ago. Anyway, increased research money does not imply successful research. So we have no clue why there are fewer sick people now.

Hence answer is (B).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Can anyone explain ?
how to prephase such argument?
i started reading question then after reading below middle information :
"During that period, the total cost of care for emphysema sufferers in region A, after accounting for inflation, declined by two percent per year until eight years ago, at which time it began increasing by approximately two percent per year"

i got confuse and lost.
although, after just reading 'Skientist' prephase of question:
"The discrepancy we are addressing is that on one hand the rate of emphysema is decreasing in a population, but on the other hand the amount of money being spent on treating this disease is about the same. Why would we be spending the same amount of money treating less people? "

i was able to get understand the argument and i got right answer

is middle 'blah blah information' just to misguide test taker?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 590 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-12-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear, I got the point. even I had the same approach while solving the problem and even got it correct. But during further analysis I realized that it should explain more.

Shouldn't the correct option explain that why there was a decrease in the costs initially and then an increase in the latter half finally ending up at same level as it was initially, while at the same time the RATE OF DISEASE emphysema declined by 15% over the entire period.

Option B only explains that success rate of disease increased but it does not explain that how an increase in cost per patient would result in the pattern of cost variation described in the argument. Ultimately we have to answer the discrepancy.

Please tell me if I am thinking the entire argument in a wrong way. I will appreciate it highly.

Press +1 Kudos if you like my explanation[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
psdeol wrote:
Dear, I got the point. even I had the same approach while solving the problem and even got it correct. But during further analysis I realized that it should explain more.

Shouldn't the correct option explain that why there was a decrease in the costs initially and then an increase in the latter half finally ending up at same level as it was initially, while at the same time the RATE OF DISEASE emphysema declined by 15% over the entire period.

Option B only explains that success rate of disease increased but it does not explain that how an increase in cost per patient would result in the pattern of cost variation described in the argument. Ultimately we have to answer the discrepancy.

Please tell me if I am thinking the entire argument in a wrong way. I will appreciate it highly.

Press +1 Kudos if you like my explanation
[/quote]

The discrepancy that we need to address here is that the success rate of disease increased but the overall cost of healthcare for treating emphysema became equal to what it was 15 years ago. The second option is providing a reason why there was in increase in the latter half.

The overall cost of health care after 15 years remains the same [ why it decreased in first half is not mentioned but why it may have increased in second half thereby leading to an overall high cost as it was 15 yrs ago is mentioned in second option - ( Improvements in technology)

I hope this explains.

Press +1 Kudos if you like my explanation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
I don't think B is right, because it doesn't have any reason for us to conclude why the Cost came down for 8 years and then went up for the next 7 years. (which is specifically mentioned in the passage)

option D actually answers this specific reason.
The money made available for research into the causes and cures emphysema had been declining for many years until approximately eight years ago, since which time it has shown a modest increase. -
Its very logical to conclude that if Health care companies invest more in research they will increase their prices also.
which happened approx 8 years ago and led to the increase in health care cost.

And the passage has no mention of increase/decrease trend for the disease, hence we don't have to worry whether it increased for the initial 8 years and then went down.

Please help me understand the issues in my explanation, if any.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
This is the problem with this argument, it wants the test-taker to fall prey in other parts of the argument. This was pointed above by vmdce.

Regarding answer D, it is illogical to think that a modest increase in technology investment would lead to such an increase in costs. This is not strong enough to explain the reversal in trends in the last years.

seabhi wrote:
I don't think B is right, because it doesn't have any reason for us to conclude why the Cost came down for 8 years and then went up for the next 7 years. (which is specifically mentioned in the passage)

option D actually answers this specific reason.
The money made available for research into the causes and cures emphysema had been declining for many years until approximately eight years ago, since which time it has shown a modest increase. -
Its very logical to conclude that if Health care companies invest more in research they will increase their prices also.
which happened approx 8 years ago and led to the increase in health care cost.

And the passage has no mention of increase/decrease trend for the disease, hence we don't have to worry whether it increased for the initial 8 years and then went down.

Please help me understand the issues in my explanation, if any.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
i too rejected B since it never gave any explanation as to why the total cost was reducing for the first 8 years and then increasing.
can some expert please help to clarify.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
1. overall rate of emphysema has declined 15 percent over the last 15 years in region A.

2. During that period, the total cost of care declined by two percent per year until eight years ago, THEREAFTER INCREASED by approximately two percent per year.

3. Now the total health care cost for treating emphysema is approximately equal to what it was 15 years ago.

Which one of the following best resolves the apparent discrepancy between the incidence of emphysema in region A and the cost of caring for emphysema sufferers?

A . The overall cost of health care in region A has increased by seven percent in the last 15 years, after accounting for inflation.OVERALL NO CHANGE IN COSTS HENCE INCORRECT...
B. Improvements in technology have significantly increased both the cost per patient and the success rate of emphysema care in the past 15 years....NOTE AS ON DATE THE TOTAL HEALTHCARE COSTS REMAIN SAME AS 15 YEARS AGO BUT TODAY THE NUMBER OF PATIENTS IS FAR LESS AS IT HAS BEEN DECREASING 15 % IN THESE YEARS....THEREFORE THE COST PER PATIENT HAS SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASED....ALSO THE success rate of emphysema care HAS INCREASED
C. About seven years ago, the widespread switch to health maintenance organizations halted overall increases in health care costs in region A after accounting for inflation....INFACT IT INCREASED
D. The money made available for research into the causes and cures emphysema had been declining for many years until approximately eight years ago, since which time it has shown a modest increase.MONEY FOR RESEARCH... IRRELEVANT
E. Beginning about nine years ago, the most expensive-to-treat advanced cases of emphysema have been decreasing in region A at a rate of about five percent per year. most expensive-to-treat advanced cases of emphysema.... IRRELEVANT

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
psdeol wrote:
The overall rate of emphysema has declined 15 percent over the last 15 years in region A. During that period, the total cost of care for emphysema sufferers in region A, after accounting for inflation, declined by two percent per year until eight years ago, at which time it began increasing by approximately two percent per year. Now the total health care cost for treating emphysema is approximately equal to what it was 15 years ago.

A . The overall cost of health care in region A has increased by seven percent in the last 15 years, after accounting for inflation.
C. About seven years ago, the widespread switch to health maintenance organizations halted overall increases in health care costs in region A after accounting for inflation.
E. Beginning about nine years ago, the most expensive-to-treat advanced cases of emphysema have been decreasing in region A at a rate of about five percent per year.

Unless we assume that emphysema is a communicable disease, we can't say that finding a cure reduces cases of emphysema. A cure is not a prevention.
OA B doesn't really explain the drop in emphysema cases, which cannot be the result of better success rate of emphysema care.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
ankur1901 wrote:
i too rejected B since it never gave any explanation as to why the total cost was reducing for the first 8 years and then increasing.
can some expert please help to clarify.

I too fell for this trap but the question doesn't ask us to explain the drop in prices for 1st 8 years and the rise of prices thereafter. The question asks

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
cost per patient has increased because the patients has reduced due to good health care avaialability
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Thanks for the explaination Karishma.
Much appreciated :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
psdeol wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Paradox:
- The overall rate of emphysema has declined 15 percent over the last 15 years. (So there are fewer cases of emphysema yearly - whether old or new is immaterial)
- Total cost of care for emphysema sufferers declined first and then started increasing.

This is a paradox, right? The number of sufferers are reducing but the total money spent is increasing. It was decreasing initially but is increasing for the past 8 yrs. Immediately what comes to mind is that treatment cost per person probably started increasing 8 yrs ago.

This explains both sides if the argument. Technology has increased the success rate so more people are recovering (and not getting counted in subsequent years). Also, the new technology is more expensive so it is increasing cost per person. So even though there are fewer ill people, the total money spent on them is increasing. As for the 8 year reference, it doesn't matter. Perhaps one aspect of the tech got introduced 8 yrs back and that added to the cost substantially. Exactly how technology changed over 15 years to get the effect, we don't know. But this certainly explains both the aspects of the argument. This is the best answer.

This option talks about the money invested in research. It doesn't say anything about the cost of treatment. We may like to believe that increase in research money leads to increase in treatment cost but that is only if the research is successful and the company decides to pass on the research cost to the people.
Also, this doesn't tell you why the instances of the disease started reducing 15 years back. It says that research money was actually declining 15 years ago. Anyway, increased research money does not imply successful research. So we have no clue why there are fewer sick people now.

Hence answer is (B).

KarishmaB I completely agree with your explaination on option (B).

On analyzing option (B) which says "Improvements in technology have significantly increased both the cost per patient and the success rate of emphysema care in the past 15 years."
It clearly mentions that the cost per patient has been increasing the the past 15 years, which would mean that even though the number of patients are decreasing (as mentioned in the option), the cost is increasing from the past 15 years. And by saying that "As for the 8 year reference, it doesn't matter. Perhaps one aspect of the tech got introduced 8 yrs back and that added to the cost substantially" - aren't we actually assuming this!, which is not actually allowed.

And as far as option (D) is concerned, I agree that the money in research is not in play in the argument and also i guess the decrement in the number of patients with the disease is not a discrepancy in the argument ("The overall rate of emphysema has declined 15 percent over the last 15 years in region A"), its just the increase in the amount of money spent in the treatment of the patients with those patients.

Kindly please help me understand where am I wrong here.
Sajjad1994 egmat KarishmaB
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts