GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2010, 11:08
A little confusing at first but you get it after a second glance.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2010, 20:52
Thanks for the explanation gsothee
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 06:22
Tough one, B fits the bill better than D, just because there is no timeline mentioned.

a,c,e straight loosers

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2011, 11:08
i went with D. consumers prefer to make only one or two technology purchases per year, so i think it supports the claims.. :P
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2011, 01:57
Between B and C, I chose B but had a doubt regarding C. While now I realize that B is the closest.

Reason:
The Conclusion: "So if a company wishes to introduce a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline."

B is supporting the fact that companies do announce the introduction of new technology very soon (by the statement-"while sales of old devices are still strong. ") and this strengthens the above conclusion while C is not concerned with this

Consider giving Kudos if my post helps in some way

Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2011, 06:36
I picked D but the timeline is not mentioned in the text. But I still do not see clear support in B. Can somebody explain. This one is not engough for me:

If its true that media outlets often report on the planned introduction of the new device while sales for the old device are strong, then the idea that consumers will halt their purchase of the current device in anticipation of the new device is strengthened since the consumers are now aware of the upcoming device. And the argument that a company should wait until purchases of the old device begin to decline is thereby strengthened since the company's revenues will be hurt if consumers halt their purchase of the device that is currently in the market.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 03:29
No here the answer is B!!

it is a Manhattan test question.

Think outside the box

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 09:56
CONCLUSION- If a company wishes to introduce a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

PREMISE- Analysts warn that announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire...consumers may resent feeling pressured to spend money to replace a device they have just purchased, even if the new technology is clearly superior.The result is that consumers either do not buy the old device in anticipation of the new one, or they do not buy the new device out of resentment over having already spent their money on the old one.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the claims made above? ASK...... SO WHAT?

a· New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.......WE ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE TIMING OF THE LAUNCH....WHAT HAPPENS THEREAFTER IN TERMS OF COST DOES'NT MATTER..................

b. Media outlets such as television and magazines often report on the planned introduction of new devices while sales of old devices are still strong......SINCE RESENTMENT AT THIS STAGE IS HIGH AND SOME CUSTOMERS ALSO DONT WANT TO BUY OLD TECHNOLOGY, BETTER NOT TO LAUNCH THE PRODUCT NOW AND RATHER WAIT TILL SALES OF PRESENT PRODUCT REDUCES... CORRECT

c· Consumers are usually able to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.... IRRELEVANT...

d· Surveys have shown that consumers prefer to make only one or two technology purchases per year. ...IRRELEVANT...

e· Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.....DOES'NT AFFECT THE ARGUMENT...
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2014, 19:03
gsothee wrote:
P1-quick product launches bfire
P2-consmrs resent buying new 1 , even if better
P3-consmrs dont buy -either due to anticipation of new 1 or due 2 resentment of buying old 1
C* if comp. wants 2 launch new prdct, wait till sales of old decline.

Question stem: which of follow. if true, best support ==> strengthen Q

A.New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
Opposite, will make companies to launch products quickly as they can make higher profits due to cost reduction.
B.Media outlets such as television and magazines often report on the planned introduction of new devices while sales of old devices are still strong.
Reporting new product while old sales are strong will make more people aware and reduce the sales of old P.
C.Consumers are usually able to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
No impact on argument, as it is already stated that cnsmrs will not buy even if the new product is better.
D.Surveys have shown that consumers prefer to make only one or two technology purchases per year.
Opposite answer, if companies know that consmrs will buy only one or two products, then its no point in addressing the resentment of earlier buys, anyways they are not going to buy new product. so companies will quickly launch new products.
E.Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.
Opposite or out of scope, if customers are loyal , new product launch will not cause any resentment in earlier buyers.

Its B.

I do not understand how E is out of scope. The whole logic depends on E according to me. If customers are loyal, it is only then that these secondary measures can stop from backfiring. If customers are not loyal, then they will switch no matter how much to try to report the planned introduction.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 03:19
If consumers will be loyal, then the company need not wait before introducing the new products, so Option E weakens the claims.

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 02:49
I chose answer A but apparently the correct answer is B. The discussion is here:
the-pace-of-new-technology-brings-a-constant-stream-of-new-100420.html
Manager
Manager
The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 18:37
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-88289.html
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 17:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 17:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap