Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 580 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: The paintings of Romare Bearden (1914-1988) represent a [#permalink]
qpoo wrote:
A

One way to solve 'EXCEPT' type of question is to find the evidence.
If lucky, we can find specific mentioning of the exceptional case as in this example.

Through his depiction of the unemployed in New York's Harlem he was able to move beyond the usual "protest painting" of the period to reveal instances of individual human suffering.

'A' merely used a different word to say the same thing (particular examples) here.

In this type of details question, it is easier to confirm or exclude one fact - way too time-consuming to confirm or exclude four others.

Shouldnt AC A be eliminated because the passage includes the info and therefore doesnt answer the EXCEPT portion of the question.

BTW the OA isnt A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
qpoo wrote:

One way to solve 'EXCEPT' type of question is to find the evidence.
If lucky, we can find specific mentioning of the exceptional case as in this example.
In this type of details question, it is easier to confirm or exclude one fact - way too time-consuming to confirm or exclude four others.

I'm not sure i understand what you mean. The "except" OA will not be in the passage because that is the only choice which isnt mentioned in the passage. So of the 5 ACs 4 ACs are embedded in the passage somewhere. Pls elaborate on your technique.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [0]
Send PM
The question is "According to the passage, human figures in Bearden's paintings do all the following EXCEPT:", therefore, if the passage specifically
mentions that Bearden's painting is not something, isn't it the same as saying it is all EXCEPT ... ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
qpoo wrote:
The question is "According to the passage, human figures in Bearden's paintings do all the following EXCEPT:", therefore, if the passage specifically
mentions that Bearden's painting is not something, isn't it the same as saying it is all EXCEPT ... ?

Well I thought the following excerpt from the passage "Bearden painted scenes of hardships of the period; the work was powerful, the scenes grim and brooding. Through his depiction of the unemployed in New York's Harlem he was able to move beyond the usual "protest painting" of the period to reveal instances of individual human suffering"

To me the phrases/verbiage bolded equates to AC A. Therfore i eliminated AC A.

In any case A is not the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I'd like to get more perspective on how you solve Except questions. I've always had to rely on my memory. If i dont remember reading about something i know that is the AC. However this methodlogy is NOT very effcient coz you cant except to remember everything you read/peruse.

But its equally inefficient to go back to the passage and see if each AC is included in the passage or not.

Ranga41, Christop, darth, himalaya, ban and anyone else would you please care to share your methodology for these EXCEPT type of questions.

Is there a method to the madness.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Bump
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Bump? Anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Anyone?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
D. Well, when I read the passage the first time, I quickly glance thru it. My objective at the first reading is to understand the primary purpose and the main idea of the passage. I quickly note the role of each para without goin into the details of it. All the data at the first reading are X's to me.

For questions like these I prefer referring the resp para. I kill answer choices which r extreme or contradict the primary purpose of the passage before even referring to the para. Thats my 2 cents!

GA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I got your msg, gmataquaguy. Thanks for drawing me back into the forums, with this wonderful question.

My answer is C.

Before I proceed to explain my answer choice, I will explain my technique. I picked the answer choice based on what I remembered. I spend more time reading the passage and understanding its gist, before proceeding to answer the question. If it is a 25 line passage, I may spend anywhere between 3 to 4 mins, because, the questions tend to be more complicated for shorter passages. On the other hand I spend about 5 to 6 mins for 70 liners. I read a para, and try to summarize its contents. If I am stuck, I quickly skim the para to understand the essence. In the end, I try to correlate all my thoughts into one coherent stream, before, I attempt the questions.

Enuf said!! C is never mentioned in the passage.
Choice A is clearly described in para 3 in the following sentences "Bearden painted scenes of hardships ....." and in "His human figures, placed in abstract ..."

Choice D is mentioned in the last sentence of Para 3 (While functioning as part of the overall design, these colors also served as symbols of the psychological efects of debilitating social processes)

Choice E is mentioned in para 3 in (His human figures, placed in abstract yet mysteriously familiar urban settings)

At this point I was left with B and C. I referred back to the passage and eliminated B because of this sentence in para 3 - "managed to express the complex social reality lying beyond the borders of the canvas without compromising their integrity as elements in an artistic composition"

Therefore C.

Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The OA is D.

In my opinion, this is a really tough question.

Darth, in my opinion the reason, the reason D is wrong is because "the colors" [not humans] serve as symbols of the psychological effects of the debilitating process.

I dont have a "set" methodlogy for this type of question - i hate going back to the passage to "eliminate" each and every AC. So i go off my memory on what I've read and eliminate the easy ACs that quite often contradict the authors theme/flow - e.g. AC A.

When left with ACs i go through the passage and try to locate the ACs - here is where i spend quite a bit of my time.

Well thanks everyone for your participation.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [0]
Send PM
This is a tough one... i picked E as my answer choice. but i can see how Dis the OA.
-n

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts