Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Health care
Schools:Tuck, Duke
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [4]
Concentration: Management Consulting, International Management
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
Re: The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of th [#permalink]
Kudos
The particular design (subject) [strike]of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle[/strike] ("of" acts like a middleman, which is placed to split the subject and the verb apart to introduce the subject verb disagreement error as done here) allow (verb should be plural i.e. allows)
that it can draw in its exposed parts such that an attacker can find nothing
but hard shell to bite.
A. allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that
B. allow it to draw in its exposed parts, and so
C. allows for it to draw in its exposed parts and that
D. allows that it can draw in its exposed parts, and so
E allows (the verb agrees with the subject) it to draw in its exposed parts, so that

I'll go with E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of th [#permalink]
The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allow
that it can draw in its exposed parts
such that an attacker can find nothing
but hard shell to bite.
E. allows it to draw in its exposed parts, so that

I got the answer E right but my question is use of comma here,

Based on the document (Comprehensive SC) posted in the forum it says below

Independent Clauses are those that can be sentences on their own. For connecting these clauses use one of the following:
a. Semi Colon
b. Comma + Coordinating Conjunction (For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet and So)

Now the second part of the sentence is not independent or maybe I am not getting it right

In this case should the clause be

that an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite --- this doesnt look independent.

or

clause should be

an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite --- not sure how this is also independent.

Please explain where am I going wrong.

Thanks
Ravi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite.

Looking at the splits ..

design (singular subject) .. should go with singular verb "allows" - Options (A),(B),(C) are out
In choice (A) - .. allow that it can ... (use of "allow" and "can" is redundant)
In choice (B) (C) (D) - .. exposed parts, and so (use of "AND" is WRONG.. "AND" is used to express separate events)
("drawing exposed parts" and "so attacker can find nothing" are not separate events/actions .. instantaneous events/actions)

Choice (E) - Has the correct verb "allow" and use of "so that" expresses intention.

Answer (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
– plural verb, singular required. object missing for allows
– plural verb, singular required. And/so redundant connectors
– object missing for allows. and changes the meaning, reasoning absent
– object missing for allows. And/so redundant connectors
– correct

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
walkman4mba wrote:
The particular design (subject) of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle ("of" acts like a middleman, which is placed to split the subject and the verb apart to introduce the subject verb disagreement error as done here) allow (verb should be plural i.e. allows)
that it can draw in its exposed parts such that an attacker can find nothing
but hard shell to bite.
E allows (the verb agrees with the subject) it to draw in its exposed parts, so that

I'll go with E

allows is singular
allow is plural.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite.

A. allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that - subject-verb agreement issue - design needs allows
B. allow it to draw in its exposed parts, and so - subject-verb agreement issue - design needs allows
C. allows for it to draw in its exposed parts and that - usage of and changes the meaning
D. allows that it can draw in its exposed parts, and so - "Allow that (noun) (verb)" is not idiomatic. "Allow (noun) to (verb)" is the correct form.
* "And so" should introduce a consequence of whatever is described by the entire sentence preceding it.
For instance,
The turtle retracted all of its exposed parts into its shell, and so its attackers were unable to find anything to bite.
--> This sentence is fine, because the part after "and so" is a consequence of everything described in the main sentence ("The turtle retracted...")

In the sentence here, the second part is not a consequence of the entire main part of the sentence.

E. allows it to draw in its exposed parts, so that - Correct

Answer E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
arorag wrote:

This question is based on Subject-Verb Agreement and Construction.

Options A and B begin with the verb ‘allow’ that doesn’t agree with the subject “The particular design”. The construction of Option A is also clumsy. So, Options A and B can be ruled out.

The phrasal verb ‘allows for’ means to give an opportunity for something. The anatomy (design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs) of an animal does not give an opportunity for something. Since the meaning conveyed is illogical, Option C can be ruled out.

Option D has the same clumsy construction as Option A. It also has a redundant conjunction ‘and so’. If the conjunction ‘and’ were to be maintained, to maintain parallelism, the sentence should read – allows that it can draw in its exposed parts and that an attacker can find…. So, Option D can be ruled out.

Option E has the appropriate idiomatic construction ‘allows it to”. The conjunction ‘so that’ implies a reason. Therefore, E is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts