It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 240

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 9

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2011, 03:39
Aj85 wrote:
DeeptiM wrote:
Thanks for the explanation..I get the stated point.

Below is the logic I hold, pls correct me if I am wrong...

A new clause begings after ":" and
A new sentence begins after ";"

In each of the above scenario, subject of each should agree with its verb.

A new sentence only begins after a period . (.)

A clause is group of words that contains both a subject and a verb. It may or may not be able to stand on it's own. A clause which can stand on it's own(as a meaningful sentence) is called independent clause. A clause which can't stand on it's own is called a dependent clause.

If a sentence contains two clauses, verbs of both clauses should agree with their subject,

semicolon (;) is used to link two independent clause.


Thanks for the explanation..below is what i meant..

I have solved couple of SC questions wherein i learnt that in GMAT, answer choices with semi colon (;) are the best and they initiate a new sentence...does colon (:) also serves the same purpose..as per my understanding they are used to provide further explanation or to expand on something.

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 9

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1949

Kudos [?]: 2130 [0], given: 376

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2011, 04:27
DeeptiM wrote:
802. The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them: the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as “standing waves.”

(A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are
(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is
(D) stationary crests and troughs although he air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
(E) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is



The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them: the resulting flow pattern, [highlight]with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly[/highlight], is known as “standing waves.”

The highlighted portion is some extra info about the pattern. Ignore it for a moment.

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them: the resulting flow pattern is known as “standing waves.”

"Pattern" is singular and agrees with "is".

A,B,D- out.

Now, let's focus on the comma embedded portion.
crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly.
crests and troughs-plural
remain-plural verb
them- correctly refers to crests ad troughs
Good.

crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly
air-singular
forms-singular verb
is-singular

Air forms crest and troughs
crest and troughs remain stationary
BUT the air that actually formed crest and troughs moves rapidly.

":" follows by a sentence that provides extra info about previous statement.
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2130 [0], given: 376

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 240

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 9

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2011, 04:35
fluke wrote:
DeeptiM wrote:
802. The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them: the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as “standing waves.”

(A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are
(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is
(D) stationary crests and troughs although he air that forms them is moving rapidly, are
(E) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is



The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them: the resulting flow pattern, [highlight]with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly[/highlight], is known as “standing waves.”

The highlighted portion is some extra info about the pattern. Ignore it for a moment.

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them: the resulting flow pattern is known as “standing waves.”

"Pattern" is singular and agrees with "is".

A,B,D- out.

Now, let's focus on the comma embedded portion.
crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly.
crests and troughs-plural
remain-plural verb
them- correctly refers to crests ad troughs
Good.

crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly
air-singular
forms-singular verb
is-singular

Air forms crest and troughs
crest and troughs remain stationary
BUT the air that actually formed crest and troughs moves rapidly.

":" follows by a sentence that provides extra info about previous statement.


That's one heck of an explanation..simply awsum Fluke!!

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: mba here i come!
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 261

Kudos [?]: 1258 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 08:43
C is correct

the resulting flow ... is

E is passive and it is enough to strike it off.
_________________

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Kudos [?]: 1258 [0], given: 48

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8308 [2], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 10:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
I will not go beyond saying that C is more wholesome than E. I would not say. E is awkward or E lacks contrast. As long as the three elements are there namely, stationary on one side, rapidly moving on the other side and the contrast –marker 'although' in between, then I feel the contrast is established. The only faint reason why C was weighed in might have been because ‘the crests and troughs that remain’ is parallelly matched by ‘the air that forms’

How can we dispute an OG OA!
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8308 [2], given: 366

Retired Thread Master
User avatar
Status: How can I crack Verbal
Joined: 12 May 2011
Posts: 205

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2011, 08:13
daagh wrote:
I will not go beyond saying that C is more wholesome than E. I would not say. E is awkward or E lacks contrast. As long as the three elements are there namely, stationary on one side, rapidly moving on the other side and the contrast –marker 'although' in between, then I feel the contrast is established. The only faint reason why C was weighed in might have been because ‘the crests and troughs that remain’ is parallelly matched by ‘the air that forms’

How can we dispute an OG OA!


Hi Daagh...as pointed out above by someone, does "stationary" refer to only 'crest' or both 'crest' and 'trough'?

Thanks,
LC

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8308 [0], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2011, 08:30
IMO: Why will it not refer to both crests and troughs? If I say, ‘this class comprises intelligent boys and girls, will it mean only boys? How else are we going to use compound objects?
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8308 [0], given: 366

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2011, 14:13
LifeChanger wrote:
daagh wrote:
I will not go beyond saying that C is more wholesome than E. I would not say. E is awkward or E lacks contrast. As long as the three elements are there namely, stationary on one side, rapidly moving on the other side and the contrast –marker 'although' in between, then I feel the contrast is established. The only faint reason why C was weighed in might have been because ‘the crests and troughs that remain’ is parallelly matched by ‘the air that forms’

How can we dispute an OG OA!


Hi Daagh...as pointed out above by someone, does "stationary" refer to only 'crest' or both 'crest' and 'trough'?

Thanks,
LC


For both.

Some other examples:
Many boys and girls are on the playground.
She received beautiful flowers and gifts.

To have the attribute only applied to the first noun you need to emphasize a separation with "and".
For instance:
She received beautiful flowers and gifts too.

Here the gifts are an addition.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2011, 14:29
euxeno wrote:
E. stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

This option omits the restrictive relative clause "that remain stationary". One of the requirements of a restrictive clause is that the sentence wouldn't make sense or mean the same thing without it. In this case, "although they are formed by rapidly moving air" is providing a counterpoint without having a main point to counter.

Maybe another example would illustrate this best:

Bananas that are yellow are tastiest although brown ones are good for baking. <--Correct
Bananas are tastiest although brown ones are good for baking. <--"Awkward and unclear" as OG-11 would put it


Agree that C is the correct answer. But besides introducing a passive, which in itself is nowhere a sin except in GMAT, you cannot fault E.
E does not omit the restrictive relative clause "crests and troughs that remain stationary" because it states the similar "stationary crests and troughs".

To reuse your example in the same way that E is formulated:
Yellow bananas are tastiest although brown ones are good for baking. Neither awkward, nor unclear.

E also weakens the contrast made necessary by "although". C states that "....remain stationary although the air .... moves rapidly". E makes this contrast less obvious, but nonetheless present.

So I don't see this one as clear cut as it might seem from the posts.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: SC SC SC SC SC.... Concentrating on SC alone.
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 233

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 47

Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2011, 01:19
C it is..

X although Y. Parallelism is maintained..
_________________

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 47

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Retaking next month
Affiliations: None
Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 211

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 42

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2011, 02:09
Clear Split between "is" & "are". Flow is singular. Choose is.

Between C & E. E is passive. Eliminate. C is the best option.

Took me 2.5 minutes ;(

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 200

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 5

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2012, 20:15
I picked C as the answer choice here:

A. The main problem with this answer is subject-verb agreement in the 2nd sentence. "The resulting flow pattern" does not agree with the plural "Are."

B. Again, there is subject-verb agreement error here. Also, the use of passive voice makes this wordy. It is better to make the 2 clauses parallel:

"Crests and troughs that remain" and "The air that forms them" is better than

"Crests and troughs that remain" and "They are formed by rapidly moving air."

The main reason is because you should try to make them parallel. In the first part "Crests and troughs that remain" = "subject + that + verb." If we look at the 2nd part "The air that forms them" = "subject + that + verb."

C. This answer choice maintains subject verb agreement and active voice.

D. Subject verb agreement issue here.

E. The main problem with this answer is the passive voice.

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2011
Posts: 102

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 72

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2012, 02:18
Correct choice C.
E is in passive voice .
_________________

If you like my post, Press +1 KUDO. It is the best way to say Thanks .

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 72

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 351

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2012, 23:11
"they" is ambiguous in E also the meaning is changed.
hence C
_________________

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 31

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 280

Kudos [?]: 996 [0], given: 23

Premium Member
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 08:28
a. plural verb
b. plural verb
c. Correct
d. plural verb
e. passive voice and use of although is wrong. Although should divide 2 subordinate clauses which is not happening here. the first pare does not contain a verb.
_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 996 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 264

Kudos [?]: 687 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2012, 23:46
Can someone explain how 'C' differs from 'E' in terms of meaning?
_________________

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Kudos [?]: 687 [0], given: 13

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8308 [0], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2012, 07:12
Considering we are left with C and, E, in C, crests and toughs that remain stationary and he air that forms them- is more parallel than- stationary crests and toughs ….they are formed by -- So C is the one
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8308 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Posts: 62

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2012, 08:34
Shoumik wrote:
Can someone explain how 'C' differs from 'E' in terms of meaning?


meaning of C: The air is moving rapidly yet the crests and toughs are still stationary.

meaning of E: The air is moving rapidly yet the stationary crests and toughs are formed.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Posts: 46

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 51

Location: United States
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2012, 03:00
C is the answer, resulting flow pattern(subject) is singular which matches singular form is

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 51

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 303

Kudos [?]: 1278 [0], given: 2

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2012, 16:15
The subject here is "resulting flow pattern", which is singular. Therefore, the verb that comes after the modifying phrase, 'with crests...' must be is. Eliminate (A), (B), and (D).

Next, we have this awkward phrase in (E): 'stationary crests and troughs although...' The 'although' signals a contrast, but what exactly is being contrasted. With (C), we have crests and troughs that remain stationary.' Now there is a clear need for 'although', because we want to contrast the way that the crests and troughs move with the way that the air below them moves.

Thus the answer is (C).
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep


Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 1278 [0], given: 2

Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2012, 16:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 97 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.