Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [79]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [62]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Re: The percentage of peole weighing over 150 pounds is higher [#permalink]
Kudos
harshsahay wrote:
Bambi2021 wrote:
May anyone try to explain why E is incorrect? Because the way I see it, it can not be incorrect. The prompt tells us that Tustin has higher percentage than Irvine over 180 pounds. E says the same thing. C follows logically too, but E just can not be incorrect.

Debatable OA.

Let me try to explain. It's actually a play of words, and the question is simpler than it appears.

The question states "The percentage of people weighing over 150 pounds is higher in Irvine than any other city"
Let's say percentage of people weighing over 150 pounds in Irvine = 4% which is more than any other city (for people weighing over 150 pounds)

Now the question states "However, the percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds is higher in Tustin"
This means this particular value is higher than the previous percentage values, in this case, greater than 4%.
Let's say percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds in Tustin = 5%

Thanks for your reply!

The interpretation that you claim is the correct one is a very far-fetched "play with words".

Your interpretation: "The percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds is higher in Tustin than the percentage weighing over 150 pounds in Irvine.

The way this sentence is written, the most reasonable interpretation is that the percentage weighing over 180 pounds is higher in Tustin than the percentage weighing over 180 pounds in Irvine.

If you are correct, I don't think this is a well written question.

It would be nice to hear what the question-maker had in mind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Send PM
C is the ans. However E seems a reword of the question stem. So how to rule out E as the ans choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
I do not get it how C is the answer.
People who are over 180 are over 150 also. So if their is higher percent of people with weight over 180 in tustin then it must be higher in 150.
I think answer should be D.
because question is talking about percent. Irvine might have population of 1M where Tustin might 10K.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
The percentage of people weighing over 150 pounds is higher in Irvine than any other city. However, the percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds is higher in Tustin.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

A) Irvine has the second highest percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds.

B) Average weight is higher in Tustin than in Irvine

C) Some people in Irvine weigh between 150 and 180 pounds

D) The number of people who weigh more than 150 pounds is greater in Irvine than in Tustin.

E) The percentage of people who weigh over 180 pounds is greater in Tustin than in Irvine.

Very nice question!

Does somebody know any analagous questions from OG (about ALSO must be true)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
The percentage of peole weighing over 150 pounds is higher [#permalink]
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
The percentage of people weighing over 150 pounds is higher in Irvine than any other city. However, the percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds is higher in Tustin.

D) The number of people who weigh more than 150 pounds is greater in Irvine than in Tustin.

E) The percentage of people who weigh over 180 pounds is greater in Tustin than in Irvine.

Hi SajjadAhmad:
I have never seen a must also type of critical reasoning question in OG. Also this has been posted by Princeton rep. Is the OG tag correct?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
StudiosTom wrote:
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:

Hi SajjadAhmad:
I have never seen a must also type of critical reasoning question in OG. Also this has been posted by Princeton rep. Is the OG tag correct?

"Must Also" here is not a big issue but i supposed that OG Tag is added mistakenly which i have removed now.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
The percentage of peole weighing over 150 pounds is higher [#permalink]
May anyone try to explain why E is incorrect? Because the way I see it, it can not be incorrect. The prompt tells us that Tustin has higher percentage than Irvine over 180 pounds. E says the same thing. C follows logically too, but E just can not be incorrect.

Debatable OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1138
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
Send PM
Bambi2021 wrote:

Debatable OA.

Let me try to explain. It's actually a play of words, and the question is simpler than it appears.

The question states "The percentage of people weighing over 150 pounds is higher in Irvine than any other city"
Let's say percentage of people weighing over 150 pounds in Irvine = 4% which is more than any other city (for people weighing over 150 pounds)

Now the question states "However, the percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds is higher in Tustin"
This means this particular value is higher than the previous percentage values, in this case, greater than 4%.
Let's say percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds in Tustin = 5%

Now let's see the options:

=> Cannot say that, percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds in Irvine is 4% or 3% or 5% or some other value

B) Average weight is higher in Tustin than in Irvine.
=> Cannot say

=> Definitely true (from data in question itself)

=> Cannot say, the value talks about percentages, and not of actual numbers.

=> Cannot say, the question never said if percentage of people weighing over 180 pounds in Tustin is highest or second-highest or whatever. It just said it is higher than percentage of people weighing over 150 pounds in Irvine which is higher than that of any other city.

As I said, it's actually a play of words, and the question is simpler than it appears.

Hope I was able to clarify your doubt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V36
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
StudiosTom wrote:
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:

Hi SajjadAhmad:

"Must Also" here is not a big issue but i supposed that OG Tag is added mistakenly which i have removed now.

Thanks

I feel there is a problem in reasoning here? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Option C : Some people in Irvine weigh between 150 and 180 pounds // What if there is no one in between 150 and 180 pounds? What if everyone is above 180 Pounds? This is also a possibility right?

I feel E must be a better choice?

Please let me know if there is any gap in my reasoning.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts