Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [31]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [8]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year.

a. The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year
b. the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than in any other year
c. The iron and steel industry's performance this year has been better in comparison to any other year
d. The iron and steel industry's performance has been better this year than any other year
e. This year the performance of the iron and steel industry has been better than that of any other year's performance.

It is difficult to reconcile with one aspect of this reporting. In reality, a performance half way through this year is not comparable with the finished preferences of earlier years. Unless one would qualify this year's performance with the phrase " so far", the comparison is meaningless. No one does it logically. That is the reason the verb 'has been' is rather incongruous.
Notwithstanding that, the problem with B is that while it could be logically meaningful. It is structurally unparallel with a bare period on one side and a prepositional phrase on the other.
The errors in other choices couldn't be more apparent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett [#permalink]
Kudos
What is wrong with option A? Kindly explain..
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Balkrishna wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
dcummins wrote:
I selected A, and I didn't fully understand the explanation. If anyone else can better explain why A is incorrect than low number of responses in this thread then I'd greatly appreciate it.

First, none of the answers to this question makes complete sense, and one could argue that (D) is better than the OA, (B).

At the same time, there is a fairly clear reason to eliminate (A).

Here's (A).

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year.

In this version we are comparing "the performance of the iron and steel industry this year" with "that of any other year."

While, reading the sentence informally, we can certainly tell what it is meant to convey, read literally, it makes less sense, as the most logical antecedent of "that" is "the performance."

So, read literally, (A) seems to convey the following.

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than the performance of any other year.

So, read literally, the sentence conveys that the performance of the oil and steel industry has been better than the performance of any other year. Since the oil and steel industry is not a year, and since a year would not have "performance," the comparison does not make complete sense.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep, EducationAisle

I have 1 query regarding option A.

Why can't that refer to the phrase the performance of the iron and steel industry ?

Is there a rule that that can't refer to a phrase and can refer to a noun only?

Thank you.

“That” can refer to a phrase, and it could refer to “the performance of the iron and steel industry,” but that “that” would refer to “the performance of the iron and steel industry” does not quite make sense for the following reasons.

Notice, if we decide that “that” refers to “the performance of the iron and steel industry,” we get “the performance of the iron and steel industry of any other year.” Does a year have a performance of the iron and steel industry? Not really.

Also, we don’t have a performance of the iron and steel industry “of” something else preceding “that of any other year” in the sentence. So, there’s no structure in the sentence that indicates that “that of” should be understood to be “the performance of the iron and steel industry of.” Rather we have “the performance OF the iron and steel industry,” which indicates that “that OF” is “the performance OF.”

So, while we can tell what the version created via the use of (A) is meant to convey, that version is not well constructed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [1]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
taniyaray wrote:
Can anyone please explain why is option A incorrect. Here That refers to performance. so the sentence will be like:

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that (performance) of any other year.

Where am I going wrong??

Yes that can compare back to performance but you are comparing " The performance of the iron and steel industry this year with the performance of any other year, but with whose performance ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I selected A, and I didn't fully understand the explanation. If anyone else can better explain why A is incorrect than low number of responses in this thread then I'd greatly appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
A good use of ellipses. We can omit the word "performance". Answer B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Can anyone please explain why is option A incorrect. Here That refers to performance. so the sentence will be like:

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that (performance) of any other year.

Where am I going wrong??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
A compares ‘performance’ with ‘any other year’. C and D do the same thing. In option E, ‘that’ refers to ‘year’s performance’, so both did not have to be used. This means E should betaken out, as it has a redundant statement.

So B is the right answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
So, read literally, the sentence conveys that the performance of the oil and steel industry has been better than the performance of any other year. Since the oil and steel industry is not a year, and since a year would not have "performance," the comparison does not make complete sense.

Thank you so much, Marty! I really couldn't see this illogical comparison when I first read the sentence, so without you spelling this out for me I would have been stuck!

I really appreciate your timely response as well!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V14
Send PM
Can't we say that " that " in option A replaces the complete "the performance of iron and steel industry in any other year .

Isn't it correct ??

Please correct me ...

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:
Can't we say that " that " in option A replaces the complete "the performance of iron and steel industry in any other year .

Hi Rakesh, for one thing, in any other year is not present in the sentence. that cannot refer to something not present in the sentence at all!

Even if that were the case, then A would read as:

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that (the performance of iron and steel industry in any other year) of any other year.

in any other year of any other year is clearly incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 308
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
dcummins wrote:

First, none of the answers to this question makes complete sense, and one could argue that (D) is better than the OA, (B).

At the same time, there is a fairly clear reason to eliminate (A).

Here's (A).

In this version we are comparing "the performance of the iron and steel industry this year" with "that of any other year."

While, reading the sentence informally, we can certainly tell what it is meant to convey, read literally, it makes less sense, as the most logical antecedent of "that" is "the performance."

So, read literally, (A) seems to convey the following.

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than the performance of any other year.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep, EducationAisle

Why can't that refer to the phrase the performance of the iron and steel industry ?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 308
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
[\quote]Hi MartyTargetTestPrep, EducationAisle

Thank you.[/quote]
“That” can refer to a phrase, and it could refer to “the performance of the iron and steel industry,” but that “that” would refer to “the performance of the iron and steel industry” does not quite make sense for the following reasons.

Notice, if we decide that “that” refers to “the performance of the iron and steel industry,” we get “the performance of the iron and steel industry of any other year.” Does a year have a performance of the iron and steel industry? Not really.

Also, we don’t have a performance of the iron and steel industry “of” something else preceding “that of any other year” in the sentence. So, there’s no structure in the sentence that indicates that “that of” should be understood to be “the performance of the iron and steel industry of.” Rather we have “the performance OF the iron and steel industry,” which indicates that “that OF” is “the performance OF.”

So, while we can tell what the version created via the use of (A) is meant to convey, that version is not well constructed.[/quote]

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep,

Thank you for the quick response.

Your detailed explanation is very helpful.

Again, thank you so much.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

Turkish wrote:

a. The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year
b. the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than in any other year
c. The iron and steel industry's performance this year has been better in comparison to any other year
d. The iron and steel industry's performance has been better this year than any other year
e. This year the performance of the iron and steel industry has been better than that of any other year's performance.

Choice A: This answer choice compares "the performance of the iron and steel industry" with "that (the performance) of any other year." Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice C: This answer choice compares "performance" to "any other year". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice compares "performance" to "any other year". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice compares "the performance of the iron and steel industry" with "that (the performance) of any other year's performance", meaning the performance of any other year's performance. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618928 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Turkish wrote:

A. The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year

B. the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than in any other year

C. The iron and steel industry's performance this year has been better in comparison to any other year

D. The iron and steel industry's performance has been better this year than any other year

E. This year the performance of the iron and steel industry has been better than that of any other year's performance.

Official Explanation:

Answer: B

(A) The comparison is incorrect. While that can refer back to performance, you are in essence comparing the performance of the iron and steel industry this year with the performance of any other year, but with whose performance?

(B) The correct answer. This gets the comparison correct. It basically states that the performance of the iron and steel industry has been better this year than (it has been) in any other year. The use of the preposition in makes all the difference.

(C) Better always takes than. Also, the comparison of performance with any other year is incorrect.

(D) Same as C.

(E) That in the phrase that of any other year’s performance has no antecedent.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
egghead2017 wrote:
A good use of ellipses. We can omit the word "performance". Answer B

MartyTargetTestPrep, would you be able to explain when ellipses are/aren't valid?
I have seen examples in TTP where illogical comparisons can happen b/w a noun and a preposition starting with "in"
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts