Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Clausesx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [132]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [34]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [26]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:IESE '13
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.07
WE 1: Engineer
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
cano wrote:
The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were occupied by Upper Paleolithic people has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are the reason for their decoration, the use to which primitive people put the caves, and the meaning of the magnificently depicted animals.

(A) has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are
(B) has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine is
(C) have been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine is
(D) have been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are
(E) are established by carbon-14 dating, but that which is much more difficult to determine is

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the plural verb "are" to refer to the singular noun "the reason".

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "The period" with the singular verb phrase "has been established" and correctly uses the singular verb "is" to refer to the singular noun "reason". Further, Option B correctly uses the present perfect tense verb "has been established" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present. Additionally, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "The period" with the plural verb phrase "have been established".

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "The period" with the plural verb phrase "have been established". Further, Option D incorrectly uses the plural verb "are" to refer to the singular noun "the reason".

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "are" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "but that which is", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
should be B.

The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were occupied by Upper Paleolithic people has been established by carbon-14 dating,but what is much more difficult to determine are the reason for their decoration,the use to which primitive people put the caves,and the meaning of the magnificently depicted animals.

(A) has been established by carbon-14 dating,but what is much more difficult to determine are - 'period' is singular and so we need singular 'has'. Also, 'reason' is singular and so we need 'is'
(B) has been established by carbon-14 dating,but what is much more difficult to determine is - 'period' is singular and so we need singular 'has'. Also, 'reason' is singular and so we need 'is'
(C) have been established by carbon-14 dating,but what is much more difficult to determine is
(D) have been established by carbon-14 dating,but what is much more difficult to determine are
(E) are established by carbon-14 dating,but that which is much more difficult to determine is
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [4]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Kudos
Ok, I asked my friend who works as an editor, and he confirms that we should use 'is' instead of 'are'. We take in consideration the first noun 'reason' only.

I was extremely confused because I read in MGMAT that when you have doubts about singular vs plural, just flip the order of the clauses. But reading again, I realize that it applies for subjects only. If it was subject it's ok because 2 or more nouns with the word 'and' become a plural subject. But this is not the case it seems.

Well, still a little confused. Accepted the fact by faith and will move forward. I hope that I won't make the same mistakes and that will make sense soon. Ohhhh, if I was just born in an English speaking country....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Essentially this passage has two clauses and two subjects 1. [highlight]The period[/highlight]and 2 [highlight]the reason.[/highlight] Both are singluar. Hence the period entails the singular - [highlight]has[/highlight]– and the reason entails – [highlight]is[/highlight]- . B is the only choice that befits this norm.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Essentially this passage has two clauses and two subjects 1. [highlight]The period[/highlight]and 2 [highlight]the reason.[/highlight] Both are singluar. Hence the period entails the singular - [highlight]has[/highlight]– and the reason entails – [highlight]is[/highlight]- . B is the only choice that befits this norm.

Why do you think the reason alone is the subject for the second clause?

If you think that the part after is or are is the subject, wouldn't the subject be the reason, the use, and the meaning?

A, B, and C: collective nouns which are plural.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In that case, it will not be - what is much more difficult to determine - but -what are much more difficult to determine - There is no choice that says what are much more difficult to determine-Hence the question of a compound plural subject for the second part is ruled out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
Send PM
Kudos
The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were occupied by Upper Paleaolithic peoples has been established by carbon dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are the use to which primitive peoples put the caves, the reason for their decoration, and the meaning of the magnificently depicted animals.

ERROR ANALYSIS
DIVIDE THE WHOLE SENTENCE INTO TO CLAUSES N THEN TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE S-V PAIR , YOU WILL FIND THE CORRECT ANSWER .
1.The period
2.when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were occupied by Upper Paleaolithic peoples
1.has been established by carbon dating,
3.but
4.what is much more difficult to determine (Singular Subject)
3.are (IS) the use to
5.which primitive peoples put the caves, the reason for their decoration, and the meaning of the magnificently depicted animals.

A. has been established by carbon dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are (IS) :WRONG
B. have (HAS) been established by carbon dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are (IS) :WRONG
C. have (HAS) been established by carbon dating, but that which is much more difficult to determine is :WRONG
D. has been established by carbon dating, but what is much more difficult to determine is :CORRECT
E. are (IS) established by carbon dating, but that which is much more difficult to determine is :WRONG
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [2]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Experts,

I am confused on this one.

I am okay with ..

The period............has been.

But I am not okay with 'to determine is' construction.

What is much more difficult to determine is X,Y, and Z.

Inverted order: X,Y, and Z are difficult to determine.

So why use 'IS' instead of 'ARE'.

Rgds,
TGC!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos