Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [61]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [21]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have [#permalink]
Kudos
The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin rashes experienced by its users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused a sharp drop in the company’s share price.

1. Here company did 2 things: accepted something and pulled the drug out of market. So "conceded" and "pulled" should be parallel.
2. We do not need a perfect tense since the actions are not done in a sequential order.
3. Since company did 2 actions, we need "and" in the sentence to join the two actions and link them with the company.
Thus, option "B" has to be correct.

(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused - the striked part in the sentence becomes non-essential information. Thus the meaning of the sentence is "company conceded something and caused the shares to drop". This is absurd. Company can't cause a drop in shares, the action of drug being pulled out of market led to drop in share price.
(B) users and pulled the drug off the market, causing -Correct as per aforesaid explanation
(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing -We do not need a past perfect tense
(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused -Same as option A
(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused -which wrongly refers back to market. We need a participle which will explain the impact of removal of the drug from market on the share price. "has" is wrongly used. We do not need a present perfect tense. It should be simple past.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
C should be the correct answer IMO.
1. "had pulled" is required to show that the action happened before "causing" the effect in the residual part of the sentence.
2. -ing modifier is aptly used to show the effect.

For others
(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused
(B) users and pulled the drug off the market, causing
(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing
(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused
(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused

Please tell me, if I'm wrong. :)

Will I get kudos for this? :o

rekhabishop - The trouble with the past perfect tense in (C) is that it leads to an anachronism. If you strip the sentence down to its barebones, you are left with the following:

The pharmaceutical company conceded [A] and had pulled the drug, causing a drop.

Rather than pulling the drug as a result of the concession, the pharmaceutical company is made to look as if it made the concession after it had already pulled the drug, and that makes the sentence confusing, particularly with its use of and: [B] is supposed to follow [A]. For your proposed sentence to work, you would expect the meaning to be clearer, as in,

The pharmaceutical company conceded [A] after it had pulled the drug, causing a drop.

Of course, you are free to disagree, but the clarity of the sentence should be the number one concern in any SC question. I like that you explained your reasoning, though, which I believe can be helpful to others who come across the question and its accompanying discussion. Kudos from me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
Quote:
C should be the correct answer IMO.
1. "had pulled" is required to show that the action happened before "causing" the effect in the residual part of the sentence.
2. -ing modifier is aptly used to show the effect.

For others
(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused
(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing
(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused
(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused

Please tell me, if I'm wrong. :)

Will I get kudos for this? :o

rekhabishop - The trouble with the past perfect tense in (C) is that it leads to an anachronism. If you strip the sentence down to its barebones, you are left with the following:

The pharmaceutical company conceded [A] and had pulled the drug, causing a drop.

Rather than pulling the drug as a result of the concession, the pharmaceutical company is made to look as if it made the concession after it had already pulled the drug, and that makes the sentence confusing, particularly with its use of and: [B] is supposed to follow [A]. For your proposed sentence to work, you would expect the meaning to be clearer, as in,

The pharmaceutical company conceded [A] after it had pulled the drug, causing a drop.

Of course, you are free to disagree, but the clarity of the sentence should be the number one concern in any SC question. I like that you explained your reasoning, though, which I believe can be helpful to others who come across the question and its accompanying discussion. Kudos from me.

- Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Can you please help us understand why B is correct. In B we have

The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin rashes experienced by its users and pulled the drug off the market, causing---- I am finding it difficult to understand how a sharp drop in the company’s share price happened because of conceded.. i can understand it happened because of the pulling of drug off. As you said If you strip the sentence down to its barebones, we have

The company conceded and pulled X , causing-- Here it sounds like share prices came down because of conceded and pulled.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Turkish wrote:

Hello Andrew,

Can you please help us understand why B is correct. In B we have

The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin rashes experienced by its users and pulled the drug off the market, causing---- I am finding it difficult to understand how a sharp drop in the company’s share price happened because of conceded.. i can understand it happened because of the pulling of drug off. As you said If you strip the sentence down to its barebones, we have

The company conceded and pulled X , causing-- Here it sounds like share prices came down because of conceded and pulled.

Turkish - Sure thing. I will start by saying that this question took me about 30 seconds to answer--31, to be exact--not because I am a grammar maven, but because I have become adept at knowing what the answer cannot be, due to a lack of clarity or grammatical issues, and rarely does that knowledge betray me. If we look at each barebones sentence, we get the following:

(A) The company conceded [A] and, having pulled [B], caused [C].
(B) The company conceded [A] and pulled [B], causing [C].
(C) The company conceded [A] and had pulled [B], causing [C].
(D) The company conceded [A], pulled [B], and caused [C].
(E) The company conceded [A] and has pulled [B], which has caused [C].

The easy targets are (A), (C), and (E), all of which add words to no useful end. Specifically, (A) resorts to a weak -ing phrase when a more active verb tense would do (to answer the question, What did the company do?). Meanwhile, (C) and (E) both introduce perfect constructs for no apparent reason. That is, (C) creates an incorrect timeline, as discussed in my original post; although (E) could work grammatically in this stripped-down version of the sentence, unless there were a compelling reason to add extra words--namely, that a lack of clarity demanded it--such answers will not be correct. (D) has a nice bit of -ed conjugation going on, but in terms of meaning, the three actions sound concurrent, as though they were performed together: The company [A], [B], and [C]. (B) is the only choice that does, in fact, establish a clear cause-and-effect relationship within a clearly delineated timeline: The company [A] and [B], causing [C]. In this case, the reader understands the chain of events. The company announced something and decided to pull its own product off the market, thereby causing a certain effect. Again, it is not so much that I homed in on (B) right away, but rather than I burned off the other answers in passing.

I hope that explanation helps. If not, just post a reply, and I would be happy to address the issue in a different manner.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
Send PM
The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin rashes experienced by its users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused a sharp drop in the company’s share price.

(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused - Incorrect as it distorts meaning

(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing - Incorrect tense usage of Past Perfect Tense conveys incorrect meaning that first drug was pulled off the marked and then there was a drop in company's share price

(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused - Incorrect

(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused - comma-which modifier can be used only to modify nouns, also comma-which modifier can be used only as a non-essential modifier - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM

(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused - modification for causing cases is ing

(B) users and pulled the drug off the market, causing - correct answer

(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing - the actions were at the same time

(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused - modification for causing cases is ing

(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused - wrong modification
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts