Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: The physical structure of the human eye enables it to sense light of [#permalink]
Hi ,

Is it possible to eliminate few answer choices on the basis of position of however. ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The physical structure of the human eye enables it to sense light of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
EtaCarnia wrote:
Hi ,

Is it possible to eliminate few answer choices on the basis of position of however. ?

Hello EtaCarnia,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, no; the position of "however" is acceptable in all five answer choices.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
beckee529 wrote:
The physical structure of the human eye enables it to sense light of wavelengths up to 0.0005 millimeters; infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength—0.1 millimeters—is too long to be registered by the eye.

(A) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength—0.1 millimeters—is too long to be registered by the eye

(B) however, the wavelength of infrared radiation—0.1 millimeters—is too long to be registered by the eye making it invisible

(C) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength—0.1 millimeters—is too long for the eye to register it

(D) however, because the wavelength of infrared radiation is 0.1 millimeters, it is too long for the eye to register and thus invisible

(E) however, infrared radiation has a wavelength of 0.1 millimeters that is too long for the eye to register, thus making it invisible

I don't see any usage of indicating a contrast.(however -contrast)

instead it implies a reason i.e..

the IR IS INVISIBLE TO HUMAN EYE BECAUSE ITS WAVELENGHT IS TOO LONG ----REASON-----(ITS GIVEN IN 1ST SENTENCE) THAT IT CAN PROCESS ONLY UPTO A WAVELENGTH  of .0005 (AND ANYTHING ABOVE THAT WILL BE INVISIBLE...THATS WHY IR IS INVISIBLE.)

where is a contrast implied here?

if the IR is within the prescribed range and yet is invisible to human eye then there a contradiction would be established...

please help me with the confusion.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
In option C, my question comes from the fact that in many questions we see that pronouns having different antecedent, makes it incorrect. So, in this case when we are already saying that first it refers to IR, then how come can we have ambiguity about the second it.

Please explain. Thanks :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
The physical structure of the human eye enables it to sense light of wavelengths up to 0.0005 millimeters; infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength—0.1 millimeters—is too long to be registered by the eye.
(A) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength—0.1 millimeters—is too long to be registered by the eye - Correct
(B) however, the wavelength of infrared radiation—0.1 millimeters—is too long to be registered by the eye making it invisible - Verb- ing making illogically modifies making
(C) infrared radiation, however, is invisible because its wavelength—0.1 millimeters—is too long for the eye to register it - Pronoun it does not have clear antecedent
(D) however, because the wavelength of infrared radiation is 0.1 millimeters, it is too long for the eye to register and thus invisible - Verb invisible does not make sense
(E) however, infrared radiation has a wavelength of 0.1 millimeters that is too long for the eye to register, thus making it invisible - Illogical contrast

Answer A

intended meaning: IR is invisible because it is beyond the visible range of the human eye.

but the meaning is distorted by however
HOWEVER, must present a contrast to a fact already presented in its preceding sentence but here the sentence gives an explanation that IR cannot be viewed because it falls beyond the visible (wavelength) range of the human eye in the previous clause. Isn't it ambiguous?
is the usage of, however (apart from connecting 2 independent clauses) correct
I feel it's grammatically correct but logically wrong...
IF in case IR's wavelength falls within the visible range and yet is invisible due to some other reason then the usage of however would be precise

someone, please clear my doubt.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts