Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [32]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [7]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Re: The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of th [#permalink]
Kudos
The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of the plot elements used by modern fantasy authors. Since these modern fantasy authors are merely reusing story elements that have already been written, there is little or no value in their works.

A. No work that is based on an earlier work could possibly contain any additional plot or storytelling elements of value.
--> Negation to "Some work".

Can an expert please explain why this 100% breaks the conclusion. The prompt tells us that they merely reusing story elements, not that the 100% copy the story. Moreover there can be either little value in the copied works or no value.

Negation of A tells us that some of the works could contain some plots or storytelling of value. But does this really 100% breaks the conclusion that states that the copied stories have little value. Even if the the copies contain some unique element of value, this element can be small and results in just a little value. Because the conclusion also gives the possibility of little value in copies, imo the conclusion is not completely broken. Maybe almost but there is still a slight possibility that the conclusion holds.

Maybe an Expert could be so kind and explain this to me. Without the small word "little" I would agree with A but since little value is stated, it is possible that "some work that is based on an earlier work could possibly contain some additional plot or storytelling elements of value".

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of th [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The question asks for the assumption on which "the argument most strongly depends". The argument says new fantasy novels do not contain original plot elements. It then concludes that these new novels are of no value. The obvious foundational assumption is that the "value" of a novel stems from the originality of its plot elements (and not, say, from the quality or originality of the writing). That's the assumption on which the argument "most strongly depends", but it's not one of the answer choices, so the right answer isn't there. Answer A is doubly problematic, because it talks about works that are "based on an earlier work", and we have no reason to think modern fantasy novels are "based on" earlier ones; we only know they're in the same genre.

It's just not a good question, and is not worth studying.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Can anyone help me with negation of option (A). Is it a double-negative sentence?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
No, it is not a double-negative - there is only one negative "no".

Negation of option A:
At least some work that is based on an earlier work could possibly contain any additional plot or storytelling elements of value.

Thanks sayantanc2k This helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
after you have attempted serious practices, you can pick an answer with blind eyes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Weido.

Just as I thought too.Completely agree with you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 635 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
iamdp wrote:
The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of the plot elements used by modern fantasy authors. Since these modern fantasy authors are merely reusing story elements that have already been written, there is little or no value in their works.

The argument above most strongly depends on which of the following assumptions:

A. No work that is based on an earlier work could possibly contain any additional plot or storytelling elements of value.
B. Modern fantasy authors must have read the works of early fantasy authors.
C. Publishers are willing to promote works that deliberately recycle story elements from other stories.
D. Professional reviewers find little of value in the works of modern fantasy authors.
E. Modern fantasy authors typically sell many more books than did early fantasy authors.

Veritas Prep OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Correct Answer: A

As with any strengthen question, begin by finding the conclusion and premises used by the author's argument. The conclusion is that the works of modern fantasy authors are of little value. The supporting evidence (premises) is that modern works possess almost all of the plot elements of earlier works and that modern authors are reusing story elements. The assumption that links these two ideas is that modern works might not have other elements which make them worthwhile. This matches answer choice A. Answer choices B and C allude to some elements of deliberate plagiarism which are not actually required by the argument. Answer choices D and E are out of scope since they reference new elements of reviewers and sales, which are not involved in the original argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Dear experts, anyone can help to understand the first sentence
The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of the plot elements used by modern fantasy authors.

How works of EARLY authors contain elements of MODERN author ?
For me, EARLY is prior to MODERN. I can more understand easier that works of MODERN authors can contain elements of EARLY authors.
Seems I missed something, But I have no idea, please elaborate.

Thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
sayantanc2k
I was convinced with A but on reading B, I felt that it is an even essential condition because it is given that modern authors are merely reusing the elements of older works and so there is no value in their works

How can we reject B then?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 380 [0]
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of th [#permalink]
GDT wrote:
I was convinced with A but on reading B, I felt that it is an even essential condition because it is given that modern authors are merely reusing the elements of older works and so there is no value in their works

How can we reject B then?

Hey you can easily reject B, by reading the conclusion again. The conclusion is related to modern authors' value in their work. So assumption has to connect the value of modern author and the modern author himself. This is why the answer is A.

In what circumstances your answer is B. If your conclusion is - The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of the plot elements used by modern fantasy authors. If this statement is conclusion, then there should be connection between modern authors and how their plot contains works of early pioneering works of early author. Then they must have read the works of early author. Unfortunately this is premise not conclusion.
GMAT Club Bot
The pioneering works of early fantasy authors contain almost all of th [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts