It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 17:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous anim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous anim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 07:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:10) correct 67% (01:12) wrong based on 249 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous animals, both easily capable of killing humans and other large mammals.

A Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous animals, both easily capable of
B two most poisonous animals, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan, are both capable of easily
C most poisonous animals on earth, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan is easily capable of
D most poisonous animals on earth, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are both easily capable of
E Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are both most poisonous animals in the world, easily capable of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by dejavu619 on 23 Sep 2017, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [1], given: 562

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous anim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dejavu619 wrote:
The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous animals, both easily capable of killing humans and other large mammals.

A Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous animals, both easily capable of
B two most poisonous animals, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan, are both capable of easily
C most poisonous animals on earth, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan is easily capable of
D most poisonous animals on earth, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are both easily capable of
E Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are both most poisonous animals in the world, easily capable of

The answer is D

Split 1
In the original sentence the clause after should be a subordinate clause as there in no semicolon before that clause.
Or we should have a semicolon and an Independent clause but that is not the case here .
The original sentence does not have main verb which makes it a fragment and it is not clear who does the killing

Split 2

Both are easily capable of is the correct usage so B is out

Split 3

The subject here is plural so C is out
We are left with D and E
E changes the meaning as the main act is the killing that the sentence wants to focus and highlight .
Use of both is incorrect used as such in E what is the other characteristic apart from being poisonous ?
D is the answer

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [1], given: 562

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Premium Member
Re: The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous anim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 05:42
dejavu619 wrote:

Please underline " of ".
" of " should come under underlined portion.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous anim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 21:54
Why is A wrong and D right? mikemcgarry

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 71

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 07:45
I marked option D which is correct answer.
I was also confused between A and D

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Last edited by sahilvijay on 28 Sep 2017, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 12:06
why don't we put a comma in D after "....Taipan..."?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 12:17
AlexGmat2017 wrote:
why don't we put a comma in D after "....Taipan..."?

because , comma is not required in option D after Taipan
the correct sentence is
The most poisonous animals on earth, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are both easily capable of killing humans and other large mammals.
new modified sentence as per you wish is given below which lacks subject after the comma, are has no subject => also it can illogically suggest the most poisonous animals on earth are both easily capable of killing humans and other large mammals.
The most poisonous animals on earth, the Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan, are both easily capable of killing humans and other large mammals.

Hope your doubt is clear

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8932 [1], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hussain110 wrote:

Dear Hussain110,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is a flawed question. Choice (C) makes a SVA error, and (E) is a little awkward. Choices (A) & (D) are perfectly correct, and (B) is acceptable as well. In (A), the part after the comma is a correctly constructed appositive phrase: of course it doesn't have a verb, because appositive phrases don't have verbs!

The official questions have one clearly right answer and four answers that can be eliminated for clear and compelling reasons. This is a sloppily written SC question, with some minor distinction between (A) & (D) that does not clearly eliminate one or the other. In trying to be tricky, the author has produced a poor quality question. As someone who writes questions professionally, I would give this question a grade of an F. Studying poor quality questions will not advance your understanding.

Here's a high quality question:
J.S. Bach was more

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8932 [1], given: 111

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 14:28
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hussain110 wrote:

Dear Hussain110,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is a flawed question. Choice (C) makes a SVA error, and (E) is a little awkward. Choices (A) & (D) are perfectly correct, and (B) is acceptable as well. In (A), the part after the comma is a correctly constructed appositive phrase: of course it doesn't have a verb, because appositive phrases don't have verbs!

The official questions have one clearly right answer and four answers that can be eliminated for clear and compelling reasons. This is a sloppily written SC question, with some minor distinction between (A) & (D) that does not clearly eliminate one or the other. In trying to be tricky, the author has produced a poor quality question. As someone who writes questions professionally, I would give this question a grade of an F. Studying poor quality questions will not advance your understanding.

Here's a high quality question:
J.S. Bach was more

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

can you kindly tell "both" is used for frog and taipan or it is used for humans and mammals??

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 22:09
Thanks Mike, for your help!...I will look forward to questions posted by you henceforth.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 171 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I received a mention on this thread.

I concur with Mike McGarry, above, that this problem has serious issues.

More generally, the material from this source — at least the sampling that I've seen, anyway — has consistently been of dubious quality and/or relevance to the official GMAT exam.
I'd recommend avoiding this source, in general.

Please visit my corners of the web:
http://www.RonPurewal.com
http://www.facebook.com/RonPurewalGMAT
__

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi
__

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
—Yves Saint-Laurent

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 07:10
RonPurewal wrote:
I received a mention on this thread.

I concur with Mike McGarry, above, that this problem has serious issues.

More generally, the material from this source — at least the sampling that I've seen, anyway — has consistently been of dubious quality and/or relevance to the official GMAT exam.

Many thanks RON - I tagged you
Kindly advice - The word "BOTH" in above question is modifying frog and taipan or the killing Humans and Mammals , i mean to say like an idiom both A and B
Thanks once again for your reply

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'm going to quote myself, hah.

Quote:
the material from this source — at least the sampling that I've seen, anyway — has consistently been of dubious quality and/or relevance to the official GMAT exam.

^^ That. I meant that.

This problem bears very little resemblance to GMAC's problems, either semantically or functionally.
If you study this problem, the resulting lessons may mislead/misinform you, and/or degrade your focus on the things that actually decide OFFICIAL problems.

__

__

—Yves Saint-Laurent

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 08:09
RonPurewal wrote:
I'm going to quote myself, hah.

Quote:
the material from this source — at least the sampling that I've seen, anyway — has consistently been of dubious quality and/or relevance to the official GMAT exam.

^^ That. I meant that.

This problem bears very little resemblance to GMAC's problems, either semantically or functionally.
If you study this problem, the resulting lessons may mislead/misinform you, and/or degrade your focus on the things that actually decide OFFICIAL problems.

Okay - Thanks RON
i understood from your previous message only to avoid unofficial sources.
will keep that in mind..
Thanks very much...

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I was actually talking about the specific source from which THIS problem was taken — NOT passing judgment on all third-party sources.

(SOME third-party materials do, in fact, resemble the official problems with reasonable fidelity and consistency.)

__

__

—Yves Saint-Laurent

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 08:20
RonPurewal wrote:
I was actually talking about the specific source from which THIS problem was taken — NOT passing judgment on all third-party sources.

(SOME third-party materials do, in fact, resemble the official problems with reasonable fidelity and consistency.)

okay - understood 8-) :thumbup:

Re: The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous anim   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 08:20

The Poison Dart Frog and the Inland Taipan are the most poisonous anim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap