GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 10:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:18) correct 62% (01:19) wrong based on 307 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the ladies were missing since to grant them the status of missing persons require that they be gone for at least 24 hours.

A. declare that the ladies were missing since to grant them the status of missing persons require that they be gone

B. declare the ladies missing persons since to do so requires that they be gone

C. declare that the ladies were missing since granting them the status of missing persons require that they be gone

D declare that the ladies were missing since it is required that they be gone, in order to be granted the status of missing persons,

E. declaring that the ladies were missing since to grant them the status of missing persons requires that they be gone
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

TD

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
Re: The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 11:01
ozkardeso wrote:
C

Sent from my SM-N900L using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Here the option C is grammatically Incorrect. Because require is plural verb and doesn't agree with Singular subject granting

TD

Intern
Intern
B
Re: The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 06:22
Can we pls know why A is incorrect ...unable to understand the usage of "that".
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 08:18
Is it E? "Requires" should be correct use. So, left with B and E. "declare the ladies missing" is wrong in B.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Tridhipal wrote:
The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the ladies were missing since to grant them the status of missing persons require that they be gone for at least 24 hours.

A. declare that the ladies were missing since to grant them the status of missing persons require that they be gone

B. declare the ladies missing persons since to do so requires that they be gone

C. declare that the ladies were missing since granting them the status of missing persons require that they be gone

D declare that the ladies were missing since it is required that they be gone, in order to be granted the status of missing persons,

E. declaring that the ladies were missing since to grant them the status of missing persons requires that they be gone

hi..

aaarti94 and naval2272

the basic reasoning to choose the correct answer boils down to the usage of declare as idiom here..
Declare someone something or declare XY is a proper IDIOM and it is used correctly here - declare the ladies (NOUN) missing persons (NOUN)

Now WHY declare that is wrong here..
correct usage could be..
I declare that I will not rest until I score a perfect 800 in GMAT.

But here.. he does not have to declare that the ladies are missing, they are missing and that is why police has been approached.
The police has to declare them MISSING PERSONs

so B is correct

other errors in A
i) the status of... is singular and requires singular 'requires'.
ii) declare that is wrong
iii) wordy

declare is correct as it is used as a verb here
declare that is wrong

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 05:43
I think question is flawed. Split infinitive "to legally declar" is never correct on GMAT
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 06:54
why is D wrong?because the wrong meaning?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 06:54
:( why is D wrong?because the wrong meaning?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 06:57
D is wrong,maybe because it use a “passive form”:it is required、、、、、it reduce information
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 10:20
D is wrong,maybe because it use a “passive form”:it is required、、、、、it reduce information
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 02:59
Experts mikemcgarry VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja please guide for this question....I am not able to figure out why declare that usage is incorrect here....

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 11:44
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts mikemcgarry VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja please guide for this question....I am not able to figure out why declare that usage is incorrect here....

Dear vasuca10,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't have the highest opinion of this question. Among other things, I think the split-infinitive is embarrassing: "to legally declare." Split-infinitives are a contentious issue in English grammar. People with liberal views of grammar see no problem with them. Conservatives such as myself are horrified by them. The GMAT SC tends to lean toward the conservative side of grammar. I don't believe I have ever seen a split-infinitive as a part of the OA on an official question--I have seen a few sprinkled among choices that were incorrect for other reasons. It's not clear to me whether the author of this question even was aware of violating this norm. The entire sentence has a storybook feel, a narrative about specific people in a specific non-business situation: the GMAT doesn't really explore topics such as this. Furthermore, the GMAT scrupulously avoids potentially controversial or triggering topics: what if a GMAT test taker had a friend or relative actually go missing? This question could revive a traumatic memory for someone. The GMAT strives to avoid that. In many ways, this is not a particularly GMAT-like question.

Having said that, the OA is grammatically and idiomatically correct. Some feedback I will give you: when you ask about the usage of a word, you must put that word in quotes to distinguish it from your own words. I also use color to distinguish my words from what I'm quoting.
wrong = I am not able to figure out why declare that usage is incorrect here.
right = I am not able to figure out why the "declare that" usage is incorrect here.
better = I am not able to figure out why the "declare that" usage is incorrect here.

The word "declare" has a couple different correct constructions. One certainly is:
to declare that X is Y = for expounding an individual fact.
Another possible construction is
to declare [noun] {adjective]
In fact there are many verbs that have have a similar structure--they are followed by the [noun][adjective] structure. Technically, this is called an object predicative (that's a fancy grammar term that you do not need to know!) Here are examples:
The judge declared the men innocent.
The inspector declared the entire city block off-limits.
The scientist considered this alternative explanation invalid.
Columbus did not find the new world unoccupied.
His explanation made the issue clear.

All of those are grammatically correct. A related structure is [verb][noun][noun]
The President appointed him Secretary of Commerce.
I consider Ted Williams the greatest hitter ever.
The new technology makes several household objects potential weapons.

This is precisely the structure used here:
. . . declare the ladies missing persons . . .
That is 100% correct. Notice how elegant and compact it is. Here's the structure you suggested.
. . . declare that the ladies were missing persons . . .
Technically, this is still 100% grammatically correct, but it's long & clunky & awkward. This would be a trap to catch non-native speakers who are following mechanical rules and don't understand that subtleties of English.

My friend, I know I have recommended reading to you before, but I will recommend it again. Structures such as this simply would not seem so foreign to you if you had a regular habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Re: The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 11:44

The police officer adamantly refused to legally declare that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap