Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [23]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise [#permalink]
Kudos
The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise to power include
sudden crashes in the economy, discrimination and other methods of finding
scapegoats, inciting the masses to rebellion, and their protesting that the current
government may still be inadequate.

'incitement' keeps the parallelism

(A) inciting the masses to rebellion, and their protesting that the current government may still be inadequate
(B) inciting the masses to rebellion, and a protest that the current government may still be inadequate.
(C) an incitement of the masses to rebellion, and a protesting that the current government may still be inadequate.
(D) an incitement of the masses to rebellion, and a protest of the still inadequate current government
changes the meaning.
current government DOES NOT protest.
(E) an incitement of the masses to rebellion, and a protest that the current government may still be inadequate.
Correct.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TaN1213 wrote:
The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise to power include
scapegoats, inciting the masses to rebellion, and their protesting that the current
government may still be inadequate

(B) inciting the masses to rebellion, and a protest that the current government may still be inadequate.

mikemcgarry

Hello Mike,
Hope you're doing well. Please assist me with my query.

In spite of the comma before 'and', why can not the red part act as a modifier for the previous item of list -'discrimination....' , there by making the 'a protest..' third item of the list ? Where am I at fault in understanding the question the following way ?

1. sudden crashes in the economy
2. discrimination and other methods of finding scapegoats, inciting the masses to rebellion
3. a protest

Thank You.

Dear TaN1213,

Thank you for asking a very thoughtful and well-formulated question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

Usually, the MGMAT questions are superb--those people are brilliant! This one feels a little formulaic and unsatisfying. Typically, a good GMAT SC OA follows all the rules and is an incredibly well-written sentence. This one has an OA that, but in following the rules, it lands on something awkward.

The point you are raising is a legitimate issue in this question. Here's the thing, though. The word "inciting" could be read as either the third element of four in parallel, or as the modifier of the second element of three in parallel. That's ambiguity, and ambiguity is always wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT.

If we wanted to indicate clearly that "inciting" modifies the second element, I think we would have to rearrange the sentence:

The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise to power include sudden crashes in the economy, a protest that the current government may still be inadequate, and discrimination and other methods of finding scapegoats, separative techniques that incite the masses to rebel.

That version has no ambiguity, but it seems to have a meaning different from what the intelligent folks at MGMAT intended.

I don't know. Choice (B) feels most natural, although I understand that this version doesn't follow the GMAT rules to the letter. Choice (E) is technically correct but screamingly awkward. I don't know. I find this questions unsatisfying, one of the exceedingly few MGMAT questions that leaves me feeling this way.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Quote:

I saw the word finding and chose B. Finding --> Inciting for a parallel structure.

avik5503, Can you please explain what role does the word finding play here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
E. There is a list and A and B are out due to parallelism error because they must be nouns. Further in C there must be a noun after and to finish the list hence C is out. D is out because of meaning and modification error.

Of Finding is a prepositional phrase. Similar phrases are modifying the noun elements in the list.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
nitred wrote:
Quote:

I saw the word finding and chose B. Finding --> Inciting for a parallel structure.

avik5503, Can you please explain what role does the word finding play here?

nitred "discrimination and other methods of finding scapegoats" is an adverb of manner - how "sudden crashes in the economy" is achieved.

Even if we consider you point, then "of finding" becomes parallel to "inciting". Then "and a protest" must be parallel with the initial noun phrase "sudden crash"
The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise to power include sudden crashes in the economy [and]
The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise to power include a protest that the current government may still be inadequate.
Now, technically we need another "and" to join "finding" and "inciting". Eliminate B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
nitred wrote:

(A) inciting the masses to rebellion, and their protesting that the current government may still be inadequate
(C) an incitement of the masses to rebellion, and a protesting that the current government may still be inadequate.
(D) an incitement of the masses to rebellion, and a protest of the still inadequate current government
(E) an incitement of the masses to rebellion, and a protest that the current government may still be inadequate.

option A . has their ,which has not any clear antecedent and also ing is wrong modifier here
option B . same as A ing is wrong modifier
option C . run-on sentence
option D. and protest should be followed by that as two action being done here forces and protest .
hence option E left concise and clear .

hope it helps
please correct me where i am wrong :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
There are many good explanation in the forumBut I just want to add an extra information.

Option B would be correct if it were written as the inciting of the masses to rebellion.compound gerrund is always parallel to noun. :-D :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM

mikemcgarry

Hello Mike,

In spite of the comma before 'and', why can not the red part act as a modifier for the previous item of list -'discrimination....' , there by making the 'a protest..' third item of the list ? Where am I at fault in understanding the question the following way ?

2. discrimination and other methods of finding scapegoats, inciting the masses to rebellion
3. a protest

Thank You.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:

mikemcgarry

Hello Mike,

3. a protest

Thank You.

Dear TaN1213,

Thank you for asking a very thoughtful and well-formulated question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

Usually, the MGMAT questions are superb--those people are brilliant! This one feels a little formulaic and unsatisfying. Typically, a good GMAT SC OA follows all the rules and is an incredibly well-written sentence. This one has an OA that, but in following the rules, it lands on something awkward.

The point you are raising is a legitimate issue in this question. Here's the thing, though. The word "inciting" could be read as either the third element of four in parallel, or as the modifier of the second element of three in parallel. That's ambiguity, and ambiguity is always wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT.

If we wanted to indicate clearly that "inciting" modifies the second element, I think we would have to rearrange the sentence:

The political and social forces that may facilitate a dictator’s rise to power include sudden crashes in the economy, a protest that the current government may still be inadequate, and discrimination and other methods of finding scapegoats, separative techniques that incite the masses to rebel.

That version has no ambiguity, but it seems to have a meaning different from what the intelligent folks at MGMAT intended.

I don't know. Choice (B) feels most natural, although I understand that this version doesn't follow the GMAT rules to the letter. Choice (E) is technically correct but screamingly awkward. I don't know. I find this questions unsatisfying, one of the exceedingly few MGMAT questions that leaves me feeling this way.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you Mike. My thoughts were absolutely in consensus with yours.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM