GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

January 26, 2019

January 26, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 02:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (01:19) correct 73% (01:27) wrong based on 103 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate of 6 percent a year in the coming decade. Many of Dorthhampthon’s residents raised concerns regarding the effect of this growth on the recreation areas in the city's center, yet the Dorthhampthon mayor's office claims that such growth will not threaten the existence of any of these.

Which of the following, if true, will most strengthen the claim of the mayor's office?

(A) By attracting more new citizens, Dorthhampthon's municipality will be able to increase its budget for the development of recreation areas.
(B) Dorthhampthon's municipality intends to increase the city's jurisdiction, allocating new areas for parks and recreation in its surroundings.
(C) Dorthhampthon's ratio of park area per resident is about half that of similar cities in the region.
(D) The new housing projects in central Dorthhampthon are planned to replace lower buildings in older complexes.
(E) Annual population increase of 6 percent a year poses a significant challenge to the city's infrastructure.

Why is answer choice A wrong?
And can't we assume in answer choice B that the new areas will be able to handle the growth in population thereby strengthening the mayor's claim?

Kindly click on +1Kudos if my post helps you...

Intern
Intern
B
Re: The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 04:26
B I guess the strengthen parameter here is the existing shouldn’t be disturbed not make a profit.
Cheers,
Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 05:18
tarunanandani
@

Can you suggest the source of this question??

Please see the below mentioned reasons, which I think are not posing a firm answer to the question

(B) Dorthhampthon's municipality intends to increase the city's jurisdiction, allocating new areas for parks and recreation in its surroundings.-----it is just similar to D , because it does not address whether the pertinent increase of parks will sufficient to compensate for the increase of 6% growth of population.

(D) The new housing projects in central Dorthhampthon are planned to replace lower buildings in older complexes.----Even if this were true, it does not provide a firm answer whether this increase would be sufficient to compensate the 6% increase in population.

Please POST the OE

i think B and D are same in respect of strengthening

Gladiator59

nightblade354

suggest

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
D
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 05:30
yash123, (D) is the clear winner between the two. For B, they intend to, but what happens if it doesn’t happen? Because intent doesn’t help our cause, this cannot be our answer. We would have to assume it did or didn’t, and we can’t do this on the gmat or lsat

Posted from my mobile device

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:17
nightblade354 wrote:
yash123, (D) is the clear winner between the two. For B, they intend to, but what happens if it doesn’t happen? Because intent doesn’t help our cause, this cannot be our answer. We would have to assume it did or didn’t, and we can’t do this on the gmat or lsat

Posted from my mobile device

nightblade354

Gladiator59

Agree with your point, that intend does not lead to sure doing of things .
But, in Option D: it has stated that " Housing complex are planned" , it also means that it is not sure , whether it will be implemented or not.

I am confused, because both choices are making an assumption that the either of the action mentioned in B and D , would lead to solving a problem.

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

Originally posted by Yash312 on 12 Jan 2019, 05:39.
Last edited by Yash312 on 12 Jan 2019, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 06:01
Can someone provided detailed reply why all options except D are wrong. If it's about surety of the event happening then even D says - "Housing complex are planned".
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 08:53
Yash312 wrote:
tarunanandani
@

Can you suggest the source of this question??

Please see the below mentioned reasons, which I think are not posing a firm answer to the question

(B) Dorthhampthon's municipality intends to increase the city's jurisdiction, allocating new areas for parks and recreation in its surroundings.-----it is just similar to D , because it does not address whether the pertinent increase of parks will sufficient to compensate for the increase of 6% growth of population.

(D) The new housing projects in central Dorthhampthon are planned to replace lower buildings in older complexes.----Even if this were true, it does not provide a firm answer whether this increase would be sufficient to compensate the 6% increase in population.

Please POST the OE

i think B and D are same in respect of strengthening

Gladiator59

nightblade354

suggest

OE from (examPAL) is as follows:

We'll go for ALTERNATIVE because it is easier to use the answers than to figure out what would strengthen the argument.
What’s important to understand in the argument is that the mayor claims that the population increase won’t affect the existing recreation areas, not only recreation areas in general.
Therefore, (A) and (B), which might seem relevant since they discuss new recreation areas, are not relevant – since they don’t address the concern that the exiting areas will be harmed.
(C) is completely irrelevant.
(D) directly addresses the issue: if the new housing replaces existing housing, it won’t affect existing recreation areas.
(E) is irrelevant and weakens the argument: it describes a negative effect of the population growth.

Kindly click on +1Kudos if my post helps you...

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 07:32
Ok !
Very different take here.
Keyword is "CENTRE of the city " recreational areas.
B---->Supposedly this option turns into reality, still we can accept that the particular park in the centre may be demolished for another huge sky scrapper ? OUT
D----> Recreational centrs in the centre , still stand. D IN

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jan 2019, 07:32

The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap