GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 09:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 07:36
Answer A

Only this relates with the assumption of author that population increase will not have adverse effect
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 07:59
(A) By attracting more new citizens, Dorthhampthon's municipality will be able to increase its budget for the development of recreation areas. - we're only concerned with retaining the areas.
(B) Dorthhampthon's municipality intends to increase the city's jurisdiction, allocating new areas for parks and recreation in its surroundings. - tricky choice. we want to retain existing areas not build new ones.

(C) Dorthhampthon's ratio of park area per resident is about half that of similar cities in the region. - Irrelevant
(D) The new housing projects in central Dorthhampthon are planned to replace lower buildings in older complexes. - This helps to lower housing costs
(E) Annual population increase of 6 percent a year poses a significant challenge to the city's infrastructure. - This weakens the mayor's office's claim.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 10:27
IMO for D to be true the word "ONLY" is a must because in its present form we do not know whether new projects will threaten recreation areas or not. We only know about old buildings.

Please correct me if am wrong.

(D) The new housing projects in central Dorthhampthon are planned to replace lower buildings in older complexes.

Posted from my mobile device

" I CAN AND I WILL"

Your suggestions will be appreciated here---> https://gmatclub.com/forum/your-one-advice-could-help-me-poor-gmat-scores-299072.html

1) Gmat prep: [620 Q48 V27], 2) Gmat prep: [610 Q47 V28], 3) Gmat prep: [620 Q47 V28],
4) Gmat prep: [660 Q47 V34], 5) Gmat prep: [560 Q37 V29], 6) Gmat prep: [540 Q39 V26],
7) Veritas Cat: [620 Q46 V30], 8) Veritas Cat: [630 Q45 V32]
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 10:47
Prasannathawait wrote:
IMO for D to be true the word "ONLY" is a must because in its present form we do not know whether new projects will threaten recreation areas or not. We only know about old buildings.

(D) The new housing projects in central Dorthhampthon are planned to replace lower buildings in older complexes.

Hi,

No "only" is not required.
Basically the idea is only to strengthen. Strengthen is always about possibilities. So if I say that it will replace old ones then as per the context we only know that there are high chances that they won't replace the recreational areas, thereby not challenging their existence.

Regards,
Rishav
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 10:52
rish2708 wrote:
Prasannathawait wrote:

Hi,

Basically the idea is only to strengthen. Strengthen is always about possibilities. So if I say that it will replace old ones then as per the context we only know that there are high chances that they won't replace the recreational areas, thereby not challenging their existence.

Regards,
Rishav

Then for the below answer also I can say that there are high chances that they will not threaten any as they will develop the areas..

"By attracting more new citizens, Dorthhampthon's municipality will be able to increase its budget for the development of recreation areas"

" I CAN AND I WILL"

Your suggestions will be appreciated here---> https://gmatclub.com/forum/your-one-advice-could-help-me-poor-gmat-scores-299072.html

1) Gmat prep: [620 Q48 V27], 2) Gmat prep: [610 Q47 V28], 3) Gmat prep: [620 Q47 V28],
4) Gmat prep: [660 Q47 V34], 5) Gmat prep: [560 Q37 V29], 6) Gmat prep: [540 Q39 V26],
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 11:02
Prasannathawait wrote:
rish2708 wrote:
Prasannathawait wrote:

Hi,

Regards,
Rishav

Then for the below answer also I can say that there are high chances that they will not threaten any as they will develop the areas..

"By attracting more new citizens, Dorthhampthon's municipality will be able to increase its budget for the development of recreation areas"

Hmm, There is a subtle difference in how you wrote your statement and what Option A says.

Option A says [orthhampthon's municipality will be able to increase its budget for the development of recreation areas.
You say that they will not threaten any as they will develop the areas..
The collection of budget will necessitate the development? How likely within the context is that?

Now compare A and D
How likely do you feel that collection of Budget would protect those areas?
And how likely is it that if the new buildings are made in older ones the recreational ones would be protected?

Regards,
Rishav
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 11:16
Hi,

Regards,
Rishav[/quote]

"By attracting more new citizens, Dorthhampthon's municipality will be able to increase its budget for the development of recreation areas"[/quote]

Hmm, There is a subtle difference in how you wrote your statement and what Option A says.

Option A says [orthhampthon's municipality will be able to increase its budget for the development of recreation areas.
You say that they will not threaten any as they will develop the areas..
The collection of budget will necessitate the development? How likely within the context is that?

Now compare A and D
How likely do you feel that collection of Budget would protect those areas?
And how likely is it that if the new buildings are made in older ones the recreational ones would be protected?

Regards,
Rishav[/quote]

I am still not convinced.
Maybe I am unable to get that subtlety. But Gmat doesn't care what I think.

But Thanks for the explanation.

" I CAN AND I WILL"

Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 11:37
Prasannathawait wrote:
I am still not convinced.
Maybe I am unable to get that subtlety. But Gmat doesn't care what I think.

But Thanks for the explanation.

See, the question is which of the following option STRENGTHENS the most. So when I say that, then it's about which of the following is MOST likely.

Option A says that with increase in population BUDGET for development will increase. Now do you know how religiously they would use the budget? Will that budget be SUFFICIENT enough to make those recreational areas SUSTAINABLE? There are some 2-3 or 4 assumptions you need to make. So that is why this option even though it strengthens, this would be very LESS LIKELY as there are some big leaps you need to create.

On other hand option D says that the new ones would replace old ones. How much belief you get? it's relatively high right? I mean you now know that the new ones would replace old ones then its HIGHLY LIKELY that the recreational areas might not get disturbed.

I hope this clears a bit your thought. But in any case, some experts might help you bb, nightblade354

Regards,
Rishav
GMAT Club Bot
The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2019, 11:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 88 posts ] 

The population of Dorthhampthon is expected to grow at an average rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics