It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 883 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 22:16
Hi e-gmat,

The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through to winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

My Analysis:

Logical structure:

PV : Breeds throughout the year.
Lives in group, primarily extended family

Late.A to Winter: Large group
Spring to Early.A: Small group

Conclusion: Variation in mortality caused seasonal variation in mortality among young voles. (Please confirm whether the passage is causal passage?)

Implicit Assumption:
There is no other cause for seasonal variation such as decrease in population of other demographic group.

Prethinking:
The population of other demographic group or the mortality of them remain constant throughout the year.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered ?

E. Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn.
Now this didn't even picture in our pre thinking?

My doubts in RED.

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 883 [0], given: 322

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16940 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 21:27
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

A. It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.

B. Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year.

C. The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring.

D. Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.

E. Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16940 [0], given: 1961

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2014, 04:56
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

A. It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles - If this is the case then population must me large in spring instead of small.

B. Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year - Already sated in passage.

C. The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring - If this is the case then population must me large in spring instead of small.

D. Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing - If this is the case then population must me small in winters instead of large.

E. Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn - Correct. Snakes, predator of young voles, are active during spring-autumn hence population be small.

OA please

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 13:36
D is my take. "Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups".

from late autumn through winter--->live in large groups
from spring through early autumn--->most voles live in far smaller groups

Thus they are getting killed gradually on the late autumn through winter time. D tells us that winter is rash and drops below freezing, which could kill the young ones. So the population of voles will be less at the end of winter. And sequntial time of spring through early autumn, the population will be lower.

Correct me if I am wrong..

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 18:01
I picked D with a reasoning somewhat similar to that of jaituteja. It would be great if someone could explain why this line of reasoning is wrong.

1. As mentioned, we are talking of a difference in group size, NOT in population. Most of the reasoning in this thread is assuming that they are equivalent.
2. It has been stated that we are looking at Infant Mortality as the reason behind change in group size.

I reasoned that in higher social animals such as these, groups will form with a purpose. In times where harsher conditions / elements would cause higher infant mortality, groups will form to better protect infants against those conditions.

A, B, C are obvious candidates for elimination.
D. Harsh winters would naturally cause higher mortality and would affect infants more than it would adults. Larger groups could huddle together for warmth and thus protect the infants. So they are preferable. The timings are in conformity, so this is a potential answer.
E. Larger groups could also form to protect against predators as groups of adults might be able to fend off snakes. Sounds promising, but the timing is wrong. Snakes come out at one time, groups are larger at other times. Eliminate.

In my mind, the connection between Group size and Infant mortality is a 2-step one. Where the common answer here suggests that Group size is a direct indication of Infant mortality, I posit that Groups are forming to mitigate high mortality - which kind of reverses the causality. I continue to find this more reasonable than assuming that Group size and Population size are one and the same thing.

Would somebody please point out where I might be going wrong?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 04:28
quiet888 wrote:
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through to winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered ?

A. It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.

B. Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year.

C. The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring.

D. Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.

Source: GMATPrep CR PDF
Need to find support for why the population differs in summers than winters. Hence E.

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 123

The prairie vole, a smal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 05:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

(A) It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.
(B) Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year.
(C) The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring.
(D) Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.
(E) Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn.

Regards,
Sam GM

Kudos please...

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 123

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 21:36
Premise: The voles are in abundance from autumn to winter, but are very few in number from spring through autumn. This is explained because of the mortality in your voles.

To support the reason given, we need to find something that justifies the mortality of the young voles.
Of the given option, option E tells us just the same. It gives us a reason why the young voles do not survive. because they are hunted by the snakes.

Correct option: E

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 11:20
During the season in which the group numbers are low E offers a strengthener explaining why the mortality may occur - activity of predatory snakes!

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 197

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 10:34
GMATNinja souvik101990

Can it be argued that the groups start larger in winters but because of its intensity not many young ones survive and that is why by the time it is spring the group size decreases.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 21

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1552 [0], given: 399

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 08:41
ravjai81 wrote:
GMATNinja souvik101990

Can it be argued that the groups start larger in winters but because of its intensity not many young ones survive and that is why by the time it is spring the group size decreases.

If that were the case, we would expect the group size to decline throughout the winter. We are told that "voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter." This explanation would only make sense if a large proportion of the voles suddenly died towards the end of the winter.

Regardless, don't worry about inventing your own explanations. Your job is to analyze the choices given!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1552 [0], given: 399

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent,   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 08:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap