It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 55

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2008, 09:03
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (01:03) correct 23% (01:06) wrong based on 778 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through to winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered ?

A. It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.

B. Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year.

C. The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring.

D. Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.

E. Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn.

Source: GMATPrep CR PDF
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by TGC on 04 Sep 2014, 21:38, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1120

Kudos [?]: 2374 [2], given: 219

Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:06
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jaituteja wrote:
OA is E...Why are other options wrong??
Can someone explain...!!!!


We have to provide support to the claim:
The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.
We have to connect seasonal variation==> seasonal variation in mortality somehow (also note that the conclusion talks about "among young voles").
Winter = high
Spring through early autumn = low

A. It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.
This goes against the passage, who says that in spring the young voles should diminish.
B. Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year.
By how much the size varies does not helps us in establishing our point.
C. The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring.
Keep an eye on the conclusion we are trying to prove: our focus must be on the young voles.
We can infer something like "so the population is likely to increase in spring" reading C, which anyway is against the passage.
D. Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.
Keep in mind that during winter the number are higher and during spring through early autumn the numbers are lower. If we know that despite harsh condition the population grows, we still do not have anything to connect YOUNG VOLES to the seasonal variation in mortality.
E. Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn.
Look at E: it has all the key words (young prairie voles, spring through early autumn) and supports our conclusion stated above.

Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn. => so during this period it feeds on young voles mainly, so we have connected
seasonal variation in group size ==> seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2374 [2], given: 219

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 538

Kudos [?]: 618 [1], given: 2

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2009, 07:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
The prairle vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the followings, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

1. It is in the spring and early summer that prairle vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.
2. Prairle vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year
3. The prairle vole subsists primarily on bread-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring
4. Winters in the prairle voles’ habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.
5. Snakes, a major predator of young prairle vole, are active only from spring through early summer

Kudos [?]: 618 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 18:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
I picked D with a reasoning somewhat similar to that of jaituteja. It would be great if someone could explain why this line of reasoning is wrong.

1. As mentioned, we are talking of a difference in group size, NOT in population. Most of the reasoning in this thread is assuming that they are equivalent.
2. It has been stated that we are looking at Infant Mortality as the reason behind change in group size.

I reasoned that in higher social animals such as these, groups will form with a purpose. In times where harsher conditions / elements would cause higher infant mortality, groups will form to better protect infants against those conditions.

A, B, C are obvious candidates for elimination.
D. Harsh winters would naturally cause higher mortality and would affect infants more than it would adults. Larger groups could huddle together for warmth and thus protect the infants. So they are preferable. The timings are in conformity, so this is a potential answer.
E. Larger groups could also form to protect against predators as groups of adults might be able to fend off snakes. Sounds promising, but the timing is wrong. Snakes come out at one time, groups are larger at other times. Eliminate.

In my mind, the connection between Group size and Infant mortality is a 2-step one. Where the common answer here suggests that Group size is a direct indication of Infant mortality, I posit that Groups are forming to mitigate high mortality - which kind of reverses the causality. I continue to find this more reasonable than assuming that Group size and Population size are one and the same thing.

Would somebody please point out where I might be going wrong?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 97

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2008, 01:35
I say E.

The argument implies that the variation in group size is related to the mortality rate in young voles. The groups are smallest from spring to early autumn. If snakes that eat young voles are only active from spring to early autumn, this would cause smaller groups during that time due to the fact that young voles are dying (being eaten). Therefore, this would support the argument.
_________________

MBA Blog: University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management- http://unconventionalapplicant.blogspot.com/

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 585

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 34

Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2008, 02:26
Why do prarie vols live in smaller groups from spring through early autumn? They get eaten by snakes!

E is the best answer.
_________________

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 34

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 893

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2009, 07:33
Friend, One Request
pls mention GPREP Q in subject line(If you are knowingly posting GPrep Q)

Btw,good Q indeed :)
we have to justify/support the explanation here
How the seasonal variation in mortality among young voles??

Its D
because Snakes are killing the young voles during "early summer" period.
thanks.
_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: rowan university
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2009, 16:34
reply2spg wrote:
The prairle vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the followings, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

1. It is in the spring and early summer that prairle vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.
2. Prairle vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year
3. The prairle vole subsists primarily on bread-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring
4. Winters in the prairle voles’ habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.
5. Snakes, a major predator of young prairle vole, are active only from spring through early summer


E is the best choice, because we are concerned here about the mortality among young voles, which is the main cause of the seasonal variation of Mortality among voles.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: IIMA
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2009, 22:37
i think ans should be D, because the groups are large from aut to winter and spring to Autumn, the only period remain for smaller group is winter to spring. reason given in D clearly explains this, while the period in option E is when the group are large.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2008
Posts: 150

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 8

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 18:57
reply2spg wrote:
The prairle vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the followings, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

1. It is in the spring and early summer that prairle vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.
2. Prairle vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year
3. The prairle vole subsists primarily on bread-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring
4. Winters in the prairle voles’ habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.
5. Snakes, a major predator of young prairle vole, are active only from spring through early summer

It's a gmat prep indeed and OA is E. Mortality among young voles from spring through early summer because Snakes - a major predator of young prairle vole, are active only during this time

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 169

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 07:38
kotela wrote:
with E,

Can anyone explain how C was thrown out?



We need to support mortality as one of the reason for seasonal variation in group size

C is not showing coz of mortality

E is showing so E it is

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 105

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 45

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:59
Why is D not correct in this? Is it because D does not mention an explicit link between harshness and infant mortality?
_________________

We appreciate your kudos'

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 45

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 10:51
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mydreammba wrote:
with E,

Can anyone explain how C was thrown out?


C is wrong because if there is no food also older rodents will die.
D Ok harsh winter older rodents can die too.
Only E refers to a cause of death for young rodents

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 156

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 67

Location: Poland
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 11:26
quiet888 wrote:
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through to winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?


Correct answer will provide the reason why young voles die more often from spring through early autumn. (This is the explanation offered.)
Quote:
A. It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles.

Proportions within the communities of voles are irrelevant.

Quote:
B. Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year.

Does it explain why more than usual voles die from spring through early autumn?

Quote:
C. The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring.

This piece of information weakens the explanation: If there is more food to feed on, the voles should proliferate. That would result in an increased number of voles.

Quote:
D. Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.

The temperatures in winter are irrelevant. Many ways to circumvent this hint.

Quote:
E. Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn.

Does it explain why more than usual voles die from spring through early autumn?
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 67

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 16:24
C. snakes wake in spring and it small rodents.
B. Says only that there is a variation in the population not why this happens

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 866

Kudos [?]: 1451 [0], given: 543

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2013, 02:49
I did pick E but C was very tempting can someone explain? Thanks
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1451 [0], given: 543

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 147

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 41

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:22
Thanks for the explanations... KUDOS..!!!!

I have a doubt and need clarification..

"Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through to winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups."

This only states that the group size was reduced.Maybe, the family consists of 10 members from late autumn through winter and got separated forming smaller 5 groups each of 2 member from spring through early autumn.. Just as we have nuclear and joint families.
This does not mean the voles were low or high... Maybe their number was same....

I need clarity on this...
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 41

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1120

Kudos [?]: 2374 [0], given: 219

Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:41
jaituteja wrote:
Thanks for the explanations... KUDOS..!!!!

I have a doubt and need clarification..

"Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through to winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups."

This only states that the group size was reduced.Maybe, the family consists of 10 members from late autumn through winter and got separated forming smaller 5 groups each of 2 member from spring through early autumn.. Just as we have nuclear and joint families.
This does not mean the voles were low or high... Maybe their number was same....

I need clarity on this...


Your reasoning is correct, that can happen BUT if that's the case we would not be able to prove that:
The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.
as we are asked to. Your point could work like a weakener option. We have to prove what the conclusion states (a thing that E does), not to weaken it...

Also note that we are not allowed to reduce the number as much as we like because
a group consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. So the average group consists of an extended family and litters, their number grows and then declines, and we are asked to connect this variation to the mortality of the young voles. Nothing more.

Hope I've explained myself well
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2374 [0], given: 219

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 147

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 41

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:52
Zarrolou wrote:
jaituteja wrote:
Thanks for the explanations... KUDOS..!!!!


Your reasoning is correct, that can happen BUT if that's the case we would not be able to prove that:
The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.
as we are asked to. Your point could work like a weakener option. We have to prove what the conclusion states (a thing that E does), not to weaken it...

Also note that we are not allowed to reduce the number as much as we like because
a group consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. So the average group consists of an extended family and litters, their number grows and then declines, and we are asked to connect this variation to the mortality of the young voles. Nothing more.

Hope I've explained myself well


You have explained really well brother..!!!

I agree that we need to focus on the conclusion... I was just trying to explore the argument..

I was pre-thinking that if rodents were living in small groups, they were not able to gather much food or any other requirement,leading to death of young voles.(because of food scarcity), etc..
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 41

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 27

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 09:53
quiet888 wrote:
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of voles living together consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn through to winter; from spring through early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in group size can probably be explained by seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered ?

A. It is in the spring and early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles. weakens argument. we want the proportion of young voles to be low during the spring

B. Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year. year to year variations in size is irrelevant, we are look at the seasonal changes in population

C. The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring. completely out of scope. what does this have to do with population size in spring? Neither weakens nor strengthens

D. Winters in the prairie voles' habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing. this weakens the argument. Remember that population is highest during winter, we don't want evidence that says winter is the harshest season. This wouldn't make sense to our argument. If winter season is harsh, the population size should then be lower in winter than in spring.

E. Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, are active only from spring through early autumn. this is the only that explains why the population is lower in the spring than in winter.


Please give me kudos if my post has helped you :-D

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 27

Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent,   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 09:53

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.