It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 13:07

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (00:34) correct 30% (01:18) wrong based on 10 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price is further reduced by 25%.these two reductions are a single reduction of?

A.30% B.40% C.47% D.15% E.55%

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Edit: by carcass
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2012
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2013, 17:19
Are you sure, that your results are correct ?

Normally it would be:

x*(1-0,3)*(1-0,25) = x*0,7*0,75 = 0,525 = 52,5%.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 405

Kudos [?]: 960 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Re: the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2013, 17:58
**The problem should have asked for 'approximate value' as the choices do not include the exact value 47.5.

Assume price of chocolate as 100
Then the reduced price = \(100*(0.70)*(0.75) = 52.5\)
Total reduction = \(100-52.5 =47.5 \approx{47}\)

Hence Choice(C) should be the answer
_________________

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Looking to finance your tuition: Click here

Kudos [?]: 960 [0], given: 184

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2013, 05:11
Alexmsi wrote:
Are you sure, that your results are correct ?

Normally it would be:

x*(1-0,3)*(1-0,25) = x*0,7*0,75 = 0,525 = 52,5%.


@ prapon even though the problem could have asked for approximation,IMO the solution could have been what alexmsi has gotten but unfortunately it is not one of the answer choices above..how did you come by the answer choice C?

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3422

Kudos [?]: 9510 [0], given: 1203

Re: the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2013, 05:27
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
Alexmsi wrote:
Are you sure, that your results are correct ?

Normally it would be:

x*(1-0,3)*(1-0,25) = x*0,7*0,75 = 0,525 = 52,5%.


@ prapon even though the problem could have asked for approximation,IMO the solution could have been what alexmsi has gotten but unfortunately it is not one of the answer choices above..how did you come by the answer choice C?



first of all the lack of such description in the question stem, as pointed out by Prapron suggests that this is not a gmat-like question

Moreover this is a successive %

Pick 100 reduced by 30 % we have 70 reduced again by 25 % we have 17.5% so the overall decrease is 47.5 % so C must be the answer

Hope this helps
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9510 [0], given: 1203

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2013, 07:27
carcass wrote:
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
Alexmsi wrote:
Are you sure, that your results are correct ?

Normally it would be:

x*(1-0,3)*(1-0,25) = x*0,7*0,75 = 0,525 = 52,5%.


@ prapon even though the problem could have asked for approximation,IMO the solution could have been what alexmsi has gotten but unfortunately it is not one of the answer choices above..how did you come by the answer choice C?



first of all the lack of such description in the question stem, as pointed out by Prapron suggests that this is not a gmat-like question

Moreover this is a successive %

Pick 100 reduced by 30 % we have 70 reduced again by 25 % we have 17.5% so the overall decrease is 47.5 % so C must be the answer

Hope this helps


ya it really helps carcass..but am still left with little understanding on why we added 17.5 to 30..i also wonder why 17.5 has been represented in percent,because looking at the problem above,17.5 is a value that we need to subtract from 70 when reduced by 25 percent..would you please explain why you added 17.5 to 30 but not 25 to 30 if we are get total percentage.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2013, 07:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

the price of chocolate is reduced by 30% and the new price i

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.