GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Re: The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 04:56
sagarsabnis wrote:

The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased from military contractors is determined by a pricing method called “historical costing.” Historical costing allows contractors to protect their profits by adding a percentage increase, based on the current rate of inflation, to the previous year’s contractual price.

Which of the following statements, if true, is the best basis for a criticism of historical costing as an economically sound pricing method for military contracts?

(A) The government might continue to pay for past inefficient use of funds.
(B) The rate of inflation has varied considerably over the past twenty years.
(C) The contractual price will be greatly affected by the cost of materials used for the products.
(D) Many taxpayers question the amount of money the government spends on military contracts.
(E) The pricing method based on historical costing might not encourage the development of innovative weapons.

please can anyone try this

How is A weakening the argument?
The stem says best basis for a criticism of historical costing as an economically sound pricing method for military contracts.
If the govt is using funds inefficiently, it means the govt is spending more => military contracters are able to earn more profit.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 01:21
i think the word "inefficient" is poorly used and can cause ambiguity

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Intern
Intern
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 09:51
FOR ALL THE DOUBTS ON QUESTION STEM PERSPECTIVE & CORRECT OPTION'S ACCURACY:-

It does NOT matter against which side the stem is asking for the weaker. The stem is rather asking on behalf of both sides i.e. "whether the mentioned pricing method is economically correct or not ???".

Now, correct option(i.e. A) states that - "the govt. had been incorrectly paying extra money in previous year and govt. will still continue with this..". This clearly implies that this costing system is not correct and thus not economically sound.

Guys, I too had my share of scepticism on this question. But as the saying goes - "..never doubt on an OG question", and as per popular cliche - "...GMAC is never wrong !"

Cheers ! :punk

** When even your best effort fails, do you back down from chasing your dreams ??? **

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 02:24
sagarsabnis wrote:
And thats the OA.

I had picked E as the answer thinking that of the new weapons are not going to be developed then why should government invest in it. That was my thinking. Can anyone explain why this is wrong?

The question stem is talking about Standard weapons, which likely means things that are fixed in their capabilities and technologies. for eg: AK47. So, further innovation is not a matter of concern to the author or to the govt about procuring them.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 02:45
sarb wrote:
gmatsaga wrote:
sarb wrote:
The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased from military contractors is determined by a pricing method called 'historical costing'. Historical costing allows contractors to protect their profits by adding a percentage increase, based on the current rate of inflation, to the previous year's contractual price.

Which of the following statements. if true, is the best basis for a criticism of historical costing as an economically sound pricing method for military contracts?

The government might continue to pay for past inefficient use of funds.
The rate of inflation has varied considerably over the past twenty years.
The contractual price will be greatly affected by the cost of materials used for the product.
Many taxpayers question the amount of money the government spends on military contracts.
The pricing method based on historical costing might not encourage the development of innovative weapons.

Premise: Price determined by historical costing
Premise: Historical costing to protect profits
Conclusion: None

What needs to be done: Criticize historical costing

The government might continue to pay for past inefficient use of funds. - This is what we want. It will be grounds to criticize the point of historical costing.

The rate of inflation has varied considerably over the past twenty years. - If you understood the passage then this is an automatic eliminate. Inflation necessitated the need for historical pricing.

The contractual price will be greatly affected by the cost of materials used for the product. - Now this is out of scope. And of course, this won't criticize.

Many taxpayers question the amount of money the government spends on military contracts. - This is also out of scope.

The pricing method based on historical costing might not encourage the development of innovative weapons. Ah! This is a very tempting answer choice. But what makes it wrong? Read it carefully, it says "INNOVATIVE WEAPONS." The passage, in contrast, just talks about "STANDARD WEAPONS." This is a trap! This goes to show how ONE WORD COULD MAKE OR BREAK an answer choice.

thanks a lot for the explanations :)

I have some doubt with the explanation. I actually did not understand the statement 'The government might continue to pay for past inefficient use of funds'. Are we really concerned about how government fund is used? Whether the use is efficient and or inefficient, does that really count here? The argument is asking to weaken the the fact 'historical costing as an economically sound pricing method for military contracts'. Now what 'Economically Sound method' actually means?

I thought that the whole economy of Standard weapon is dependent on previous year’s contractual price (As per the argument). So any future indication of damaging contractual price should actually weaken the fact that this method of pricing is economically sound. That is what C is saying. So I thought C. What is your opinion here?
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 00:35
The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased from military contractors is determined by a pricing method called “historical costing.” Historical costing allows contractors to protect their profits by adding a percentage increase, based on the current rate of inflation, to the previous year’s contractual price.

Which of the following statements, if true, is the best basis for a criticism of historical costing as an economically sound pricing method for military contracts?

(A) The government might continue to pay for past inefficient use of funds.

(B) The rate of inflation has varied considerably over the past twenty years.

(C) The contractual price will be greatly affected by the cost of materials used for the products.

(D) Many taxpayers question the amount of money the government spends on military contracts.

(E) The pricing method based on historical costing might not encourage the development of innovative weapons.

GMATNinja, Could you help with this question?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 10:24

(A) The government might continue to pay for past inefficient use of funds. -Correct. The government is continuing to make bad deals

(B) The rate of inflation has varied considerably over the past twenty years. -Incorrect. Even if it has varied, it will still increase

(C) The contractual price will be greatly affected by the cost of materials used for the products. -Cost of material is out of scope

(D) Many taxpayers question the amount of money the government spends on military contracts. -Out of scope

(E) The pricing method based on historical costing might not encourage the development of innovative weapons. -the argument is talking about standard weapons

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 10:21
gmatexam439 wrote:

(A) The government might continue to pay for past inefficient use of funds. -Correct. The government is continuing to make bad deals

(B) The rate of inflation has varied considerably over the past twenty years. -Incorrect. Even if it has varied, it will still increase

(C) The contractual price will be greatly affected by the cost of materials used for the products. -Cost of material is out of scope

(D) Many taxpayers question the amount of money the government spends on military contracts. -Out of scope

(E) The pricing method based on historical costing might not encourage the development of innovative weapons. -the argument is talking about standard weapons

Thanks gmatexam439!

hazelnut, sorry for missing your question! If you still need help with this one, please use the request verbal experts' reply button and let us know what you are thinking.

www.gmatninja.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2017, 10:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap