GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 04:38
2
1
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:28) correct 31% (01:14) wrong based on 277 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Marshall & McDonough Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1686
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 07:21
3
Probability of winning exactly once --> A wins and B loses or A loses and B wins
= X(1 - Y) + (1 - X)Y
= X - XY + Y - XY
= X + Y - 2XY

Answer: D
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 98
Location: United States
GPA: 3.37
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 12:54
I picked numbers

X=1/3
Y=1/4

Probability of winning A and losing B (1/3)*(3/4)=1/4
Probability of losing A and winning B (2/3)*(1/4)=1/6

Because it is either option A OR option B we add the two probabilities together

1/4+1/6=5/12. If you plug the numbers back into the answer choices you will get D.
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Status: Come! Fall in Love with Learning!
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 535
Location: India
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 04:24
P(game A win) = X, P(game A lose) = 1-X
P(game B win) = Y, P(game B lose) = 1-Y
P(exactly one game win = P(game A win) P(game B lose) + P(game B win) P(game A lose) = X(1-Y) + Y(1-X) = X +Y -2XY. Option D
_________________
GMAT Mentors
Image
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Dec 2016
Posts: 95
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 21:16
Bunuel wrote:
The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning game B is Y. When playing a single round of each of the two games, what is the probability of winning exactly once?

A. X-YX
B. XY
C. X+Y
D. X+Y-2XY
E. X^2Y^2-XY^2-X^2Y


Hi,

I used the following approach :
P(Winning A) = X
P(Winning B) = Y
p(Winning Both) = X.Y

Total = X+Y-XY

Kindly suggest where I'm going wrong.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 13:33
ByjusGMATapp wrote:
P(game A win) = X, P(game A lose) = 1-X
P(game B win) = Y, P(game B lose) = 1-Y
P(exactly one game win = P(game A win) P(game B lose) + P(game B win) P(game A lose) = X(1-Y) + Y(1-X) = X +Y -2XY. Option D



Confused why is this not X+y following gmatclub_dot_com/forum/the-probability-that-team-a-will-not-win-the-tournament-is-80-and-the-261771.html
Appreciate helpful hints.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Student
Joined: 07 Jun 2018
Posts: 59
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 13:55
Sguha0305 wrote:
ByjusGMATapp wrote:
P(game A win) = X, P(game A lose) = 1-X
P(game B win) = Y, P(game B lose) = 1-Y
P(exactly one game win = P(game A win) P(game B lose) + P(game B win) P(game A lose) = X(1-Y) + Y(1-X) = X +Y -2XY. Option D



Confused why is this not X+y following gmatclub_dot_com/forum/the-probability-that-team-a-will-not-win-the-tournament-is-80-and-the-261771.html
Appreciate helpful hints.


See in this question, two games are seperate. Each game have a seperate win and loss.
But in that link question its a tournament, there will be only a single win and multiple failures i.e. If team A is winning that automatically means that B is loosing

whereas in this question the win of team A doesnt effect team B. If team A wins, team B can also win.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 8043
Location: United States (CA)
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 07:59
Bunuel wrote:
The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning game B is Y. When playing a single round of each of the two games, what is the probability of winning exactly once?

A. X-YX
B. XY
C. X+Y
D. X+Y-2XY
E. X^2Y^2-XY^2-X^2Y


P(winning exactly once) = 1 - P(winning zero times) - P(winning both times)

P(wWinning exactly once) = 1 - (1 - X)(1 - Y) - XY = 1 - (1 - X - Y + XY) - XY = X + Y - 2XY

Alternate Solution:

There are two ways of winning exactly once, either (Win A, Lose B) OR (Lose A, Win B). The probability of winning A is X, so the probability of losing A is (1 - X). Similarly, the probability of winning B is Y, and so the probability of losing B is (1 - Y).

P(Win A, Lose B) = X*(1 - Y) = X - XY

P(Lose A, Win B) = (1 - X)*Y = Y - XY

The probability that either of these events happens is the sum of their individual probabilities, so P(Winning exactly once) = X - XY + Y - XY = X + Y - 2XY

Answer: D
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMATH Teacher
User avatar
P
Status: GMATH founder
Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 935
The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 13:31
Bunuel wrote:
The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning game B is Y. When playing a single round of each of the two games, what is the probability of winning exactly once?

A. X-YX
B. XY
C. X+Y
D. X+Y-2XY
E. X^2Y^2-XY^2-X^2Y

\(? = P\left( {{\text{win}}\,\,{\text{just}}\,\,{\text{A}}\,\,{\text{or}}\,\,{\text{win}}\,\,{\text{just}}\,\,{\text{B}}} \right)\,\,\,\, = \,\,\,\,P\left( {{\text{win}}\,\,{\text{A}}\,{\text{or}}\,\,{\text{B}}} \right) - P\left( {{\text{win}}\,\,{\text{both}}} \right)\)

\(P\left( {{\rm{win}}\,\,{\rm{both}}} \right) = xy\)

\(\left[ {\,x,y\,\,{\rm{constants}}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,{\rm{win}}\,A\,\,{\rm{and}}\,\,{\rm{win}}\,B\,\,{\rm{are}}\,\,{\rm{independent}}\,\,{\rm{events}}\,} \right]\)

\(P\left( {{\text{win}}\,\,{\text{A}}\,{\text{or}}\,\,{\text{B}}} \right) = x + y - xy\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {\,{\text{simplifier}}\,} \right]\)

\(? = x + y - 2xy\)

Image

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.

"Kolmogorov - Poincaré - Gauss - Euler - Newton, are only five lives separating us from the source of our science."
(Vladimir Arnold)
_________________
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator (Math for the GMAT)
Our high-level "quant" preparation starts here: https://gmath.net
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15240
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 13:20
Hi All,

We're told that the probability of winning Game A is X and the probability of winning Game B is Y. We're asked when playing a SINGLE round of EACH of the two games, what is the probability of winning EXACTLY ONCE. This question can be solved in a couple of different ways, including by TESTing VALUES.

IF... X = .4 AND Y = .5
then there is a 40% chance to win Game A and a 60% chance to lose Game A
and a 50% chance to win Game B and a 50% chance to lose Game B.

The probability of winning A and losing B = (.4)(.5) = .2
The probability of winning B and losing A = (.5)(.6) = .3
Total probability of winning just one Game = .2 + .3 = .5

Thus, we're looking for an answer that equals .5 when X = .4 and Y = .5 There's only one answer that matches....

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2018, 13:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The probability of winning game A is X and the probability of winning

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne