It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The professor assumed that Michelle probably

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

The professor assumed that Michelle probably [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 03:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (00:29) correct 32% (00:25) wrong based on 69 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

from the gmatclub ultimate grammar book
test 2

41. The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.
a) Michelle probably have stayed up
b) for a fact Michelle was staying up too
c) Michelle must have stayed up
d) Michelle probably must had stayed up
e) it was possible of Michelle staying up

i go for A but it is wrong.
why?

thanks,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The professor assumed that Michelle probably [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 03:46
"have stayed" would be wrong
the correct sentence would have been :The professor assumed that Michelle probably had stayed up late last night
also out of given options C seems oki

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 61

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 40

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 09:21
41. The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.
a) Michelle probably have stayed up (We need past tense to match with "assumed". Eliminated)
b) for a fact Michelle was staying up too (We need past tense to match with "assumed". Eliminated)
c) Michelle must have stayed up (Past tense. Hold!)
d) Michelle probably must had stayed up ("must had" sounds awkward)
e) it was possible of Michelle staying up (We need past tense to match with "assumed". Eliminated)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 03:46
[quote="gregfromnancy"]from the gmatclub ultimate grammar book
test 2

A
have done is not used for past action. there are many uses of have done. look at the grammar books for this point. A is wrong
B, "fact that +clause" . this is grammatical basic error
D , there is no "must had done" in english
E, there is no this pattern in English.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 84

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 06:10
The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.

This question is from Gmat Club Grammar Book. Practice Test 2 (41). The OA is C. My confusion is should not it be the had stayed up instead of have stayed up?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Re: The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 06:38
The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.

This question is from Gmat Club Grammar Book. Practice Test 2 (41). The OA is C. My confusion is should not it be the had stayed up instead of have stayed up?

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1174 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Re: The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 07:40
The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.

For detail visit the following Link - http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html

Whereas -

Present Perfect to say that an action happened at an unspecified time before now. The exact time is not important. You CANNOT use the Present Perfect with specific time expressions.

For detail visit the following Link - http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentperfect.html

Thus, Have stayed up is good here...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1174 [0], given: 327

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 09:45
Sorry, I am still not very much clear on this. Both professor assumed and she fell asleep in class are in past. Michelle must have stayed up last night describes an action which occurred before the past actions professor assumed and she fell asleep in class. So, should not it be past perfect instead of present perfect?

Regards.

Senior CR Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1184 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 02:37
saswata4s wrote:

This question focuses on the probability of something happened.

"must had done sth" is wrong gramatically. Hence D is out.

Between A and C, the probability in C is higher. Also, the professor has a strong evidence that "Michelle fell asleep in class", so the correct choice is C. In A, professor made a guess but not sure about it.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Last edited by broall on 17 Jan 2017, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1184 [0], given: 62

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 03:08
This post received
KUDOS
C is the most appropriate answer here. However Michelle " probably had stayed up" would have been more appropriate as the sentence talks of 2 events and one is before the other . The use of past perfect tense makes more sense than present perfect tense. I.e Michelle fell asleep (later event) after she had stayed up (earlier event) .
Only answer option D uses past perfect tense. However D is wrong as "probably must had"is redundant. Probably indicates a probability of an event happening while "must" indicates that that event is certain. Usage of both probably and must for the same event is redundant. Also must cannot precede had as it is idiomatically incorrect.
So the next best answer here is C. Another pointer here is since the time frame is not mentioned, present perfect seems a safe option.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 03:17
Usage of Present Perfect Tense or Past Perfect tense. Two events are specified in the question where one is before the other and hence Past Perfect tense seems appropriate. However there is no answer option with the past perfect tense (without errors) . Also the time frame is not mentioned in the question which makes the use of present perfect tense also appropriate. Kindly advise !!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 540 Q38 V26
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 06:35
saswata4s wrote:

I agree with you that past perfect would be more appropriate here. However, the only option is D, which is redundant (probably must had...) Between A and C, I choose C, as it is more precise.

Remember: We are searching for the most appropriate answer (although it might sometimes seem awkward as well)!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 28

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3789 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:15
LarryM wrote:
Usage of Present Perfect Tense or Past Perfect tense. Two events are specified in the question where one is before the other and hence Past Perfect tense seems appropriate. However there is no answer option with the past perfect tense (without errors) . Also the time frame is not mentioned in the question which makes the use of present perfect tense also appropriate. Kindly advise !!

Both your posts are very clear and logical. I agree with your points.

Kudos [?]: 3789 [0], given: 22

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8558 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:24
Top Contributor
- must had stayed up-' had' is an incorrect verb after the modal "must'. "must have stayed up" is ok. Or you may drop -must- from choice D and it will be ok

D. The professor assumed that Michelle probably had stayed up late last night since she fell asleep in class.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8558 [0], given: 366

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:27
LarryM wrote:
C is the most appropriate answer here. However Michelle " probably had stayed up" would have been more appropriate as the sentence talks of 2 events and one is before the other . The use of past perfect tense makes more sense than present perfect tense. I.e Michelle fell asleep (later event) after she had stayed up (earlier event) .
Only answer option D uses past perfect tense. However D is wrong as "probably must had"is redundant. Probably indicates a probability of an event happening while "must" indicates that that event is certain. Usage of both probably and must for the same event is redundant. Also must cannot precede had as it is idiomatically incorrect.
So the next best answer here is C. Another pointer here is since the time frame is not mentioned, present perfect seems a safe option.

Thanks for the clarification.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 11:52
saswata4s wrote:
LarryM wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

You are welcome !! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 15:09
sayantanc2k wrote:
LarryM wrote:

Both your posts are very clear and logical. I agree with your points.

Hi sayantanc2k,

I rejected the choice C as it changes the meaning of the original sentence. Original choice shows the possibility while choice C shows the certainty. To me, no choice seemed to be correct. so, I end up selecting A; however, I knew that there should be past perfect instead of present perfect in choice A.

Please advise how to select one choice between two when both seems to be incorrect.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 15:22
I rejected the choice C as it changes the meaning of the original sentence. Original choice shows the possibility while choice C shows the certainty. To me, no choice seemed to be correct. so, I end up selecting A; however, I knew that there should be past perfect instead of present perfect in choice A.

Please advise how to select one choice between two when both seems to be incorrect.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
AR15J wrote:

A is wrong in this case. The sentence "Michelle probably have stayed up" is idiomatically wrong. Meaning wise the subject of the sentence after the word "that" would be Michelle (singular) while the verb (have) is plural. There would be a subject verb disagreement in option A.

Option C is correct as we can use "have" after the modal verb "must". Try thinking of an example to clear this concept ." He must have slept off"is correct while "He probably have slept off" is wrong.
If "probably" is to be used in the sentence we can use "He probably has slept off."

Hope this clears your doubt .

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 234

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 07:43
saswata4s wrote:

the only difference btw option a and c is probably (which is a possibility ) and must (certainty) . when in assumption do we use probably or must after" that " ? IMO A as it is an assumption.

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 234

Re: The professor assumed that Michelle probably have stayed up late last   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2017, 07:43

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

The professor assumed that Michelle probably

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap