Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [18]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT Date: 07-02-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I see a few queries about this one, so I will offer my thoughts in an effort to assist the community.

SivaKumarP wrote:
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset somewhat by the remarkable quality of his lectures.

A) The professor's consistent late arrival

The problem is that consistent and late are both acting as adjectives that are modifying arrival. Is it a problem that the professor is arriving on a consistent basis? No. We cannot argue that the former adjective is modifying the latter either, since we would expect to see an adverb instead.

SivaKumarP wrote:
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor

This is a worse version of (A), adopting a prepositional phrase when a possessive works just fine, but the double adjective issue remains.

SivaKumarP wrote:
C) The professor's consistently late arrival

Now, an adverb properly modifies the adjective late. If the professor were late once or perhaps every once in a while, there might not be a problem, but his consistently late arrival gets in the way of his remarkable lectures. There is nothing to argue against here, which is why we have a compelling reason to select it.

SivaKumarP wrote:
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently

It is hard to know where to begin with this one. By separating late and arrival from earlier answer choices, we now have a sentence that conveys an entirely different notion, namely that it is a problem that of late, or recently, the professor has been arriving consistently. I guess we are meant to think that sporadic appearances would be better. This nonsensical distortion of the sentence is good for a chuckle, nothing more.

SivaKumarP wrote:
E) The professor's consistent late arriving

Not only do we see the same problematic adjective pop up in consistent, but we also get arriving at the tail-end of the underlined portion, and the action of arriving, whether late or on time, is better described as an arrival (similar to how we would say we were up for a renewal of a license, not a renewing).

That is really all there is to this one. It can be useful to think of SC as a task in which the goal is to disprove all the answers. The one that you have the hardest time debating is the one you should choose.

I hope that helps. If anyone has further questions, I would be happy to help out. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
I've a doubt in the OA, I'll tell that once someone starts post their explanation. :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
SivaKumarP wrote:
AVRonaldo wrote:
The key point to note here is "The professor's consistent late arrival".

Consistent late arrival
Adjective + Adjective + Noun

In the original sentence,
-- > "Late" is used an adjective which modifies noun "arrival"
--> "Consistent" is used as an adjective which modifies noun "arrival" -- Wrong ! We are talking about the professor who is consistently late . Hence adverb "Consistently" should be used to modify the adjective "late"
--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)

A) The professor's consistent late arrival - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
B) The consistent late arrival of the professor - Wrong - Adjective "consistent" is used in place of adverb " consistently"
C) The professor's consistently late arrival - Correct
D) Lately, the professor's arriving consistently - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun
E) The professor's consistent late arriving - Wrong - arriving is a verb and not an action noun

Thanks Ronaldo, very good explanation..! Keep it up :) Especially I was looking for the explanation about the reference(him) of the possessive noun. But you explained it before even asking..:)

--> The possessive noun "professor's" is correct as long as we refer back only using possessive noun "his".
We would have been forced to change the construction only if we had a reference back to professor as a noun (i.e him, he etc..)

[ Adjective + Adjective + noun] - Here both the adjectives modifies the noun.
[Adverb + Adjective + Noun] - Here adverb modifies adjectives and in turn adjectives modifies the noun.

Any idea when should we use what? Or are we going to use the above rule solely based on the context?

Adjectives can modify only nouns and Adverbs can modify anything say verbs, adjectives, adverbs or even clauses except nouns and pronouns.
So I don't think we will ever go wrong if we stick with the above rules blindly. But, its always better to use those rules
to preserve the author's intent. Nowadays, Meaning plays a far important role in GMAT SC. If possible, try to go through the article by Magoosh instructor(in Gmat Experience thread) on how the SC has become reliant on meaning these days.

Let's take a look at this example.

"We have more efficient engines" - more can be used as an adjective or an adverb .
--> Does the author mean highly efficient engines? [Adjective + Adjective + Noun]
--> or Does he mean more number of efficient engines? [Adverb + Adjective + Noun]

In the above case, both rules seem valid. So it's always better to understand the author's intent and then use the rules to reflect the intended meaning.
:)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks again Ronaldo. I'm pretty clear with what you stated above. : -)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Remove D & E because arriving is a verb and not an action noun.
Remove A & B because consistent is not correct in this sentence.

By elimanation C is the correct answer:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset [#permalink]
SivaKumarP wrote:
The professor's consistent late arrival is offset somewhat by the remarkable quality of his lectures.

What is the source of this question? I do not believe that the OA is correct. "His" has no antecedent.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pate13 wrote:
SivaKumarP wrote:

What is the source of this question? I do not believe that the OA is correct. "His" has no antecedent.

Even I too had the same doubt. But could find the below info in this thread. It does makes sense to me. Agree? Coming to the source, I found this question in 800score.com.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
Send PM
can someone please help with this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The consistent late arrival of the professor
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts