Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GPA: 3.41
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to the proble [#permalink]
Kudos
2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author was unable to assess the truth of which of the following statements about opaque-2 maize?
Scope: Recent innovations such as opaque-2 maize, Antarctic krill, and the wheat-rye hybrid triticale seem more promising, but it is too early to predict their ultimate fate.
For example, the better protein quality in tortillas made from opaque-2 maize will be of only limited benefit to a family on the margin of subsistence if the new maize is not culturally acceptable or is more vulnerable to insects.

(A) It is a more recent innovation than the use of fish-protein concentrate.
(B) It can be stored as easily as other varieties of maize. → not mentioned
(C) It is more popular than the wheat-rye hybrid triticale. → not mentioned
(D) It produces tortillas of greater protein content than do other varieties of maize. → not mentioned, in the passage, it is “better” (quality) not “greater” (quantity)
(E) It is more susceptible to insects than are other varieties of maize.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GPA: 3.41
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to the proble [#permalink]
Kudos
5. The author suggests that, in most developing countries, extensive government intervention accompanying the introduction of a food innovation will
Scope: “Since large segments of the populations of many developing countries are close to the subsistence margin and essentially powerless, they tend to be the losers in this system unless they are aided by a government policy that takes into account the needs of all sectors of the economy. Therefore, although technical advances in food production and processing will perhaps be needed to ensure food availability, meeting food needs will depend much more on equalizing economic power among the various segments of the populations within the developing countries themselves.
(A) usually be sufficient to guarantee the financial success of the innovation
(B) be necessary to ensure that the benefits of the innovation will be spread throughout the society
(C) provide the incentive necessary to convince landowners to try the innovation
(D) generally cost the country more than will be earned by the innovation
(E) normally occur only when the innovation favors large landowners
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts