Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [21]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [17]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to the proble [#permalink]
Even I thought that the first sentence was a position. My reasoning was that it uses the word "seems" - "seems" to the author. Therefore it should be a position.

While I was doing a question on this paragraph the OA stated that the sentence is a generalization.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to the proble [#permalink]
I think both "keywords" can be used interchangeably without any contradiction.

If this is bold face then the other choices must be half wrong. Because the split cannot be made just between - generalization / position

Pls post the other answer choice :)

fanatico wrote:
Even I thought that the first sentence was a position. My reasoning was that it uses the word "seems" - "seems" to the author. Therefore it should be a position.

While I was doing a question on this paragraph the OA stated that the sentence is a generalization.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Send PM
The promise of finding long-term technological solutions to the problem of world food shortages seems difficult to fulfill. Many innovations that were once heavily supported and publicized, such as fish-protein concentrate and protein from algae grown on petroleum substrates, have since fallen by the wayside. The proposals themselves were technically feasible, but they proved to be economically unviable and to yield food products culturally unacceptable to their consumers. Recent innovations such as opaque-2 maize, Antarctic krill, and the wheat-rye hybrid triticale seem more promising, but it is too early to predict their ultimate fate.

In this paragraph, is the first sentence a generalization or a position?

In my opinion this is a position because a generalization is more of a conclusion or result or some kind of finding after analyzing some cases. Here in the very first statement author used the word "seems" and in my opinion he may not be 100% sure about it or something for which he can give some guarantee.

Rather he sets up his position and then give arguments about his position.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
1) b
A criticism of no viable solution for food shortage is mentioned.
In the end - an alternate proposal is provided.

2) E
2nd para last line states that
Author is not sure if the opaque - 2 will be culturally acceptable to more susceptible to disease

3) C
Security of crop yield, practicality of storage, palatability, and costs are much more significant.

opaque-2 maize will be of only limited benefit to a family on the margin of subsistence if the new maize is not culturally acceptable

4) B
First para, last line states clearly that author think it can be promising alternative but it is too early to predict its success.

5) B
they tend to be the losers in this system unless they are aided by a government policy that takes into account the needs of all sectors of the economy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
6) A
innovations that carry high rewards for big agribusiness groups will be adopted even if they harm segments of the population and reduce the availability of food in a country

Last para mentions the need of government intervention

7) C
only b and c comes close
Para states why a crop did't succeed - - - because it was not economical and culturally viable.

We can't assume the opposite would be true

8) B
E and B are close

E is wrong because - innovations that carry high rewards for big agribusiness groups will be adopted EVEN IF they harm segments of the population.

10) frankly speaking, I don't like any of the choices as all of them contains partial scope IMHO. Can someone please comment on this. Will go for E

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
14 mins 50 secs

All correct.

workout This was a very long passage in terms of content. Are we going to see passage this big on the D-Day??
I am expecting one though.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
14 mins 50 secs

All correct.

workout This was a very long passage in terms of content. Are we going to see passage this big on the D-Day??
I am expecting one though.

warrior1991

The number of questions will be definitely less but the length of the passage looks good for a long passage.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Send PM
sumit411 wrote:
6) A
innovations that carry high rewards for big agribusiness groups will be adopted even if they harm segments of the population and reduce the availability of food in a country

Last para mentions the need of government intervention

7) C
only b and c comes close
Para states why a crop did't succeed - - - because it was not economical and culturally viable.

We can't assume the opposite would be true

8) B
E and B are close

E is wrong because - innovations that carry high rewards for big agribusiness groups will be adopted EVEN IF they harm segments of the population.

10) frankly speaking, I don't like any of the choices as all of them contains partial scope IMHO. Can someone please comment on this. Will go for E

I think you are asking about Q#9

Overall the passage is trying to say that technological innovation as a solution is not going to help counter the problem of food shortage. We need to assess the some other factors as well :- economic viability and cultural acceptance by consumers.

9. The primary purpose of the passage is to discuss the

(A) means of assessing the extent of the world food shortage

Assessing the extent of world food shortage. Not matches with our pre-thinking. Irrelevant

(B) difficulties of applying technological solutions to the problem of food shortages

Yes. This is the option we are looking for. Hold.

(C) costs of introducing a new food technology into a developing country

Not matches with our pre-thinking. Irrelevant

(D) Anglo-American bias of those trying to alleviate world food problems

Not matches with our pre-thinking. Irrelevant

(E) nature of the new technological innovations in the area of food production

We are not discussing the nature of technological innovations. We are simply saying that technically the solutions are feasible but other factors also play an important role.

Always look for the broader picture while solving such questions. Any answer choice that limits to a specific part of the passage is always incorrect.

Option B is correct IMO.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
1. Which of the following best describes the organization of the first paragraph?

IMO C .

(A) A suggestion is made and arguments in its favor are provided.
Suggestion. We are not making any suggestion.

(B) A criticism is levied and an alternative proposal is suggested.
Criticism is a strong word to use for this passage Incorrect.

(C) A generalization is advanced and supporting evidence is provided.
Gotta Keep this choice. Looks good.

(D) An example is analyzed and general conclusions are derived from it.
We are not analyzing any example but a position in hand.Incorrect.

(E) A position is stated and evidence qualifying it is provided.
Evidence qualifying means the evidence that throws doubt rather than support .

workout
I hope my reasoning for option E is correct. Please suggest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Send PM
Kudos