Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [45]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [16]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
GPA: 3.35
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: The proximity of wealth and of poverty in the downtown centers of [#permalink]
Kudos
The proximity of wealth and of poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies the income inequality that has inspired grassroots political movements across the globe.

A. of poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies

B. of poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a block with a luxury high rise and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplify

C. poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies......usage of of poverty is unnecessary....exemplifies...right usage correct

D. poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplify

E. poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a block with a luxury high rise and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [3]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: The proximity of wealth and of poverty in the downtown centers of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
dollytaneja51 if you're saying that you didn't realize until afterward that the subject was proximity (and that you chose an incorrect answer because you treated the subject as "wealth and poverty") one nice way to check for that is to identify modifiers near the verb. Here "of wealth and poverty" is a prepositional modifier (because it starts with "of"...similar if it's "in" or "on" or "by") so you can then point the modifier back to the noun it describes, which is "proximity."

When subject-verb agreement is being tested, the Testmaker *loves* including a handful of noun-containing modifiers so that there are more nouns for you to consider as potential subjects. That's when it's important to take a half-step back from the problem, identify all your modifiers, and set them aside so that you can find the noun that's the subject.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 430
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39 (Online)
Send PM
The proximity of wealth and of poverty in the downtown centers of [#permalink]
Kudos
AdityaHongunti wrote:
The proximity of wealth and of poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies the income inequality that has inspired grassroots political movements across the globe.

Essentially, the difference among the options has been pivoted on three issues:
1. S-V: The Proximity ... exemplifies is the correct option, therefore eliminate Option B & D.
Quote:
B. of poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a block with a luxury high rise and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplify
D. poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplify

2. Another point that should be noticed is the Appositive.
"there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next" this is the correct option, so eliminate Option E.
Quote:
E. poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a block with a luxury high rise and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies

Quote:
A. of poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies
C. poverty in the downtown centers of many metropolises—there can be a luxury high rise on one block and a homeless encampment on the next—exemplifies

3. the last point is difference between "Proximity of X and Y" and "Proximity of X and of Y".
The proximity of X and of Y makes it sound as if the sentence is discussing two proximities. i.e one proximity of X and another proximity of Y. Whereas the sentence intends to mean that there is only one proximity: the proximity of X and Y.
Thus Option C is correct.

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Subject in this sentence is proximity not wealth and poverty. Even after knowing this, selected the wrong option.

C is the correct answer because of correct Subject Verb agreement and parallelism.

I know my basics but I still make these blunders. Please somebody suggest me ways to avoid these errors.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Between A & C the only difference is the use of 'of' before poverty that is not wrong grammatically, so t=in accordance with GMAT rules shouldn't the answer be A instead of C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Hi,
Idiomatically ,
P exemplifies Q
Now , we don't need the extra "of" in the first part of the underlined sentence. This is wordy and changes the meaning.
Hence A is correct.
In E , the part in em dashes suffers from improper parallelism.
Hope this helps!
:D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Posted as a 600-700 here but it's a 700-800 on MGMAT
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts