Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [34]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NUS '18 (I)
GRE 1: Q165 V156
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [6]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [5]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: The push by rich countries to cut emissions have raised fears that it [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is not a great question, but the answer has to be C.

It doesn't make sense to say that "the push" has raised fears about itself. It should raise fears about the parties behind it or the potential consequences. This rules out D and E (and of course A and B are out for subject-verb reasons).

It's perfectly fine to use "they" when there are multiple plural nouns present, as long as it's clear what the intended antecedent is. A good rule of thumb is that if the GMAT gives you the option to insert the correct noun ("those countries"), then you should select that, since using the noun is never technically incorrect. However, if this option doesn't exist, it may be that the situation isn't considered ambiguous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The push by rich countries to cut emissions have raised fears that it [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The push by rich countries to cut emissions have raised fears that it is an attempt to secure new markets for environmental technologies.

have raised fears that it is an attempt
have raised fears that they are trying
has raised fears that they are trying- 'they' refers to 'rich countries '. NOT wrong.
has raised fears that it is their attempt
has raised fears that it is an attempt.NOT wrong.

..... that <push> is an attempt to secure new markets for environmental technologies. Indirect.
...... that <rich countries> are trying to secure new markets for environmental technologies. Direct.

Hence (c)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Nightmare007 wrote:
Isn't they in C is understood as Scientists .

I got it now after solving the question again. C changes the meaning .

And yeah It is referring to the push. :) .
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nightmare007, the antecedent to a pronoun must always be a noun that actually appears in the sentence. There's nothing wrong with "changing the meaning," since C has as much claim on being the correct sentence as any other. But we have to work with what we're given.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arpitkumar Answer choice E doesn't work for logical reasons: the push can't raise fears about itself. Also, be careful about being too quick to rule out answers based on pronoun ambiguity. The GMAT doesn't always consider a pronoun ambiguous just because there is more than one noun that it could apply to. We just need the meaning to be clear.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,

did the question change?

Everyone talks about how C is the right answer, however, I chose E and got the "green light"...

Regards,
Chris
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There's no rule that says that the pronoun has to refer to the subject. When we're not clear on the antecedent, we may be more likely to go with the subject, but that's not an issue here. I can certainly say "I like puppies because they are soft" or "The softness of puppies is a key element of their appeal."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Isn't they in C is understood as Scientists .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Subject : "push" - singular , will take singular verb "has" narrows it down to options C,D and E.
- Option C : Use of ambiguous pronoun "they " - WRONG.
- Option D : Use of ambiguous pronoun " their" - WRONG.
- Option E : Correct usage of pronoun "IT" referring to the subject "PUSH" . " The " push " is an attempt to by new countries to secure market for environmental technologies.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Arpitkumar Answer choice E doesn't work for logical reasons: the push can't raise fears about itself. Also, be careful about being too quick to rule out answers based on pronoun ambiguity. The GMAT doesn't always consider a pronoun ambiguous just because there is more than one noun that it could apply to. We just need the meaning to be clear.

HI DmitryFarber , As much as I agree with you that one should not really be in a hurry to rule out answer options basis ambiguous pronouns , I feel since the subject in this particular question come out clear enough to be "Push" , for me it became easy to rule out C coz in my opinion Option C uses "they" as a pronoun referring to rich countries which is not the subject in this case.

Pls do correct me in case you think I still havent got it.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
There's no rule that says that the pronoun has to refer to the subject. When we're not clear on the antecedent, we may be more likely to go with the subject, but that's not an issue here. I can certainly say "I like puppies because they are soft" or "The softness of puppies is a key element of their appeal."

Got It DmitryFarber , Thanks a ton !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
OA seems to be E, but the expert replies seem to point to the answer as C. Please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
This is not a great question, but the answer has to be C.

It doesn't make sense to say that "the push" has raised fears about itself. It should raise fears about the parties behind it or the potential consequences. This rules out D and E (and of course A and B are out for subject-verb reasons).

It's perfectly fine to use "they" when there are multiple plural nouns present, as long as it's clear what the intended antecedent is. A good rule of thumb is that if the GMAT gives you the option to insert the correct noun ("those countries"), then you should select that, since using the noun is never technically incorrect. However, if this option doesn't exist, it may be that the situation isn't considered ambiguous.

Hi DmitryFarber,

Could you please explain why D is incorrect with little more details as I agree C is correct but not able to why their is incorrect,

I feel "Their attempt - rich countries attempt" so its correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
Send PM
I still don't get it why E is wrong and C is right?
@e-gmat can you help?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Hi Shreshtha55,

It looks like you have tagged website instead of tagging moderator, Do you remember name of moderator or ID instead?

Shreshtha55 wrote:
I still don't get it why E is wrong and C is right?
@e-gmat can you help?

Posted from my mobile device

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts