Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 25 May 2017, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 99 [5] , given: 0

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:32) correct 35% (01:43) wrong based on 1041 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality. The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following conclusions is best supported by them?

A. When an olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced.
B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.
D. Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains.
E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 1

Re: The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Answer B and D seems extreme. Answer E seems out side of the scope. I am between A and C. I think I am going to chose C because the statement mentioned about unrefined oil not refined as mentioned in A.

So, C for me.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 13

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
12345678 wrote:

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

1) - quality of olive oil inversely proportional to free oleic acid

The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

2) - acidity directly proportional to proportion of free oleic acid

If the statements above are all true, which of the following conclusions is best supported by them?

From 1 and 2 therefore, Higher oleic acid ---> lower quality. So, if intermediate oleic acid --> intermediate quality.

Concur with C

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
dwivedys wrote:
12345678 wrote:

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

From 1 and 2 therefore, Higher oleic acid ---> lower quality. So, if intermediate oleic acid --> intermediate quality.

Concur with C

hey dwivedys...u always come with explainations.....cheers to u :)
I will simply go with "C"
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 453 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 10:08
12345678 wrote:
The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality. The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

A. When an olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced.
B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately
measuring its acidity.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined
olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.
E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste.

I say C for this.

A: We are talking about unrefined olive oil.
B: argument says that other methods are used.
D: Maybe, but we can't determine this from the passage.
E: Goes against passage.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 22:01
12345678 wrote:

B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately
measuring its acidity.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined
olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.

C for me too.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2007, 08:21
dwivedys wrote:
12345678 wrote:

Concur with C

thanks OA==>C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2007, 08:24
Late in replying.

C is my pick.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 998

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 21:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 998

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 18:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 18:56
My problem with this is that C directly contradicts the first statement.

"the quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity..."
Answer choice (C) says
"If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality."
Which translates to intermediate in quality = intermediate in acidity
so quality = acidity
which contradicts the first part of stem.

Can someone help me understand this? Was this an official GMAT question?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2267 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 06:18
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
r0ckst4r wrote:
My problem with this is that C directly contradicts the first statement.

"the quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity..."
Answer choice (C) says
"If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality."
Which translates to intermediate in quality = intermediate in acidity
so quality = acidity
which contradicts the first part of stem.

Can someone help me understand this? Was this an official GMAT question?

The acidity may INDICATE the quality, but it is not used to DEFINE the quality.

For example: Mass number of an atom is DEFINED as the total number of protons and neutrons in an atom. Higher the mass no., higher is the mass of the atom. Nonetheless mass is not used to DEFINE mass no. of an atom,but just an indication of the mass no.

Here,
mass no. is equivalent to quality
mass is equivalent to acidity
no. of protons and neutrons is equivalent to some parameter that has not been specified in the passage -a parameter used to DEFINE the quality.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 36

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 06:24

Premise 1) Olive oil's quality is not related to acidity
Premise 2) If amount of free Oelic acid is less in oil then quality is good
The amount of free Oelic acid is inversely proportional to Oil's quality

Premise 3) Amount of free Oelic acid is an accurate measure of oils ACIDITY

Mathematically speaking
Amount of Oelic acid Acidity {based on Premise 3}

Amount of Oelic acid \(\frac{1}{Quality}\) {based on Premise 2}

therefore :- Amount of Oelic acid \(\frac{Acidity}{Quality}\)

Pre-thinking :-
The more free Oelic acid, the more acidic is the oil and poor is the quality.
The less free Oelic acid the less acidic is oil and better is the quality.

Extending the same logic a little bit more
If some oil has medium oelic acid content, the acidity will be \(moderate\) and the quality will also be \(medium\).

What options matches our Pre-thinking.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.

THE ANSWER IS C

B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity.
E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste.[

12345678 wrote:

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 28 Jul 2016, 06:46, edited 5 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 06:29
boiled it down to C and E

rest are irrelevant or out of scope

E says that quality is judged by acidity , which is not the case by the argument

C clearly wins sshowing relationship between acidity and quality ,which the argument actually explains.
Intern
Intern
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 12:36
Hi Sayantac,

I was able to get down to C & E.
I got highly distracted by the jump unrefined olive oil to olive oil in the last sentence.( do you think we should overlook this shift?)

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity,
yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

Quality of unrefined olive is not a function of acidity : in mathematical terms
but - Lesser the oleic acid - higher the quality : some relation ship is there. (1)

Oleic acid is proportional to acidity :
higher the oleic acid - higher the acidity or
lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity. ( 2)

so combining 1 & 2 we can say that

lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity - higher the quality

So why can't we say that quality is affected by acidity or acidity is a measure of quality : this is what E says.

Thanks in Anticipation
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 08:58
divyaverma wrote:
Hi Sayantac,

I was able to get down to C & E.
I got highly distracted by the jump unrefined olive oil to olive oil in the last sentence.( do you think we should overlook this shift?)

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity,
yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

Quality of unrefined olive is not a function of acidity : in mathematical terms
but - Lesser the oleic acid - higher the quality : some relation ship is there. (1)

Oleic acid is proportional to acidity :
higher the oleic acid - higher the acidity or
lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity. ( 2)

so combining 1 & 2 we can say that

lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity - higher the quality

So why can't we say that quality is affected by acidity or acidity is a measure of quality : this is what E says.

Thanks in Anticipation

Of course you CAN say that acidity can be an indication of the quality - however you CANNOT say that the judges use that parameter to measure quality because nothing is said about the judges in the passage. So there is no way for you to conclude what method the judges adopt to measure the quality, whether they taste acidity or something else ( say, texture).

[Please type @<user name> if you want to mention someone in your post. Otherwise the person does not get a notification. Alternatively in case you want to ask specifically me about any post, please feel free to send a link of the post to me by a PM. ]
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 08:59
angellily wrote:
Hello
To know about "The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined" read my book here Dissertation Help .
Regards
angellily

Please refrain from non-GMAT discussions in these forums.
Intern
Intern
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 11:30
sayantanc2k : Thanks ! So the extra fluff here is making the choice incorrect. Though the gist of the sentence does relate to the derived relationship. But the circumstance via which this relationship is presented is no where mentioned in the passage.

Can we say that this choice is inconsistent - or half right or half wrong? This is definitely not OFS as many has suggested.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 07:12
divyaverma wrote:
sayantanc2k : Thanks ! So the extra fluff here is making the choice incorrect. Though the gist of the sentence does relate to the derived relationship. But the circumstance via which this relationship is presented is no where mentioned in the passage.

Can we say that this choice is inconsistent - or half right or half wrong? This is definitely not OFS as many has suggested.

They are not wrong. Choice E is wrong and out of scope since the argument is not about how the testing is done by experts.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 01:32
very nice explanation....logic guru
Re: The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2016, 01:32

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ]