GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 16:10
Prateek176 wrote:
Transcendentalist wrote:
The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s, but by the early 1960s, it was becoming clear that it was carrying much more traffic than had ever been envisaged when it was first opened.

A) it was becoming clear that it was
B) it was becoming clear that they were
C) they were becoming clear that it was
D) it was
E) it was clearly

Press Kudos if you like the question

daagh sir , GMATNinja , KarishmaB

I am still not clear on why D and E are incorrect

Prateek176,

there are some stringent rules that have to be followed; one of these rules (a pivotal one) says that meaning of the original sentence should remain unchanged.
In the event an answer choice does involve a change in the meaning of the original sentence, it is not the answer choice you seek for.

1) it was becoming clear that he was at fault [...]

The case would be: after someone had vividly described a situation to you, it became more clear that...

2) it was clear that he was at fault [...]

Can you infer from this part of the sentence that something was becoming clear? No. It was clear. The meaning has been changed.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 22:15
Prateek176 wrote:
Transcendentalist wrote:
The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s, but by the early 1960s, it was becoming clear that it was carrying much more traffic than had ever been envisaged when it was first opened.

D) it was
E) it was clearly

Grammatically, both (A) and (D) are correct.
In (E), I just don't like the placement of the adverb "clearly" that much, since it seems to be modifying "carrying".

But the intent of the sentence is "it was becoming clear that the tunnel would not suffice".

Similar to the intent of this sentence - Though I have been studying for many hours every day, it is becoming clear that I am nowhere close to my target score.

Hence, (A) brings out that contrast - Though it was built in 1930s, by 1960s it was becoming clear that it was carrying traffic beyond its capacity.
Tunnels are supposed to last many centuries but within 30 years, it was carrying way too much traffic.
All this is lost in option (D).

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2019, 12:01
Can some expert please shed some light on this question, and explain why D and E are wrong?
And also when is it okay to use two IT's like in option A
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2019, 13:02
can anyone please explain why " A" is correct over option "d" ?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V25
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 01:34
pqhai wrote:
I came to A quite quickly. Other options are not correct but A.

Correct. The first "it" is "placeholder it" <-- there is NO antecedent. Do not look for its antecedent.

Wrong. The tunnel is singular.

Wrong. "they" refers to what? The tunnel is singular.

D) it was <-- Past progressive tense
Wrong. Please see the non-underlined part "by the early 1960s". We can't say the tunnel was carrying much more traffic by the early 1960s <-- "by the early 1960s" makes the past progressive tense incorrect.

E) it was clearly <-- Past progressive tense
Wrong. Same error as in D. "by the early 1960s" makes the past progressive tense incorrect.

Hope it helps a bit.

[/quote]

If option D and E are wrong due to past progressive tense then why is A not wrong. It has also got past progressive tense "it was"
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 13:05
singhashish41 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
I came to A quite quickly. Other options are not correct but A.

Correct. The first "it" is "placeholder it" <-- there is NO antecedent. Do not look for its antecedent.

Wrong. The tunnel is singular.

Wrong. "they" refers to what? The tunnel is singular.

D) it was <-- Past progressive tense
Wrong. Please see the non-underlined part "by the early 1960s". We can't say the tunnel was carrying much more traffic by the early 1960s <-- "by the early 1960s" makes the past progressive tense incorrect.

E) it was clearly <-- Past progressive tense
Wrong. Same error as in D. "by the early 1960s" makes the past progressive tense incorrect.

Hope it helps a bit.

If option D and E are wrong due to past progressive tense then why is A not wrong. It has also got past progressive tense "it was"[/quote]

D) it was
E) it was clearly

the fact that option A has two different usage of same Pronoun "it" makes it a wrong choice for me.. D seems concise and grammatically correct and not much meaning has lost in it.. i have seen few questions in OG where some amount of leeway is allowed for this much meaning change..

Although we may prefer some choices from others, but how exactly we are encircling back to the idea why one answer is better than others
Intern
Intern
B
The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 14:31
Quote:

I'm responding to this a while later, but my interpretation is that 'it was becoming clear that it was' and 'it was' have two separate meanings. 'It was becoming....' indicates that this is a sentence about someone or something observing/gathering data/analyzing the amount of traffic that cross the bridge. The sentence literally means that whoever was doing this analysis (which may not have been a single individual), was starting to realize the bridge couldn't handle the traffic. Meanwhile, options D and E state the situation as a fact.

Think of it this way—a while ago, paleontologists studying bones may have been starting to realize that triceratops had three horns. There was a point in time that no one knew that, and then the community started to realize that that was the case. However, the fact never changed—triceratops had three horns. It doesn't matter whether someone realized that yet or not.

So for that reason, I determined they options D and E were changes in meaning, while sentence A, while wordy, is neither excessively wordy (each word is used to convey meaning) nor grammatically incorrect.

On a separate note, my understanding is that this question came from the Economist GMAT, which I've seen regarded as a trustworthy source for verbal. Would others not agree?
GMAT Club Bot
The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2019, 14:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

The Queensway Tunnel was built in the 1930s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics