GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 09:29

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

The range of companies offering different versions of the same product

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50623
The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 08:36
1
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:44) correct 25% (01:59) wrong based on 350 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The range of companies offering different versions of the same product is immense compared to what it once was. Because of this competition, many companies offer low quality products, preferring to sell more by demanding lower prices. To spend less, consumers buy the cheaper products which last for shorter periods of time, only to be disposed of and replaced by other cheap products. It can be deduced that companies that create products of an inferior quality do not contribute to the strength of the economy.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?


A. Managing the waste caused by the repeated disposal of products costs governments dearly.

B. There are many factors that can affect the strength of an economy.

C. The repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy.

D. Products that are not relatively cheap do not necessarily last for longer than those that are.

E. Companies that produce low quality products are not interested in the loyalty of consumers to their specific brand.

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Posts: 3
Re: The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 09:34
1
Option C
This is the only one that talks about the affect on economy mentioned in the passage


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
examPAL Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 799
The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 06:48
1
The answer is (C).
This question can be solved easily using the

Logical

approach, as all we need to do is follow the logical structure of the argument.
We are told of a factor (companies creating inferior products leads sutlers to buy the same product many times), and then of a conclusion (companies creating inferior product don't help the economy's strength), which doesn't automatically derive from this factor. The assumption must be that this factor leads to this conclusion: C. The repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy.

Logical structure:
a - company creates inferior products
b - consumers buy the same product repeatedly
c - the economy's strength isn't helped

argument:
a ==> b
conclusion:
a ==> c

What's missing here is the assumption that b ==> c (meaning that buying inferior products doesn't help the economy), as this means a ==> b ==> c
_________________

Image
Sign up for 7-day free trial
Image

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS


Halloween SALE at exmaPAL!

Save 25% on any GMAT/GRE course! Claim it today.

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 133
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 07:57
IMO the answer should be C. Only this option when negated, completely breaks down the conclusion. That is exactly tha answer we are looking for.
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1292
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 01:09
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
The answer is (C).
This question can be solved easily using the

Logical

approach, as all we need to do is follow the logical structure of the argument.
We are told of a factor (companies creating inferior products leads sutlers to buy the same product many times), and then of a conclusion (companies creating inferior product don't help the economy's strength), which doesn't automatically derive from this factor. The assumption must be that this factor leads to this conclusion: C. The repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy.

Logical structure:
a - company creates inferior products
b - consumers buy the same product repeatedly
c - the economy's strength isn't helped

argument:
a ==> b
conclusion:
a ==> c

What's missing here is the assumption that b ==> c (meaning that buying inferior products doesn't help the economy), as this means a ==> b ==> c


How to get rid of option A, David? I think A and C both can be assumed, but C is more closer to premise that is why C is correct.
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

examPAL Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 799
Re: The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 01:24
QZ wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
The answer is (C).
This question can be solved easily using the

Logical

approach, as all we need to do is follow the logical structure of the argument.
We are told of a factor (companies creating inferior products leads sutlers to buy the same product many times), and then of a conclusion (companies creating inferior product don't help the economy's strength), which doesn't automatically derive from this factor. The assumption must be that this factor leads to this conclusion: C. The repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy.

Logical structure:
a - company creates inferior products
b - consumers buy the same product repeatedly
c - the economy's strength isn't helped

argument:
a ==> b
conclusion:
a ==> c

What's missing here is the assumption that b ==> c (meaning that buying inferior products doesn't help the economy), as this means a ==> b ==> c


How to get rid of option A, David? I think A and C both can be assumed, but C is more closer to premise that is why C is correct.


QZ
Why do you think A is closer to a premise?
A could be true - in other words, if A is true, that could help explain the conclusion.
But that's now what we are asked! To say that something is an assumption is to say that it must be true - and that's simply not the case for A. there could be lots of other reasons that the inferior products don't help the economy that have nothing to do with waste. C is far more general, and simply says that -for whatever reason - the purchasing doesn't help. This is definitely true, because it is what the conclusion assumes (as explained in my above explanation.
Is this clear now?
_________________

Image
Sign up for 7-day free trial
Image

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS


Halloween SALE at exmaPAL!

Save 25% on any GMAT/GRE course! Claim it today.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 16 Jan 2018
Posts: 91
Location: New Zealand
Premium Member
Re: The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 22:56
2
Bunuel wrote:
The range of companies offering different versions of the same product is immense compared to what it once was. Because of this competition, many companies offer low quality products, preferring to sell more by demanding lower prices. To spend less, consumers buy the cheaper products which last for shorter periods of time, only to be disposed of and replaced by other cheap products. It can be deduced that companies that create products of an inferior quality do not contribute to the strength of the economy.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?


A. Managing the waste caused by the repeated disposal of products costs governments dearly.

B. There are many factors that can affect the strength of an economy.

C. The repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy.

D. Products that are not relatively cheap do not necessarily last for longer than those that are.

E. Companies that produce low quality products are not interested in the loyalty of consumers to their specific brand.



I narrowed it down to A. and C.

A says, managing the waste caused by the repeated disposal of products costs governments dearly. Negating A implies that repeated disposal doesn't cost the government dearly. Okay, but the argument still stands that companies that create products of an inferior quality do not contribute to the strength of the economy. A is out.

C says, repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy. On negation the argument falls apart. If the consumer behavior affects the economy positively, it means the companies contribute to the strength of the economy. C is the answer!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Posts: 15
CAT Tests
Re: The range of companies offering different versions of the same product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 22:24
blueviper wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The range of companies offering different versions of the same product is immense compared to what it once was. Because of this competition, many companies offer low quality products, preferring to sell more by demanding lower prices. To spend less, consumers buy the cheaper products which last for shorter periods of time, only to be disposed of and replaced by other cheap products. It can be deduced that companies that create products of an inferior quality do not contribute to the strength of the economy.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?


A. Managing the waste caused by the repeated disposal of products costs governments dearly.

B. There are many factors that can affect the strength of an economy.

C. The repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy.

D. Products that are not relatively cheap do not necessarily last for longer than those that are.

E. Companies that produce low quality products are not interested in the loyalty of consumers to their specific brand.



I narrowed it down to A. and C.

A says, managing the waste caused by the repeated disposal of products costs governments dearly. Negating A implies that repeated disposal doesn't cost the government dearly. Okay, but the argument still stands that companies that create products of an inferior quality do not contribute to the strength of the economy. A is out.

C says, repeated purchasing of a product by the same consumer does not positively affect an economy. On negation the argument falls apart. If the consumer behavior affects the economy positively, it means the companies contribute to the strength of the economy. C is the answer!


Thank you for your explanation. It was really helpful :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The range of companies offering different versions of the same product &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jul 2018, 22:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The range of companies offering different versions of the same product

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.