Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [23]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Ivey Rotman
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [2]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [2]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in [#permalink]
Kudos
The choice A also makes which/that error. “That” is correctly used to add information necessary to identify the noun that precedes it (in this case, “tryptophan”). Here, the choice has already identified tryptophan by name, so the additional information is unnecessary—thus, “that” should be replaced with “which.”
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
gmatprepab wrote:
Marcab wrote:
PraPon wrote:
The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is because these foods contain the chemical tryptophan that promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise; this increase helps to keep emotions under control by aiding sleep, calming anxiety, and relieving depression.

(A) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is because these foods contain the chemical tryptophan that promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise
(B) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improves mood in some people is because they contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise
(C) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improves mood in some people is that these foods contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin like relaxation and exercise
(D) Lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people because they contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes an increase in serotonin, just like relaxation and exercise do
(E) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is that these foods contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise

D "they" is ambigous.

I agree to the rest of your reasoning except D. D is wrong not because "they" is ambiguous (indeed it is not), but because incorrect usage of just like in this option. Just like is considered bad idiomatically, along with incorrect usage of verb "do" with a preposition "like"

hi .. you are right with the idiom Just as
"Just as" is similar to "As...S"o in usage.
Right : As X....so Y ; Just as X.....So Y ; Just As X Y
Wrong: Just Like X...So Y

but imo "they" in option D is also ambiguous as to whether it refers to "Lean meats" or "some people"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anand123456 wrote:
What about Improve and Improves
For Me-- improve is action for subject The reason which is singular,but as given in OA it is action verb for lean meats.
Need explaination for that.
Hi anand123456,

The verb for the reason that... is is.

The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is that these foods contain...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi AjiteshArun,

I understand the option D is wrong, but I don't think that it is wrong because of ambiguity of the pronoun "they".

The subject pronoun of a subordinate clause unambiguously refers to the subject of the main clause. In that sense, the pronoun "they" must be referring to "Lean meats".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
(A) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is because these foods contain the chemical tryptophan that promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise : - Redundant reason / because , Which that error too
(B) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improves mood in some people is because they contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise : Subject Verb error ( Lean meats - improve )
(C) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improves mood in some people is that these foods contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin like relaxation and exercise : Subject Verb error ( Lean meats - improve )
(D) Lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people because they contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes an increase in serotonin, just like relaxation and exercise do :Pronoun reference they is incorrect , just like should be as
(E) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is that these foods contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 996 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
PrashantPonde wrote:
The choice A also makes which/that error. “That” is correctly used to add information necessary to identify the noun that precedes it (in this case, “tryptophan”). Here, the choice has already identified tryptophan by name, so the additional information is unnecessary—thus, “that” should be replaced with “which.”

I don't see how in A there is a "that/which" error. The information related to tryptophan seems essential
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
What about Improve and Improves
For Me-- improve is action for subject The reason which is singular,but as given in OA it is action verb for lean meats.
Need explaination for that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
PrashantPonde wrote:
The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is because these foods contain the chemical tryptophan that promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise; this increase helps to keep emotions under control by aiding sleep, calming anxiety, and relieving depression.

(A) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is because these foods contain the chemical tryptophan that promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise - I can not see any other mistakes except that reason and because seem redundant.
(B) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improves mood in some people is because they contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise - S-V agreement. Lean meats is plural hence "improve" is the right verb. INCORRECT
(C) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improves mood in some people is that these foods contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin like relaxation and exercise - S-V agreement problem like in B. INCORRECT
(D) Lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people because they contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes an increase in serotonin, just like relaxation and exercise do - "they" pronoun seems to refer to mood which is incorrect. INCORRECT
(E) The reason that lean meats, such as salmon, improve mood in some people is that these foods contain the chemical tryptophan, which promotes the same increase in serotonin as do relaxation and exercise - CORRECT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Please someone explain when to use improve and improves.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
mani4gupt wrote:
Please someone explain when to use improve and improves.

Posted from my mobile device

Depends on whether the subject is plural / singular.
If the subject is singular --> improves
If the subject is plural --> improve
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

I understand the option D is wrong, but I don't think that it is wrong because of ambiguity of the pronoun "they".

The subject pronoun of a subordinate clause unambiguously refers to the subject of the main clause. In that sense, the pronoun "they" must be referring to "Lean meats".
Hi abhishekmayank,

I try not to look at a lot of pronoun "rules" as absolutes, so I would not think (as a general rule) that a pronoun in the subject position of a dependent clause refers unambiguously to a noun in the subject position of the main clause. But you're right in saying that there are other ways to take D out. I'd take that option out because it has a clause after a like (the GMAT is expected to look at this kind of like as a preposition, and prepositions are normally followed by noun phrases). This is also something that I don't consider an absolute, but I think it is more reliable than pronoun ambiguity.

... just like relaxation and exercise do... ← "relaxation and exercise do" is a clause (subject + verb combination)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
The underlined portion of the original sentence incorrectly connects "The reason..." with "...is because..." The correct usage is "The reason...is that..." Additionally, the word "that" after tryptophan is used incorrectly. “That” is used to add information necessary to identify the noun that precedes it. If the information is not necessary, use "which." Here, tryptophan was already identified by name, so the additional information is unnecessary. “That” should therefore be replaced with “which.”

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

Apart from whether they contain the errors noticed above, (A), (D), and (E) have the verb “improve,” while (B) and (C) have “improves.” The subject of that verb is "meats," a plural noun. Plural nouns need plural verbs, so "improve" is the correct form ("meats...improve").

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

Interestingly, only (A) uses "that" after "tryptophan." All of the other choices correctly change "that" to the correct "which."

Only (C) and (E) correctly use "The reason...is that..." (A), (B), and (D) can therefore be eliminated. (B) also uses the the wrong verb form of "improves." (D) also introduces two new errors: the pronoun “they” is ambiguous, and the word “like” is used incorrectly to compare verbs.

(C) correctly uses "The reason...is that...," but contains the wrong verb form of "improves" and can thus be eliminated.

(E) is correct, as it fixes both noticed errors and uses the correct form of "improve"

TAKEAWAY: When you have a long sentence with a large portion underlined, look out for multiple errors and work first with whichever error you prefer. Don't forget that choices can introduce new errors as well.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts