It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:05

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 21:50
gmatpapa wrote:
Does the question essentially boil down to the uses of "along with" and "as well as"? If yes then could someone please explain why "along with" is incorrect?

Try skimming option A . The traffic caused by ifjglid as well as by sdljfldsj ( incomplete sentence )
Now option C . The traffic was caused by dskhfljfdsl as well as by jdfjdldfsl.( complete )

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 02:12
C
Distinction bw A,B,C
A - The recent spate....caused by X that was due to Z as well as by Y - parallel but the sentence is incomplete as we need....was caused by.....
B - The recent spate....was caused by X that was due to Z as well as along with Y - not parallel

C - The recent spate...was caused by X that was due to Z as well as by Y - parallel and complete

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 148

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 05:56
(B) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing- Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute along with the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

C) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

Can some one help me in understanding what's wrong with B, regarding the usage of Along with.

I eliminated C since I felt its not parallel.

In Choice C - "Government control enroute as well as by the delayed response" - Felt that the use of prepositional phrase "by" makes the sentence not parallel. Can some one kindly help me in understanding this?

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 148

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3084 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sowragu wrote:
(B) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing- Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute along with the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

C) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

Can some one help me in understanding what's wrong with B, regarding the usage of Along with.

I eliminated C since I felt its not parallel.

In Choice C - "Government control enroute as well as by the delayed response" - Felt that the use of prepositional phrase "by" makes the sentence not parallel. Can some one kindly help me in understanding this?

It is very difficult to identify the parallel elements here. Actually C has correct parallelism because of the usage of by, and B has faulty parallelism because of the absence of by!

Option C.
Traffic jams are caused by X as well as by Y.
X = a spurt in traffic, Y = delayed response.
Traffic jams are caused by 2 things: 1. a spurt in traffic, 2. a delayed response
Usage of by is required to express this parallelism.

Option B is wrong not because of the use of along with, but because of the missing preposition by. In option B it appears as though the illegal trade has flourished due to 2 things: lack of govt control, 2. delayed response.The wrong meaning is conveyed by this faulty parallelism.

Kudos [?]: 3084 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 07:07
lnarayanan wrote:
A) - right ams
B) verb( was caused by ) - wrong
C) verb( was caused by ) - wrong
D) traffic jam by illegal trade as well as delay in repairing - have caused - wrong
E) traffic jam by illegal trade as well as delay in repairing - were( was ) the cause - wrong

My ans - A)

I think "Was" here is for spate and not for "jams"

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3084 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 08:33
Sandeep_810 wrote:
lnarayanan wrote:
A) - right ams
B) verb( was caused by ) - wrong
C) verb( was caused by ) - wrong
D) traffic jam by illegal trade as well as delay in repairing - have caused - wrong
E) traffic jam by illegal trade as well as delay in repairing - were( was ) the cause - wrong

My ans - A)

I think "Was" here is for spate and not for "jams"

Absolutely - "was" is the right verb for singular subject "spate". In fact C is the OA.

Kudos [?]: 3084 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 00:56
The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(A) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(D) A spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly have caused the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

(E) Heavy truck movement carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as the delayed response by the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly were the cause of the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

I hope now it is clear why C is answer . took 3 minutes to identify the answer after narrowing down to ABC :) . I suppose finding subject-verb pair is really really important in almost every question.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 130

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 04:25
PiyushK wrote:
all answer choices are wrong.

1. use of due to is not correct.
2. by spurt in traffic in passive voice is not correct. (refer chapter 5, MGMAT SC) better because or through would have been used rather than by.

PiyushK is right that the use of "due to," a noun modifier, is wrong in every answer choice. However, some GMAT OAs use passive voice. Style is last on the checklist of considerations, and choice C is the only one that could feasibly be correct (if we imagine "due to" was replaced by "because of") because the elements are parallel.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 130

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2017, 04:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ]