GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 15:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 07:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:45) correct 34% (00:57) wrong based on 932 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with chronic obesity.

(A) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with

(B) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associates a reduced life expectancy with

(C) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associates reduced life expectancy to

(D) remains controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with

(E) remains controversial, although statistics clearly associates reduced life expectancy to

Project SC Butler: Day 30: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Intern
Intern
B
Re: The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 09:11
IMO D

SUBJECT-VERB are in sync and associate with is the right form
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 09:53
sudarshan22 wrote:

The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with chronic obesity.

(A) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with

(B) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associates a reduced life expectancy with

(C) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associates reduced life expectancy to

(D) remains controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with

(E) remains controversial, although statistics clearly associates reduced life expectancy to

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

The relationship between corpulence and disease : relationship is singular subject and verb which would go well with it would be remains so D,E left

Line "although statistics": statistics is plural so associate will be correct .. and reduced life expectancy with is correct over reduced life expectancy to

IMO D
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.27
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 14:46
sudarshan22 wrote:

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

Here, we are first focusing on subject verb agreement, so as relationship is singular, it would take singular verb i.e. remains, eliminate A,B and C. Next is the emphasis on statistics. Even though Statistics may seem plural, it is considered as singular as many other words like Mathematics etc. So, Statistics would take a singular verb i.e. associates. So, IMO, Option E.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 16:24
idiom expectancy "to" something is correct in option "E'
sub-verb agreement is also correct in E

hence "E" is correct
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT Date: 03-15-2015
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 22:53
The relationship between corpulence and disease remains controversial
Hence A,B,C are out
In D,E , we have to check whether statistics is singular or plural .
The word statistics is used both as singular and as plural.
The singular statistics is the science of collection, presentation, analysis and interpretation of numerical data.
The plural statistics refers to numerical facts or observations collected with a definite purpose.

In this case we referring to the facts which associate a reduced life expectancy to chronic obesity.
hence plural
IMO D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 02:34

The relationship is singular so singular verb is required,statistics is plural in this context so associate is correct.

Will go with choice D.

Regards
B
GPA: 2.99

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 05:45
This question is all about S-V agreement :)))

The relationship --> singular so the verb ''remain'' should be ''remains''

--> A, B, C out

Statistics --> plurial so ''associate'' and not ''associates'' --> E is out

Answer D.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 08:06
Official Explanation :

Choice A is incorrect because remain should be remains; the subject of the verb is relationship, not corpulence and disease, which are hardly controversial.

Choices B and C are similarly flawed, and associates in B, C, and E should be associate to agree with the intended number of statistics. Finally, associate(s). ..to is unidiomatic in C and E.

Choice D is the best answer.

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 03:20

Here, the subject is "The relationship", which is singular. Therefore, we need to find a singular verb.
statistics is plural I believe, so (E) is incorrect
Also, the correct idiom is "associate with"

Ans: (D)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 18:51
I chose the answer A. This is why:

Initially I thought "The relationship between corpulence and disease..... because there are two nouns i.e. between A and B I thought it should be followed by "remain"....

But then I realised after looking at the explanations that "relationship" is the subject. And the subject is singular and so the word following that should be "remains". Ok fair enough, I accept that explanation.

Then the words "statistics"..... the forum is suggesting that the word "statistics" is plural. Hence this is followed by "associate" instead of "associates". My thoughts here: I initially thought the word "statistics" is singular. Like "politics". "Politics" is a singular word right? So I figured that "statistics" should be followed by "associates". But somehow this thought process is wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts/feedback to share on this?
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 02:59
sudarshan22 wrote:

sudarshan22 wrote:
Official Explanation :

Choice A is incorrect because remain should be remains; the subject of the verb is relationship, not corpulence and disease, which are hardly controversial.

Choices B and C are similarly flawed, and associates in B, C, and E should be associate to agree with the intended number of statistics. Finally, associate(s). ..to is unidiomatic in C and E.

Choice D is the best answer.

Main Issue:

Subject Verb Agreement

Manager
Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 06:17
sarahfiqbal wrote:
I chose the answer A. This is why:

Initially I thought "The relationship between corpulence and disease..... because there are two nouns i.e. between A and B I thought it should be followed by "remain"....

But then I realised after looking at the explanations that "relationship" is the subject. And the subject is singular and so the word following that should be "remains". Ok fair enough, I accept that explanation.

Then the words "statistics"..... the forum is suggesting that the word "statistics" is plural. Hence this is followed by "associate" instead of "associates". My thoughts here: I initially thought the word "statistics" is singular. Like "politics". "Politics" is a singular word right? So I figured that "statistics" should be followed by "associates". But somehow this thought process is wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts/feedback to share on this?

Unlike physics and mathematics, statistics can be used as both singular and plural. It is singular when we refer to the subject but plural when we talk about number and facts.
Here it is plural.

Regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 09:26
What is wrong with "associates with". Experts please help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 11:37
Debayandc wrote:
What is wrong with "associates with". Experts please help.

In this context, "statistics" is plural, so we need a plural verb ("associate", not "associates").
G
The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 16:47

(A) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with - Subject ('relationship') is singular while the verb ('remain') is plural. Here, we have a subject-verb agreement error. hence, eliminate (A).

(B) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associates a reduced life expectancy with - Subject ('relationship') is singular while the verb ('remain') is plural. Here, we have a subject-verb agreement error. hence, eliminate (B).

(C) remain controversial, although statistics clearly associates reduced life expectancy to - Subject ('relationship') is singular while the verb ('remain') is plural. Here, we have a subject-verb agreement error. hence, eliminate (C).

(D) remains controversial, although statistics clearly associate a reduced life expectancy with - Uses the right idiomatic structure 'associate with'. Additionally, we have no subject-verb agreement errors here. Hence, (D) is the right answer choice.

(E) remains controversial, although statistics clearly associates reduced life expectancy to - rather than using 'associate with' structure, (E) uses 'associate to', which is an incorrect idiomatic structure. Hence, eliminate (E)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2020, 20:37
Here, we are first focusing on subject verb agreement, so as relationship is singular, it would take singular verb i.e. remains, eliminate A,B and C. Next is the emphasis on statistics.

Unlike physics and mathematics, statistics can be used as both singular and plural. It is singular when we refer to the subject but plural when we talk about number and facts.
Here it is plural.

Hence we go with D.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2020, 20:37

The relationship between corpulence and disease remain controversial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics