Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [30]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [4]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Re: The report urges convening a White House conference [#permalink]
Kudos
I have a conceptual question here .

The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors

The report-Subject
urges-Verb
convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors-Object.

Wont the construction be better if the object takes a noun form(gerund) .Here the sentence has participle phrases.
Any suggestions . :!:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [2]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
saikarthikreddy wrote:
I have a conceptual question here .

The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors

The report-Subject
urges-Verb
convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors-Object.

Wont the construction be better if the object takes a noun form(gerund) .Here the sentence has participle phrases.
Any suggestions . :!:

The report urges convening a white house conference. : This much is enough to make this part a complete sentence.
Rest of the sentence constitutes what the conference will do. i.e. modifying the conference and best usage will be using two parallel participle phrases.

"encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools" + "and" (conjunction) + "establishing networks of black mentors"

You already have definite noun(The report) to act as a subject, why do you want to use a gerund ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The report urges convening a White House conference, [#permalink]
Kudos
A is correct because there is no error in it ; convening , encouraging and establishing are clearly || ;

C on the other hand is grammatically correct i believe as

Encouraging modifies report and phrase " Congress to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors " seems to be parallel

Can C be correct here
??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Kudos
idontknowwhy94 wrote:
A is correct because there is no error in it ; convening , encouraging and establishing are clearly || ;

C on the other hand is grammatically correct i believe as

Encouraging modifies report and phrase " Congress to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors " seems to be parallel

Can C be correct here
??

Had that been the case, it should have "and" between 'convening' and 'encouraging', but not a comma.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The report urges convening a White House conference, [#permalink]
Kudos
navderm wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:
A. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
B. convening a White House conference, to encourage Congress to appropriate more money for schools and for establishing networks of black mentors
C. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors
D. the convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
E. for convening a White House conference, for encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors

Can someone point out the error I made here:
The report urges convening a white house conference,
- encouraging congress
- to appropriate more money for schools and
- to establish networks for black mentors.

This is the parallelism chart I understood and hence chose C. Why is this incorrect ?

You have one gerund and 2 infinitives, so they're not parallel.

Originally posted by sd1713 on 23 Aug 2020, 17:57.
Last edited by sd1713 on 23 Aug 2020, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Here the sentence has participle phrases.
Any suggestions .

It will be better if you elaborate what participial phrases are used in the correct form of the sentence?
It would help me to resolve your doubt on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM