Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5096 [22]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [6]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [2]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
Send PM
The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in [#permalink]
Can please someone tell me why 'E' is wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in [#permalink]
Kudos
somil0912 wrote:
Can please someone tell me why 'E' is wrong.

Hello.

E has meaning problem. You can't suggest THE FACT that someone SHOULD DO something. "should do" itself implies plan/future, not something happened. Thus, "suggest the fact that X should do Y" makes no sense.

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dom
Hi

The essence of a present subjunctive mood is that there should be an element of mandatoriness or an imperative need to obey in such contexts. Therefore, words such as suggest, recommend or advise can be either subjunctive or non-subjunctive depending upon who suggests, recommends or advises. If a higher hierarchy suggests or recommends, then it is subjunctive, e.g: Supreme Court suggests that the high court look into this —here it is subjunctive because it is the SC which suggests here. However, if the High Court suggests that SC may look into this, then it is not subjunctive because HC cannot order SC. Similarly in this case, reports submitted to the Board, which is a higher authority, are not binding on the Board to adopt. They are mere suggestions and the Board may use them or ignore them. Thus, the mandatoriness is missing in the context. That is the reason in A, that the verb is not in the subjunctive mood but only in the indicative mood
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in [#permalink]
Experts, please explain OE. I understand that answer choice should contain "theirs" not "its" as we are talking about reports, a plural subject.

I selected option B
Some of the posts above mention that "which" wrongly refers to appendices and it should refer to "figures". I disagree with it. Since the construction of the choice B is that " figures in their appendices (prepositional phrase) which ", presence of prepositional phrase does not alter the modification of "which". I think it still correctly modifies figures.
Please clear this, if it is wrong.

If the above judgment is true, is the presence of "would" in the sentence sufficient enough to discard this choice?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
Experts, please explain OE. I understand that answer choice should contain "theirs" not "its" as we are talking about reports, a plural subject.

I selected option B
Some of the posts above mention that "which" wrongly refers to appendices and it should refer to "figures". I disagree with it. Since the construction of the choice B is that " figures in their appendices (prepositional phrase) which ", presence of prepositional phrase does not alter the modification of "which". I think it still correctly modifies figures.
Please clear this, if it is wrong.

If the above judgment is true, is the presence of "would" in the sentence sufficient enough to discard this choice?

There is no justification for the use of hypothetical "would suggest". Moreover "that fact" is unnecessarily wordy and can be omitted. Hence B is wrong.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Easiest issue here is probably the pronouns: "research reports" is plural, so we would definitely need "their appendices", not "its appendix." That eliminates (C) and (D).

Beyond that, I think Kaplan is just trying to get you to choose the most efficient answer choices. Let's compare (A) and (E): the only difference is that (E) adds a couple of unnecessary words ("the fact") -- so we can eliminate (E).

That leaves us with just (A) and (B). I don't think that the difference between "in their appendices figures" and "figures in their appendices" matters much, but (B) again adds some extra crap we don't need: "the fact" is a waste of words, and there's really no reason to use the conditional "would suggest" instead of "suggest." So that leaves us with (A).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION
Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

When the underlined portion contains a pronoun, check to make sure the pronoun clearly and unambiguously refers to a particular noun in the sentence and that it agrees in number and gender with that noun. Here, the pronoun “their” appears early in the underlined portion and can only be referring to "The research reports," the subject of the sentence. That noun is plural, so "their" is appropriate. It appears that there is no error in the original sentence. Check the other answer choices to make sure.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

A vertical scan of the choices reveals a 3-2 split: (A), (B), and (E) use the pronoun "their," while (C) and (D) use the pronoun "its."

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

As noted, "research reports" is plural, so a plural pronoun is needed to replace it. (C) and (D) use the singular "its" and can therefore be eliminated.

(B) and (E) both insert "the fact" near the end, to read "suggest the fact that." This is simply superfluous language; it adds no additional meaning to the original "suggest that." The GMAT prefers concise language whenever possible, so eliminate (B) and (E).

The sentence is correct as written, so (A) is the answer.

TAKEAWAY: Look for the commonly tested errors, such as pronouns, but don't forget that (A) is correct 20% of the time. Don't try too hard to find errors that simply aren't there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 474
Send PM
Is there something wrong with the D option?
"figures in its appendix which suggests thatin their appendices figures which suggest the fact that"
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts