GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The restructuring agency explored several alternatives, i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The restructuring agency explored several alternatives, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:15
jaituteja wrote:
Marcab wrote:
fameatop wrote:
Try this one!! :-D
The restructuring agency explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found any feasible solution to the problems faced by the company.
A) explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found
B) had explored several alternatives, which includes complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found
C) explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, did not found
D) has explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found
E) has explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, did not not found

I would like to put up one question for everyone.

The United States attacked Iraq, claiming that the latter possessed WMDs, but the former has not found any of them till date.

This sentence is analogous to answer choice A. What is wrong with A?
Why D is better than A as per the given OA?

Fameatop...I will really appreciate if you provide us the OE as well in addition to the source of the question.
Best regards,

Hi Marcab,

If i say "Ram went to the market, but has not come back home".

Will the above sentence be correct??

Thanks,
Jai

That depends on the meaning you need to imply.
Here the sentence you listed is incorrect in that Ram is already in the market. How? It is already mentioned in the latter part of the sentence.
But is it the same in the status quo?
NO! We cant deduce the current situation.
Best regards,

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:52
Marcab wrote:

Here the sentence you listed is incorrect in that Ram is already in the market. How? It is already mentioned in the latter part of the sentence.
Best regards,

Hi Marcab,

"The United States attacked Iraq, claiming that the latter possessed WMDs, but the former has not found any of them till date."

Now, the attacking part happened somewhere in the past and the effect of not finding something is still there in the present.

"the former has not found any of them till date".
If you are using "has", then "till date" should be removed as "has" already signifies that the effect of the action is still there in the present.

"The United States attacked Iraq, claiming that the latter possessed WMDs, but the former has not found any of them."

If i say,
"The United States attacked Iraq, claiming that the latter possessed WMDs, but the former did not find any of them till date."

This usage is also correct, as it shows the intended meaning of the sentence.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 07:05
fameatop wrote:
The restructuring agency explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found any feasible solution to the problems faced by the company.
A) explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found
B) had explored several alternatives, which includes complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found
C) explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, did not found
D) has explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, but has not found
E) has explored several alternatives, including complete and partial liquidation of assets, did not not found

Yes, IMO you are right.
Coming back to the question listed by Fame, the current state is " not found" right?
Now if I use "has" in both the clauses, it would imply that both the actions took place now. There will be no proper sequencing of events.
One can also refer to MGMAT SC 5th edition, page 107.

A must be the right answer and not D.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 07:51
Marcab wrote:
fameatop wrote:

Yes, IMO you are right.
Coming back to the question listed by Fame, the current state is " not found" right?
Now if I use "has" in both the clauses, it would imply that both the actions took place now. There will be no proper sequencing of events.
One can also refer to MGMAT SC 5th edition, page 107.

A must be the right answer and not D.

Hi,

Can you explain the below statement in details?
"Now if I use "has" in both the clauses, it would imply that both the actions took place now. There will be no proper sequencing of events."

Please state an example for more clarity.

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 14:00
A is incorrect because of a verb tense issue, which usually indicates a 'meaning' issue. The sentence is basically trying to say that the agency explored several alternatives but did not find a solution--the question is how did it happen? There are essentially two ways to describe it:

(1) both verbs can be in the past (explored...did not find) ; this means that both actions are fully completed--end of story.

(2) both verbs can be in the present perfect (has explored...has not found) ; this means that the agency, at some time in the past, explored several of perhaps many alternatives and did not find a solution, BUT, the agency is still exploring additional alternatives and could still find a solution. To convey this idea, that the agency is still in the process of exploring options and finding a solution, the present perfect is required for the "continued effect" it imparts on these actions--they began in the past and continue to the present moment because they are not yet completed.

Therefore D, which uses the second construction, is correct.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 14:36
Hi Jai,
I think you are missing Marcab's point here. In the Question stem both the events are independent. IMO your sentence "Ram went to the market, but has not come back home" is incorrect. But "Ram went to the market, but the shopkeeper has come home to deliver the goods" is valid

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 21:22
fameatop wrote:

Any other explanations for why A is wrong? Is it really an issue of parallelism? Do you really just pick "has explored" because the later half of the sentence says "has not found?" I feel as if context is what really determines your choice rather than pattern. When you use present perfect, I feel as though they are still searching for solutions while the sentence seems to suggest they have already gave up looking for additional solutions and have settled with their current options, complete and partial liquidation of assets.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2013, 04:18
Quote:
Marcab wrote:

Best regards,

Hi Marcab,

"The United States attacked Iraq, claiming that the latter possessed WMDs, but the former has not found any of them till date."

Now, the attacking part happened somewhere in the past and the effect of not finding something is still there in the present.

"the former has not found any of them till date".
If you are using "has", then "till date" should be removed as "has" already signifies that the effect of the action is still there in the present. This is only theoretically correct. However, in practice, this is not a strict rule.
"The United States attacked Iraq, claiming that the latter possessed WMDs, but the former has not found any of them."

If i say,
"The United States attacked Iraq, claiming that the latter possessed WMDs, but the former did not find any of them till date."

This usage is also correct, as it shows the intended meaning of the sentence.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Jai
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2013, 04:20
Fameatop, Could you please let us know the source of this question?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 11:17
Hi Fameatop, kindly post the OE and the source of this question. I am eagerly waiting for it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2013, 20:53
I feel the correct usage in A would have been, The company 'explored', but 'did not find'. That is the only reason why i eliminated A and chose D.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 05:31
Reinfrank2011 wrote:
A is incorrect because of a verb tense issue, which usually indicates a 'meaning' issue. The sentence is basically trying to say that the agency explored several alternatives but did not find a solution--the question is how did it happen? There are essentially two ways to describe it:

(1) both verbs can be in the past (explored...did not find) ; this means that both actions are fully completed--end of story.

(2) both verbs can be in the present perfect (has explored...has not found) ; this means that the agency, at some time in the past, explored several of perhaps many alternatives and did not find a solution, BUT, the agency is still exploring additional alternatives and could still find a solution. To convey this idea, that the agency is still in the process of exploring options and finding a solution, the present perfect is required for the "continued effect" it imparts on these actions--they began in the past and continue to the present moment because they are not yet completed.

Therefore D, which uses the second construction, is correct.

IMO D as well. I second Reinfrank2011.

The constrcution is not right in A.

On the other hand D rightly puts.."has explored.....has not found".

It was a straight D for me. :)
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2014, 04:26
IMO A. This meaning makes more sense that option D. Explored the options in the past ( past tense required) and has not found the any option ( present perfect test required)

Can anyone explain why D is right?
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 12:57
Hi fameatop ,

can you explain the answer D ?
Current Student
B
GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 16:21
I thought you weren't allowed to have two verbs in past perfect in one sentence
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 01:15
I picked A, don't understand why D is correct. Anyone knows , if it is a official question :|

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 01:57
Hi,

I chose option A and I hope one of you will be able to correct me:
The question indicates a step by step ( 2-steps activity), first you explore and then you find the result. So the tense used for exploration will have to be different from the tense used for finding results. Here, I dont think both are simultaneous activities. Option D uses both the verbs in same tense.

I really dont know if I am missing something here. :(
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The restructuring agency explored several alternatives, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 12:51
fameatop wrote:

only D fits...
we need present perfect for both of the verbs
has explored - an action that happened in the past, but whose effects are felt in present
same thing with has not found
usage of but as a non-conjunction makes you think of parallelism.

A/B/C are out right away
E has did not found - which is not only incorrect because of the wrong tense, but also because it uses DID + FOUND - incorrect usage of past simple.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 16:50
Coordinating conjunctions are used to join structurally similar predicates of a subject. I choose D based on this reasoning.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 00:09
Hi,

Have a doubt regarding the correct answer for each question. Along with every question, there is a link provided which says [Reveal]Spoiler : OA. Does this link refer to the correct answer? Because in quite a few posts I encountered that the answers discussed and the answer in link were not in sync. As they say, Preparing in a wrong manner is worse than not preparing, so, I just wanna be sure as to which is the correct answer actually. Please throw some light on this concern.

Thanks in Advance.

-
K K
Re: The restructuring agency explored several alternatives, i &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jan 2017, 00:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

The restructuring agency explored several alternatives, i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap