Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 23 May 2017, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 98

Reviews Badge
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 16:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.
a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen

The original sentence has two errors -
1. The effect of profit increase is still evident (first part of the sentence says that). Hence present perfect tense should be used instead of past.
2. 'it' does not have an antecedent

A - WRONG because of the above reasons
B - WRONG tense 'had increased' + pronoun error as in (A)
C - Right
D - 'profits with five percent increase' is very awkward.
E - Same as D.

If you have alternate explanations to D & E , please do let me know

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 18:17
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.
a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell
Incorrect. "during" implies continuity.
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen
Incorrect. No need of the past perfect.
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
Correct.
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling
Correct, but wordy (verb vs. participle)
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen
Correct, but wordy and also kind redundant (perfect participle already indicates cause->consequence)

I am going with C.
Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 1470 [0], given: 789

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 05:28
nancykumar wrote:
Need Help, what is "falling " in choice C ( i think it is acting as verb-ing modifier ) so "after falling " is is modifying what ?

"which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling"... this modifies the profits and hence "falling" refers to profits as well. The sentence mentions that the profits have increased after falling over the last two years. IMO, it is a verb-ing modifier as we do not have a helping verb to make it an actual verb.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 16:09
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:

The correct answer C is very tricky in this case because we have two things that happened in the past, but the present perfect tense is correct.

"After falling" doesn't require a past perfect tense because the context of the sentence makes clear that it happened first.

The present perfect tense "have increased" is ok because the increased profits in the first three months is presumably going to have a continued effect in the present (that is the company will continue to have profits).
Director
Director
B
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 09:32
cyriuslevirus wrote:
In the case of the question, "profits increase and then fall"...

Hi cyriuslevirus, I think you got the sequence incorrect and perhaps, that's the reason for the confusion.

According to the sentence, profits fell and then increased (and not the other way round, as seems to be your understanding).

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 296

Re: Belize borders Guatemala and Mexico [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 02:25
daagh wrote:
After dumping B and C for their obvious Pronoun number agreement errors,

(A) Belizeans typically eat their meals with rice, and tortillas are rare --- Here the second sentence is hanging aloof without any relation to the first part. In an extreme way, it may lead wrongly to imply, that the Belizeans typically eat their meals with rice because tortillas are rare

(D) Belizeans typically eat their meals with rice, tortillas a rarity – Same problem as in A; The modifier is dangling without a proper noun to modify

(E) Belizeans typically eat their meals with rice, with tortillas as a rarity – Now the adverbial modifier ‘with tortillas as a rarity’ rightly modifies the previous clause through the action of Belizeans eating rice as a staple; correct choice

Hello Daagh;;Please help me with usage of with
In another SC,

with modifies The results
While here, with modifies rice

Quite confused :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 06:27
PLIT1) THERE ARE TWO PARTS IN THIS SENTENCE. THE LATER PART IS PRESENTED FIRST, SO AFTER THE COMMA YOU NEED TO REMIND THE READER THE SECOND PART ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE FIRST. IN OTHER WORDS, THE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER WAS REVERSED IN THIS SENTENCE. A, D AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT 2) "WHICH" VS "WITH". THE WORD "WHICH" REFERS TO PROFITS CLEARLY VS "WITH". THE WORD "WITH" IS UNCLEAR AND INDIRECT. D AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) SVA. PROFITS IS PLURAL AND THE SINGULAR PRONOUN "IT" REFERS BACK TO PROFITS IN A AND B. SO A AND B ARE OUT.
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 459 [1] , given: 6

Re: The results of the companys cost-cutting measures are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Note that pronouns in possessive forms can refer to possessive nouns.

In this sentence -
"The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits"
"its" can refer to "company's". However, we cannot use the pronoun "it" to refer to "company's".

Option A - Incorrect.
the usage of "it" is incorrect as it cannot refer to the possessive noun "company's".

Option B - Incorrect.
the usage of pronoun "it" is incorrect.
"which had increased during the first three months of the year ..." - the usage of past perfect is incorrect. We can either use the simple past or present perfect.

Option C - Correct Answer.
"which have increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after falling over the last two years."

both the things in bold refer to "profits".
Also, note the usage of present perfect - "have increased". this implies that the statement was made at the end of the three month period.
the usage of past tense "increased" implies that the statement was made After the end of the three month period.

Option D - Incorrect.
Note that prepositional phrases generally serve as adverbial modifiers.
In this case, "with a 5 percent increase during the first 3 months ..." seems to describe How "the results of the company's cost cutting measures Are evident ..."
WHEREAS "a 5 percent increase" and "after falling" should clearly refer to "profits".

Hence, we need a noun-modifier such as "which".

Option E - Incorrect.
Same error as D.
Also, note that "after + having fallen" is redundant.

"having + past participle" already describes a prior action in a sequence of events.
For example -
Having watched the movie, I went to the restaurant.
Here, "watched" happened before "went".

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

VP
VP
S
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 854

Re: The results of the companys cost-cutting measures are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 08:53
fox123456 wrote:
The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

(A) which increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it fell
(B) which had increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it had fallen
(C) which have increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after falling
(D) with a 5 percent increase during the fi rst 3 months of this year after falling
(E) with a 5 percent increase during the fi rst 3 months of this year after having fallen

Can someone please help to explain why falling is correct?
Thanks!

i can go to choice C as oa for this problem
but we have a problem in official answer.
in C, "falling" take the tense of main clause, which is "have increased. this mean "after they have fallen... over last two years". this is not logic.
in this case, subject should be present and full clause is " after the profits fell over last two years"

am I correct? is official answer wrong? sorry for these words. maybe i am wrong

pls, discuss this point

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 511

Kudos [?]: 2253 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The results of the companys cost-cutting measures are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 17:35
victory47 wrote:
fox123456 wrote:
The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

(A) which increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it fell
(B) which had increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it had fallen
(C) which have increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after falling
(D) with a 5 percent increase during the fi rst 3 months of this year after falling
(E) with a 5 percent increase during the fi rst 3 months of this year after having fallen

Can someone please help to explain why falling is correct?
Thanks!

i can go to choice C as oa for this problem
but we have a problem in official answer.
in C, "falling" take the tense of main clause, which is "have increased. this mean "after they have fallen... over last two years". this is not logic.
in this case, subject should be present and full clause is " after the profits fell over last two years"

am I correct? is official answer wrong? sorry for these words. maybe i am wrong

pls, discuss this point

Before discussing this point, please recollect that when words such as "after" and "before" are used, the usage past perfect to depict an event in past of another past event is not required.

After I finished my homework, I went out.... correct.
When I had finished my homework, I went out..... correct.
After I had finished my homework, I went out... redundant.
Now consider the following:
After finishing my homework, I went out.... correct.

In option C it may seem that the tense of the action "fall" should depict that the "falling" happened before the action "increase". However the use of the word "after" already makes it clear that the action "falling" happened before the action "increase". Therefore usage of tense is not required to depict the sequence.
Manager
Manager
B
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 17:58
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2017, 17:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ]