Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial in [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun EducationAisle

Thank you all for your insightful points of view.

Nevertheless, I am still not able to understand the question yet. My problem here is that, even though I realize how quirky "The rising of costs" sounds, in my humble opinion, is the only option correctly addressing the subject of the sentence.

What is creating the opportunity? "The cost" or "The rising"? It is not logical that costs per se are creating any opportunity, therefore the subject of our sentence is "The rise" and only in option a) we would find "The rise" functioning as the subject.

Please, correct me if there is something wrong in my reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial in [#permalink]
Subject verb agreement only fits fine in answer choice C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
BunuelWannabe wrote:
What is creating the opportunity? "The cost" or "The rising"? It is not logical that costs per se are creating any opportunity, therefore the subject of our sentence is "The rise" and only in option a) we would find "The rise" functioning as the subject.

We should consider the rising cost to be one unit. That is, we're not looking at cost, but at rising cost. This is the same as restricting ourselves to a cost that is rising. The sentence says that such a cost has created a growing opportunity for independent companies.

In other words, if you asked these independent companies what has benefited them, they could say "the rising cost of data-processing operations at financial institutions (our clients)." :)

I'm not sure I've answered your question, but please do let me know if I missed something in your question. I'm also putting one more sentence (from an official question) down below. Let me know how this one sounds. That will tell us whether it's just one question that we're working on, or something more general.

Declining values for farm equipment and land are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring. (from here)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
BunuelWannabe wrote:

We should consider the rising cost to be one unit. That is, we're not looking at cost, but at rising cost. This is the same as restricting ourselves to a cost that is rising. The sentence says that such a cost has created a growing opportunity for independent companies.

In other words, if you asked these independent companies what has benefited them, they could say "the rising cost of data-processing operations at financial institutions (our clients)." :)

I'm not sure I've answered your question, but please do let me know if I missed something in your question. I'm also putting one more sentence (from an official question) down below. Let me know how this one sounds. That will tell us whether it's just one question that we're working on, or something more general.

Declining values for farm equipment and land are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring. (from here)

Totally understood now, Rising modifies Cost therefore we are only referring to those costs that go up, which are the ones currently modifing the clause.

Thanks for your help!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Correct BunuelWannabe.

Grammatically, the difference is:
(i) Rising cost: Rising is used as an adjective (participle), modifying cost. So, cost is the subject
(ii) The rising of costs: Rising is used as a noun (gerund, as you mentioned in your earlier post). So, rising is the subject

As mentioned in my earlier post, if the intent is to depict rising as a noun, I would have preferred a pure-play noun rise.

Meaning-wise, the difference is:
(i) Rising cost: Costs that are in the process of rising (as Ajitesh mentioned)
(ii) The rising of costs: Does not explicitly suggest that the process of rising is still underway. In fact, it suggests that the rise itself (and not the process of rising) is being discussed.

For this question, a case can be made for either (i) or (ii); however, also notice that (A) and (C) also differ in costs vs cost. Since we have cost in the non-underlined portion (lower cost), it would be preferable to go with cost in the underlined portion as well.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: -3 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The rising of costs[/u] of data-processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.

(A) The rising of costs -long and awkward as compared to C.

(B) Rising costs - SV doesn't agree in nos. (costs vs has)

(C) The rising cost -SV agree , correct.

(D) Because the rising cost - sentence meaning is distorted, "because the rising cost......did what? we need because X, Y (need subject)

(E) Because of rising costs - same as D.

Kudos !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The rising of costs of data processing operations at many financial in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The rising of costs of data processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.

A. The rising of costs
B. Rising costs
C. The rising cost
D. Because the rising cost
E. Because of rising costs

First point, choice D and E are fragments; they are simply subordinate clauses without a main clause and therefore are out.

The verb is the singular 'has created' in the non-underlined part in tandem, the subject has to be singular; therefore, B is out.
Between A and C, the use of the term 'rising' as an adjective of the cost is much better than the rising of costs, a gerundial noun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Dont understand why Option B is incorrect
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BhavyaKannan wrote:
Dont understand why Option B is incorrect

Hi Bhavya, in B, costs (plural) is the subject and hence, it does not match with the singular verb has.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.

As per my understanding, the best way to answer this question is to focus on "has". Now since "has" is present, which is the verb in the sentence, look out for a subject that is singular.

The rising cost --> this is the subject and it has to be singular, therefore A, B and E are eliminated.

Between C and D:

D: Because the rising cost : now complete the sentence.
It says because the rising cost has done something, second part--> something should have happened, but there is nothing for the second part of the sentence which justifies the use of Because.

Hence C is the only correct answer.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
tejal777 wrote:
The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.

(A) The rising of costs

(B) Rising costs

(C) The rising cost

(D) Because the rising cost

(E) Because of rising costs

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Grammatical Construction

A:
1/ The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the singular verb "has created".

B:
1/ The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the singular verb "has created".

C: Correct.
1/ The sentence formed by this answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "cost" with the singular verb "has created".
2/ Option C acts upon the independent subject "The rising cost" with the active verb "has created" to form a complete thought, leading to a complete sentence.

D:
1/ This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; the use of "Because" forms a dependent clause, meaning the resultant sentence lacks an independent subject.

E:
1/ This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; the use of "Because" forms a dependent clause, meaning the resultant sentence lacks an independent subject.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts