GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 08:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The shift from traditional dentistry to cosmetic dentistry

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The shift from traditional dentistry to cosmetic dentistry  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 12:01
EricImasogie wrote:
I dont understand why A is incorrect. Can someone explain why? D is ok to me, but A seems more precise and is completely parallel

The use of noun + present participle (-ing) modifier is tricky. Such usage is correct when the emphasis is required on the noun, but wrong when the emphasis is required on the action, i.e. the -ing modifier..

For example:

I learnt about John getting a promotion... wrong because the emphasis is required on "getting a promotion"-"getting the promotion" is more the more important factor that the sentence wants to convey.

Similarly the shift of dentistry is not due to "adults", but due to the participles "getting" and " becoming". The emphasis is required on "getting" and "becoming", not "adults". Therefore such usage is wrong here.
Retired Moderator
G
Re: The shift from traditional dentistry to cosmetic dentistry  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 12:18
lotrgandalf wrote:
The shift from traditional dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is due to adults getting fewer cavities and becoming more conscious of their looks.

(A) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is due to adults getting fewer cavities and becoming
(B) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is happening because fewer adults are getting cavities and they are also becoming - Shift to cosmetic dentistry wont occur if Fewer adults would become more conscious of their looks.
(C) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is because of adults who are getting both fewer cavities and becoming
(D) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is taking place because adults are getting fewer cavities and are also becoming
(E) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry occurs because of adults getting fewer cavities and becomes

Source: Carcass & Souvik meaning SC
[/quote]

You did not clarify why A is wrong :)

Take a look at this link:

the-shift-from-traditional-dentistry-to-cosmetic-dentistry-125544.html#p1673430
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 00:49
sayantanc2k wrote:
lotrgandalf wrote:
The shift from traditional dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is due to adults getting fewer cavities and becoming more conscious of their looks.

(A) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is due to adults getting fewer cavities and becoming
(B) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is happening because fewer adults are getting cavities and they are also becoming - Shift to cosmetic dentistry wont occur if Fewer adults would become more conscious of their looks.
(C) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is because of adults who are getting both fewer cavities and becoming
(D) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is taking place because adults are getting fewer cavities and are also becoming
(E) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry occurs because of adults getting fewer cavities and becomes

the-shift-from-traditional-dentistry-to-cosmetic-dentistry-125544.html#p1673430[/quote]

Because "due to" should always be used with nouns and not strange noun+ING compositions?

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 11:28
Icecream87 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
lotrgandalf wrote:

the-shift-from-traditional-dentistry-to-cosmetic-dentistry-125544.html#p1673430

Because "due to" should always be used with nouns and not strange noun+ING compositions?[/quote]

In simple terms, yes. But following is a bit more detailed analysis (from the link above):

The use of noun + present participle (-ing) modifier is tricky. Such usage is correct when the emphasis is required on the noun, but wrong when the emphasis is required on the action, i.e. the -ing modifier..

For example:

I learnt about John getting a promotion... wrong because the emphasis is required on "getting a promotion"-"getting the promotion" is more the more important factor that the sentence wants to convey.

Similarly the shift of dentistry is not due to "adults", but due to the participles "getting" and " becoming". The emphasis is required on "getting" and "becoming", not "adults". Therefore such usage is wrong here.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.23

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 15:37
Can I revive this thread her for a minute? I don't understand the above explanation, I see no emphasis in either of the sentences therefor I still don't understand why A is incorrect. At least A doesn't say "and are also," this phrase adds nothing of substance to the sentence.

Veritas Prep 6/18/17 600 Q:38 V:35 IR:5
Veritas Prep 6/29/17 620 Q:43 V:33 IR:4
Manhattan 7/12/17 640 Q:42 V:35 IR:2.4
Veritas Prep 7/27/17 640 Q:41 V:37 IR:4
Manhattan 8/9/17 670 Q:44 V:37 IR:3
Veritas Prep 8/21/17 660 Q:45 V:36 IR:7
GMAT Prep 8/23/17 700 Q:47 V:38 IR:8
GMAT Prep 8/27/17 730 Q:49 V:40 IR:8
Veritas Prep 8/30/17 690 Q:47 V:37 IR:8

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V21
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 06:46
In option D we have "and are also"- isn't it redundant?

If you appreciate my post then please click +1Kudos :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 10:29

(A) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is due to adults getting fewer cavities and becoming -wrong usage of due to
(B) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is happening because fewer adults are getting cavities and they are also becoming -adults get fewer cavities
(C) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is because of adults who are getting both fewer cavities and becoming -awkward
(D) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is taking place because adults are getting fewer cavities and are also becoming -Correct
(E) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry occurs because of adults getting fewer cavities and becomes -Awkward

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 10:40
buan15 wrote:
In option D we have "and are also"- isn't it redundant?

"are" is required after "and", inorder to make the list parallel.
Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 10:49
hi ,
i don't think the usage of "due to " is wrong in A ..it is correctly modifying "The shift"...

This question is altered . this is a SAT question ..

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=9AT ... &q&f=false

Expert please confirm ..
daagh , GMATNinja , chetan2u
Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 10:51
Hi Experts ,

i don't think the usage of "due to " is wrong in A ..it is correctly modifying "The shift"...

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 11:15
sobby wrote:
Hi Experts ,

I am no expert, but let me give it a try.

The shift is not "caused by" the adults, in fact, the shift is caused because of the reducing # of cases of cavities and the growing knowledge of personal care.
The causation has to be logical.

For example:
The accident due to pothole in the road was horrifying. --> This makes sense, since the accident was caused by the pothole.
The fashion trends are not static due to celebrities changing style. --> This is nonsensical, since the fashion trends are not static not because of the "celebrities" themselves, but because of the changing style of celebrities.

Hope that helps.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 17:17
sayantanc2k, do you know what the source of this question is?
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 20:11
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 22:59
(A) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is due to adults getting fewer cavities and becoming- Due to must follow by noun but here due to is modifying adults getting which is a verb hence incorrect
(B) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is happening because fewer adults are getting cavities and they are also becoming- Redundant in structure "happening because adults are..." .Also getting must modify fewer which is missing in this Option
(C) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is because of adults who are getting both fewer cavities and becoming- Incorrect as because of must be followed by a clause and here because of is modifying adults which is a noun.
(D) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry is taking place because adults are getting fewer cavities and are also becoming - CORRECT, maintains parallelism getting fewer cavities and are also becoming. Getting is correctly modifying fewer
(E) dentistry to cosmetic dentistry occurs because of adults getting fewer cavities and becomes - Getting and becomes is not parallel is structure hence eliminated. Usage of because of is correct here as it is modifying the clause adults getting....

Please consider giving kudos if you find my explanation worth

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The shift from traditional dentistry to cosmetic dentistry &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jan 2018, 22:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

The shift from traditional dentistry to cosmetic dentistry

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap