Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Strengthenx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V20
Send PM
Re: The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
(E) The cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale.

Based on the evidence, we know that the bone flute could have been used to play four of the notes in the diatonic scale. But does that necessarily mean it was used to play the ENTIRE diatonic scale? Maybe it was only used to play 4 or 5 notes? In that case, the full diatonic scale may not have been developed and used until thousands of years later.

Choice (E) does not PROVE that the flute had all 7 notes. However, (E) gives us evidence that the flute could have easily been long enough to play a full diatonic scale. Sure, the Neanderthals may not have used the full length of the leg bone for the instrument. However, with choice (E), we are now better off than we were given the information in the passage.

(E) definitely supports the hypothesis and is the best option.

hey GMATNinja
I have a problem with E
it doesn't tell us whether it was found thousands of years before.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pinakin2456 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
(E) The cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale.

Based on the evidence, we know that the bone flute could have been used to play four of the notes in the diatonic scale. But does that necessarily mean it was used to play the ENTIRE diatonic scale? Maybe it was only used to play 4 or 5 notes? In that case, the full diatonic scale may not have been developed and used until thousands of years later.

Choice (E) does not PROVE that the flute had all 7 notes. However, (E) gives us evidence that the flute could have easily been long enough to play a full diatonic scale. Sure, the Neanderthals may not have used the full length of the leg bone for the instrument. However, with choice (E), we are now better off than we were given the information in the passage.

(E) definitely supports the hypothesis and is the best option.

hey GMATNinja
I have a problem with E
it doesn't tell us whether it was found thousands of years before.

It doesn't particularly matter when the flute was found. We know that it was excavated at a Neanderthal campsite, but the argument doesn't specify when that excavation took place. Knowing that information wouldn't really impact the argument that the diatonic scale was in use thousands of years before the Renaissance.

If you're talking about when the flute was made, then sure! You've identified a small gap in the argument. The author fails to PROVE that the flute excavated at the Neaderthal site is thousands of years old. So, it would strengthen the argument to fill in that gap.

Unfortunately, there are tons of similar gaps that you could think of, and there's absolutely no guarantee that the correct answer choice addresses your particular concern. For example, I could say that the author fails to demonstrate that animals didn't chew the holes in the bone. There's another gap that (E) doesn't address!

So, thinking of how you would strengthen the argument before looking at the answer choices isn't necessarily the best way to go through a CR question. Instead, just evaluate the options in front of you. (E) strengthens the argument, even if it doesn't exactly fill the hole that you've found in the passage. That's enough to make to make (E) the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks GMATNinja for your rich explanation!

Answer E specifies that the bone was created out of "cave-bear leg".

This info (1) doesn't appear in the original text (2) doesn't contribute to E's essential argument.

This was a clear signal for me that E is not the right choice. Why is this reasoning wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmater2358 wrote:

This info (1) doesn't appear in the original text (2) doesn't contribute to E's essential argument.

This was a clear signal for me that E is not the right choice. Why is this reasoning wrong?

Information that supports a hypothesis doesn't need to appear in the original passage. It just needs to increase the likelihood that the hypothesis is true. In fact, outside information can very often strengthen a hypothesis.

So does (E) strengthen our hypothesis?

Well, if the cave-bear leg bone were too short, it may not have been able to contain the full diatonic scale. Since (E) confirms that the bone was "long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale," it supports the idea that the bone was used to play this scale. This in turn supports the hypothesis that the diatonic scale was developed thousands of years ago, since the bone fragment was found at a Neanderthal campsite.

Put another way: although the current fragment is too short to play the diatonic scale, (E) says that the original bone was long enough to play the full diatonic scale. This supports the idea that the scale was developed thousands of years ago, when the bone flute was likely made. Since (E) supports the hypothesis, it's correct.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATNinja how are we showing that it was created 1000 year ago? @experts

GMATNinja wrote:
gmater2358 wrote:

Information that supports a hypothesis doesn't need to appear in the original passage. It just needs to increase the likelihood that the hypothesis is true. In fact, outside information can very often strengthen a hypothesis.

So does (E) strengthen our hypothesis?

Well, if the cave-bear leg bone were too short, it may not have been able to contain the full diatonic scale. Since (E) confirms that the bone was "long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale," it supports the idea that the bone was used to play this scale. This in turn supports the hypothesis that the diatonic scale was developed thousands of years ago, since the bone fragment was found at a Neanderthal campsite.

Put another way: although the current fragment is too short to play the diatonic scale, (E) says that the original bone was long enough to play the full diatonic scale. This supports the idea that the scale was developed thousands of years ago, when the bone flute was likely made. Since (E) supports the hypothesis, it's correct.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
avigutman Can you please explain why B is wrong though I read the above discussion but I am still not crystal clear why that is wrong ?
According to B the bone is the first known musical instrument to use diatonic scale hence it proves the conclusion. The way B is written -before the flute, there was no instrument that used diatonic scale- seems to state that the flute was the instrument "that used diatonic scale".

Other than my sister there was nooone that i could count on- implies i could count on my sister. I ve used same logic for above interpretation. egmat GMATNinja GMATGuruNY
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
avigutman Can you please explain why B is wrong though I read the above discussion but I am still not crystal clear why that is wrong ?
According to B the bone is the first known musical instrument to use diatonic scale hence it proves the conclusion. The way B is written -before the flute, there was no instrument that used diatonic scale- seems to state that the flute was the instrument "that used diatonic scale".

Other than my sister there was no-one that i could count on- implies i could count on my sister. I used same logic for above interpretation

The implication that I highlighted in the quote is incorrect, Elite097.
Here's (B):
Quote:
No musical instrument that is known to have used a diatonic scale is of an earlier date than the flute found at the Neanderthal campsite.
This is a comparison of dates: we have the date of the fragment of a bone flute. We are told that prior to that date there's no evidence of something. That's all (B) says.
Your analogy about your sister is not analogous. That sentence is about who you can or cannot count on - it's not a comparison of dates.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
how are we showing that it was created 1000 year ago? @‌experts

The fragment of the flute was found at a Neanderthal campsite. Neanderthals haven't been around for a few thousand years. So, presumably, if the Neanderthals were using this flute to play music in the diatonic scale, then this scale has been around for a few thousand years, right?

That's what (E) is giving us evidence for. If this Neanderthal-built flute were long enough to play the diatonic scale, it increases the likelihood that the Neanderthals were, in fact, playing this scale. If the Neanderthals, who haven't been around for thousands of years, were playing this scale, it means the scale is thousands of years old. Simple as that.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V49
Send PM
Kudos
I had a particularly hard time with this question, so I made a crude visual aid. "Fragment of a bone flute" is easy to miss.

(If anyone were interested, the real thing is called the Divje Babe flute).
Attachments

bone.png
bone.png [ 10.07 KiB | Viewed 657 times ]

Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Answer choice B raises significant confusion. At the time of making this post, 23% of people had selected B as their answer. The main confusion seems to stem from what the statement even means. I'll try to address that in this post.

A common interpretation is:

The flute that was found at the neanderthal campsite site is the oldest musical instrument that is known to have used a diatonic scale.

This interpretation is wrong.

To explain, let me start with a simplistic example.

Say there are 10 animals standing in front of us.

We know that 9 of them are dogs. We don’t know yet what the species of the 10th animal is.

If I now tell you that:

None of the 9 dogs is older than the 10th animal.

Does that make the 10th animal a dog?
Does that mean that the 10th animal is the oldest DOG among the 10?

No.

It just means that the 10th animal is the oldest among the 10 animals. We still don’t learn the species of the animal.

Another example:

No musical instrument is older than that yellow stick.

Can we infer that the yellow stick is a musical instrument?
No.

The yellow stick is older than all musical instruments. But we learn nothing about whether it is a musical instrument or not.

The same way,

Answer choice B just tells us that no musical instrument (of a particular kind) is older than the flute that was found at the campsite.

That means that the found flute is older than any 'musical instrument that is known to have used a diatonic scale'.
However, it doesn't imply that the found flute is the oldest 'musical instrument that used a diatonic scale'.
In fact, it doesn’t even imply that the found flute is a 'musical instrument that used a diatonic scale'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 369
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated [#permalink]
One reason for the confusion between (B) and (E) could be that people incorrectly paraphrased the passage (just as I did). It never mentions that the bone is sufficient to play the diatonic scale. The argument only suggests that the bone might be likely to play it as it could play some parts of it.

If the argument had stated that the bone could completely play the diatonic scale, then (B) would have served as a strengthener.

Hope this helps someone.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts