It is currently 27 Jun 2017, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1510
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 16:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:44) correct 38% (00:48) wrong based on 980 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation

b) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them

c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them

e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 415
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 19:12
4
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Since the subject of the sentence is "The Sports Medicine Programs", you correctly identified that the corrected sentence needs to begin with "are". So, that narrows it down to C,D,E.

As for the question of C vs. E

C: "Athletes' performance and their preparation" is incorrect because it should be "Athletes' performance and preparation"

D: Similar issue to D, since it uses them

In E, there are no issues and thus it's the correct answer.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Posts: 320
Location: India
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 21:31
2
This post received
KUDOS
E is preferred over C due to parallel construction. Compare...

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Vs

are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

I hope this explains.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7446
Location: Pune, India
Re: The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2011, 23:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Priyanka2011 wrote:
hey


If I were to re word it... Athletes ' performance and athletes ' preparation ( Choice C )

Their is possessive pronoun .. so certainty refers to athletes ' ....

So why is this not PARALLEL ?

Kindly explain


Responding to a pm:

Look at the main sentence (remove the modifiers, bring it down to essentials)
The programs are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation for international competition.

The programs can enhance performance of the athletes but they cannot enhance the preparation of the athletes. The programs can prepare the athletes for international competition. Focus on the meaning.
Hence the parallel elements have to be 'enhancing the performance of athletes' and 'preparing them'
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1439
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 19:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation

b) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them

c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them

e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them






In this problem, I chose C as my answer, however the OA is E. Would someone please explain why?
thanks


A, B are out because of "is".
C, D are out because "their" and "them" cannot refer to "athlete's performance".
E is correct.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7446
Location: Pune, India
Re: The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 20:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
buddyisraelgmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation

b) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them

c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them

e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them



Quick question - isnt " Sports Medicine Programs" a proper noun as all of them have initial letter in upper case? In that case , "IS" should be used. Isnt "B" the correct answer in that case? Pls clarify as I have read that proper nouns are always singular?


When the plural form is used, the word is taken as plural. Here we are talking about 'Programs' so we must use 'are'. We would take it as singular if it is explicitly used with a singular verb in the non-underlined part.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1510
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 01:57
dushver wrote:
E is preferred over C due to parallel construction. Compare...

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Vs

are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

I hope this explains.




ok I agree with that, but in general, if we have a possessive such as "athletes' performance", then of course we can't use "them" to refer to the "athletes" because "athletes" didn't appear. But we could use a possessive proun "their" to refer to the possessive "athlete's performance", no? I understand your explanation perfectly well. i'm only concerned that in the future, whether possessive pronouns can refer to the nouns that are in possessive. Also, this is how i looked at option C:

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation


you see, if you look at the sentence this way, it would appear to be parallel. so how can I avoid myself from looking at sentences this way? because whenever I see "and", I tend to look at the words on both sides. When I looked the the sentence this way, it appeared to me that "are geared to enhance" is implied after "and" such as :

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and (are geared to enhance) their preparation

you see my mistake? what's wrong with that? cause that would appear parallel if you look at it this way. How can I avoid being parallel with the wrong words? how did you know that this is not the tested parallelism?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1893
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 02:55
tarek99 wrote:
dushver wrote:
E is preferred over C due to parallel construction. Compare...

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Vs

are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

I hope this explains.




ok I agree with that, but in general, if we have a possessive such as "athletes' performance", then of course we can't use "them" to refer to the "athletes" because "athletes" didn't appear. But we could use a possessive proun "their" to refer to the possessive "athlete's performance", no? I understand your explanation perfectly well. i'm only concerned that in the future, whether possessive pronouns can refer to the nouns that are in possessive. Also, this is how i looked at option C:

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation


you see, if you look at the sentence this way, it would appear to be parallel. so how can I avoid myself from looking at sentences this way? because whenever I see "and", I tend to look at the words on both sides. When I looked the the sentence this way, it appeared to me that "are geared to enhance" is implied after "and" such as :

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and (are geared to enhance) their preparation

you see my mistake? what's wrong with that? cause that would appear parallel if you look at it this way. How can I avoid being parallel with the wrong words? how did you know that this is not the tested parallelism?


I think, this is a general problem for international guys, not excluding me. 8-)

One guide from Manhattan is that the PARALELLISM needs not only perallel in structure, but also in meaning of the sentence. But, somtimes we do not know a new words, for example "enhance" or we do not know whether "enhance their preparation" is akward or not! How can we avoid that trap?

CALL FOR ANY TIPS AND HELP TO AVOID THIS TRAP!
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 311
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 02:59
tarek99 wrote:
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation

b) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them

c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them

e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them


In this problem, I chose C as my answer, however the OA is E. Would someone please explain why?
thanks




E because of two things i) subject verb agreement "The sports medicine programs are"

ii) Paralellism. are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 86
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 03:48
yellowjacket wrote:
Since the subject of the sentence is "The Sports Medicine Programs", you correctly identified that the corrected sentence needs to begin with "are". So, that narrows it down to C,D,E.

As for the question of C vs. E

C: "Athletes' performance and their preparation" is incorrect because it should be "Athletes' performance and preparation"

D: Similar issue to D, since it uses them

In E, there are no issues and thus it's the correct answer.


I agree with this explanation. "Their" is excessive in the sentence, making the answer choices wordy and less clear..
I would not go with E just because of ||sm.
C. are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation
performance and preparation are parallel here.
P.S. possessive pronoun indeed can refer back to the possessive case: John's work was evaluated by his tutor - Correct.
This not the case with object and subject pronouns (him, he etc.). John's tutor asked him - Wrong.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1510
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2008, 03:59
sondenso wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
dushver wrote:
E is preferred over C due to parallel construction. Compare...

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Vs

are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

I hope this explains.




ok I agree with that, but in general, if we have a possessive such as "athletes' performance", then of course we can't use "them" to refer to the "athletes" because "athletes" didn't appear. But we could use a possessive proun "their" to refer to the possessive "athlete's performance", no? I understand your explanation perfectly well. i'm only concerned that in the future, whether possessive pronouns can refer to the nouns that are in possessive. Also, this is how i looked at option C:

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation


you see, if you look at the sentence this way, it would appear to be parallel. so how can I avoid myself from looking at sentences this way? because whenever I see "and", I tend to look at the words on both sides. When I looked the the sentence this way, it appeared to me that "are geared to enhance" is implied after "and" such as :

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and (are geared to enhance) their preparation

you see my mistake? what's wrong with that? cause that would appear parallel if you look at it this way. How can I avoid being parallel with the wrong words? how did you know that this is not the tested parallelism?


I think, this is a general problem for international guys, not excluding me. 8-)

One guide from Manhattan is that the PARALELLISM needs not only perallel in structure, but also in meaning of the sentence. But, somtimes we do not know a new words, for example "enhance" or we do not know whether "enhance their preparation" is akward or not! How can we avoid that trap?

CALL FOR ANY TIPS AND HELP TO AVOID THIS TRAP!



thanks for the input, but dude, don't i at least sound like i'm trying to do just that? trying to seek tips and help from anyone? heheh....HELP! is what I meant to say in my first post of this thread...heheh...i'm just in a good mood today. so can anyone help me out?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2008, 04:15
But how about prepositional phrase vs. prepositional phrase parallelism? I strongly believe that there should be 'toward' before 'preparing' too... what am I missing? Isn't the preposition mandatory for both sides of the parallelism? :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 289
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2008, 04:43
E would be a better choice because C make it sound like programs are geared to enhance preparation - that is NOT right.




In this problem, I chose C as my answer, however the OA is E. Would someone please explain why?
thanks[/quote]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 297
Location: Hungary
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2008, 05:05
As I am not a native speaker, I can see only redundant problem with answer C. Their is rudundant in sentence C.
Athletes' performance and preparation would be correct, I think.


E is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 58
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2009, 02:57
why is it plural? I thought "Sports Medicine Programs" is a proper noun hence singular. ????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 289
Reviews Badge
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2010, 21:15
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for internation competition.

A) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for internation competition
B) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them
C) are geared to enhance athlete's performance and their preparation
D) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' peformance and toward preparing them
E) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
E


I originally chose A. Can someone explain why the correct tense is plural. The modifier states that it is a complex (singular), which threw me off.

Last edited by walker on 02 Feb 2010, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Walker: Please, use "spoiler" to hide the OA. Thanks.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Posts: 306
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Re: GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 00:15
" a complex" refers to Olympic Training Center, but the subject of the main clause is "The Sports Medicine Programs" - a plural noun phrase as you can see.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 289
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 15:01
Cool, thanks for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2009
Posts: 42
Re: GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 15:09
I picked C. What is wrong in C ?

are geared to enhance athlete's performance and their preparation

athlete's performance and their preparation seems to be parallel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 289
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:10
enhance and preparation should be parallel? In C, it is not. It should be to enhance and to prepare or enhancing and preparing, etc
Re: GMAT Prep SC   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2010, 16:10

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Aquatics, a Summer Olympic sports category, prasadyanz 3 18 Aug 2016, 23:10
14 GMATPREP ChallengeQ -The Sports Medicine Programs of the... PiyushK 7 03 Aug 2016, 03:34
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, eybrj2 5 03 Aug 2016, 03:35
2 The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, Onell 7 03 Aug 2016, 03:36
7 The sports medicine program of the Olympic Training Centre maheshsrini 20 09 Apr 2017, 06:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.