It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 48

GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 11:50
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for internation competition.

A) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for internation competition
B) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them
C) are geared to enhance athlete's performance and their preparation
D) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' peformance and toward preparing them
E) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

Hit kudos if you like my post

Today's preparation determines tomorrow's achievement.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 48

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8453 [0], given: 102

Re: The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 14:26
nahid78 wrote:
Hello. mikemcgarry,
Another one...
I was hesitating between C and E.
I couldn't find meaning differences between them, and picked C. As I found it concise.
Why is C wrong?

Thanks again.... and again... :)

Dear nahid78,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Here's the question with (C) & (E).

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

C) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Part of this is the parallelism and part of this is the idiom.

In the original, notice there are two actions
(1) enhancing athletes' performance
(2) their preparation
The prompt does not do a good job of presenting those two in parallel. Choice (E) does an excellent job of putting them in parallel, whereas (C) changes their relationship--in (C), the action of "enhancing" applies to both parts, "athletes' performance and their preparation." This is a small change to the meaning.

Also, when the verb "gear" is used metaphorically, it idiomatically takes the preposition "toward." The construction "geared toward" sounds natural, whereas the construction "geared to" sounds awkward. I want to emphasize that this is an idiom that appears relatively infrequently--one might take 100 GMATs in a row and never see a question involving this particular idiom.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 96

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
LogicGuru1 wrote:
maheshsrini wrote:
The sports medicine program of the Olympic Training Centre is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) ....
b) is geared to enhance performance of athletes and to prepare them.
c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation.
d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them.
e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them.

OA will be posted later.

ANSWER IS E

The first decision point is to find the subject of the sentence and its grammatical number (singular or plural)
Lets do that here by removing non essential parenthetical information from the sentence

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

As we can see the Subject is "PROGRAMS" which is plural, therefore our options will start with "ARE" and not "IS"

A and B are out
SECONDLY we can see that the coordinating conjunction "AND" is used therefore there should be separate subjects in each clause before and after "and"

a) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation
WRONG:- SV AGREEMENT

b) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them
WRONG:- SV AGREEMENT

c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation
WRONG:- athletes' is used not as a noun but as an adjective that modifies the noun performance. The position of the apostrophe in athletes' denoted that it is used as an adjective. The subject of the clause becomes performance
Therefore there is pronoun error in the clause. "Their " is a pronoun that refers back to performance but logically it should refer back to athlete.

d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them
WRONG:- Not parallel - "enhancement" and "preparing" are not parallel forms of verb
SAME AS C. athletes' is used not as a noun but as an adjective that modifies the noun performance. The position of the apostrophe in athletes' denoted that it is used as an adjective. The subject of the clause becomes performance
Therefore there is pronoun error in the clause. "Their " is a pronoun that refers back to performance but logically it should refer back to athlete.

e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them
CORRECT:- A proper subject athletes (plural) exist in the second clause and the pronoun "them" correctly refers back to athlete.
Enhancing and preparing are parallel

Thanks for the detailed explanation :)

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 96

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 03:44
sag wrote:
maheshsrini wrote:
The sports medicine program of the Olympic Training Centre is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition. Highlighted Text is Singular

a) ....
d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them. change of meaning in enhancement

OA will be posted later.

to enhance better than enhancing. Therefore, B.

As per question it is -- "The sports medicine programs" which must be Plural. Therefore, use of "are" is correct.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 06:48
seekmba wrote:
the correct question is:

'Sports Medicine Programs' is plural...hence we need 'are'

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final try outs are held for athletes representing the US in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

A.) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation
B.) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them
C.) are geared to enhance athletes performance and their preparation
D.) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them
E.) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them - CORRECT

Sir,
If you write the sports medicine programs in the way you've written - Sports Medicine Programs - then I'm afraid it turns into a proper noun and in that case, I think, we have to treat it as a singular entity.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 07:02
It's straight E[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my vivo 1601 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Last edited by nks2611 on 09 Apr 2017, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 254

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 03:46
I choose E and got it right, but I still couldn't understand why C is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 254

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7916 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 06:14
Top Contributor
"Enhance athletes performance" is wrong diction. It should be "athletes' performance" with an apostrophe. In addition, "them" refers to the programs rather than the athletes as already pointed out.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7916 [0], given: 364

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 23:47
mikemcgarry wrote:
nahid78 wrote:
Hello. mikemcgarry,
Another one...
I was hesitating between C and E.
I couldn't find meaning differences between them, and picked C. As I found it concise.
Why is C wrong?

Thanks again.... and again... :)

Dear nahid78,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Here's the question with (C) & (E).

C) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Part of this is the parallelism and part of this is the idiom.

In the original, notice there are two actions
(1) enhancing athletes' performance
(2) their preparation
The prompt does not do a good job of presenting those two in parallel. Choice (E) does an excellent job of putting them in parallel, whereas (C) changes their relationship--in (C), the action of "enhancing" applies to both parts, "athletes' performance and their preparation." This is a small change to the meaning.

Also, when the verb "gear" is used metaphorically, it idiomatically takes the preposition "toward." The construction "geared toward" sounds natural, whereas the construction "geared to" sounds awkward. I want to emphasize that this is an idiom that appears relatively infrequently--one might take 100 GMATs in a row and never see a question involving this particular idiom.

Does all this make sense?

Dear Mike,
I have a doubt in C. I think 'their' is properly referring to athletes here as possessive pronoun can refer to possessive noun. Please confirm.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 17:27
anje29 wrote:
Dear Mike,
I have a doubt in C. I think 'their' is properly referring to athletes here as possessive pronoun can refer to possessive noun. Please confirm.

Dear anje29,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, the possessive pronoun "their" has, as its antecedent, the possessive noun "athletes'." Usually, possessive nouns can't be antecedents, but they can be antecedents of possessive pronouns.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 07:48
The sports medicine programs of the Olympic Training Centre is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) ....
d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

Re: The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 07:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 91 posts ] 

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap