Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but accidents, [#permalink]
Although above posts have explained that D is wrong and B is right due to standard English and weather conditions don’t have capability to be foreseen

But my query is different as below:
Please check AjiteshArun IanStewart GMATIntensive

D says: weather conditions that are not foreseeable. It means there are some conditions that are foreseeable.
IN other words, It is same way to say Pilot errors= some errors may happen. Similarly some weather conditions are not foreseeable( We tried to foresee but we could not due to some errors )

Accidents could be avoided because accidents happen only with those errors that are not foreseeable. Accidents may not have happened with conditions that are foreseeable .
E.g. Pilot errors ( errors that can be avoided)

For B: weather conditions that cannot be foreseen then it a complete set and indicates that no matter what accidents would happen because a weather conditions which can not be foresee , can not be foresee( means you can not do anything about it)
Here : technical errors are suitable example:. ( you cannot control technical errors)

So I chose D over B after this much analysis and found wrong in the end:(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but accidents, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi mSKR,

I strongly recommend that you look at B/D as a pure "sound" call. For example:

1. A device that cannot be repaired
2. A device that is not repairable

Can we really say that (2) is wrong? No. But (1) is better than (2), even though it is (slightly) longer and uses the passive voice.

Keep in mind that some GMAT questions will come down to "sound" calls like this one. Not all questions will include clear-cut grammar or meaning calls.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mk96 wrote:
Gmat ninja - I want to know your views on usage of "foreseeable" and "unforseeable" and "foreseen". Is the use of unforeseeable weather conditions in option C correct?

I agree with a lot of the experts on this thread: it's not worth your time to deeply engage with the difference between "unforeseeable weather conditions," "weather conditions that cannot be foreseen," and "weather conditions that are not foreseeable."

(C) can be eliminated because the pronoun "they" has no logical antecedent.

As for (B) vs. (D) -- this is one of the unfortunate questions that comes down to slight stylistic differences. There is no grammatical issue with either option, and there isn't a huge difference in meaning between the two choices. If you're in the test and struggling with something like (B) vs. (D), your best bet is to decide quickly between the two and move on to other, more fruitful questions.

The good news is that this is likely a very, very old question, and it seems like GMAC is moving away from testing subtle use of idioms that don't impact the meaning of a sentence. So please don't kill too many brain cells over this issue :).

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stern '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Can we conclude that in questions such as these, in which we're stuck between choices such as [B] and [E], and the only difference is between the choices is the Correct idiomatic usage, it's always better to go with the idiom used in the original sentence if we're not confident about either of them?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but accidents, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NareshGargMBA wrote:
Can we conclude that in questions such as these, in which we're stuck between choices such as [b] and [E], and the only difference is between the choices is the Correct idiomatic usage, it's always better to go with the idiom used in the original sentence if we're not confident about either of them?

Hi Naresh, idiomatic usage is not the only difference between B and E.

The pronoun they in option E does not have any valid antecedent in E and (believe it or not) this is a very big deal on GMAT SC.

p.s. It is extremely unlikely that idiomatic usage is the only difference between two choices on GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I was between B and D. When I encounter something like this and the timer is reaching the upper acceptable limit, I begin using my ear instead of rules. B sounded better than D and therefore I chose B. Using your ear is not ideal; but, when you are running out of time on a question and you must move on, it may be your best bet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 2.81
Send PM
Is D incorrect only because its verbose? Or am I missing something here?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51

GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Rasalghul853 wrote:

Because it has the same number of words and one more character than the right answer? No, this is definitely not about verbosity, which is not something we particularly care about on the GMAT.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Expert Reply
Rasalghul853 wrote:

Check out our (admittedly unsatisfying) post about (D) here!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Option D uses unforeseeable(adjective) as a noun that's why it is wrong.
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Dee9 wrote:
Option D uses unforeseeable(adjective) as a noun that's why it is wrong.

No it doesn't.

Option D uses "unforeseeable" (adjective) as an adjective. The verb "is" can take as its object an adjective.

(I suppose I might be more technically accurate to say that the verb "is" is intransitive and does not have a direct object, traditionally speaking, at all. Either way, the fact remains, the word after "is" does not need to be a noun.)
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but accidents, [#permalink]
Hi Experts

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts

I got this question right but still I have a doubt

Active voices are those in which subject performs the action now how can " weather conditions that could not be foreseen" this sentence is in active voice.
Weather condition is not performing any actions. Can you please explain where am I wrong?

Thanks alot mentors for always helping.

Send PM
Kudos
Vatsal7794 wrote:

Active voices are those in which subject performs the action now how can " weather conditions that could not be foreseen" this sentence is in active voice.
Weather condition is not performing any actions. Can you please explain where am I wrong?

Note the helping "is": "be foreseen" is passive voice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts

Hi Vatsal7794,

You are not wrong. Could not be foreseen is in the passive voice.

1. X could not foresee Y. ← Active

2. Y could not be foreseen by X. ← Passive
ISB & IIM Moderator
Send PM
Hi AnthonyRitz

Thanks for the reply but didn't understand.

Please see the below two sentences
"weather conditions that cannot be foreseen" and " weather conditions that are not foreseeable"

Now first sentence is in active voice and second sentence is in passive voice.

What I have learnt about active voice is - The subject of the sentence performs the action.
But in the above first sentence "weather condition" is not performing any action then how it is in active voice.

In short what I know is - if you want to differentiate between Active and passive voice then see if the subject is performing or not. If subject is performing action then it is active else passive.
Is there any other way also to differentiate between active and passive?

Thanks
ISB & IIM Moderator
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

other experts

Hi Vatsal7794,

You are not wrong. Could not be foreseen is in the passive voice.

1. X could not foresee Y. ← Active

2. Y could not be foreseen by X. ← Passive

Hi AjiteshArun

Thanks for the respond.

X is performing the action of prediction that's why it is in active voice. Right?

Send PM
Kudos
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi AnthonyRitz

Thanks for the reply but didn't understand.

Please see the below two sentences
"weather conditions that cannot be foreseen" and " weather conditions that are not foreseeable"

Now first sentence is in active voice and second sentence is in passive voice.

What I have learnt about active voice is - The subject of the sentence performs the action.
But in the above first sentence "weather condition" is not performing any action then how it is in active voice.

In short what I know is - if you want to differentiate between Active and passive voice then see if the subject is performing or not. If subject is performing action then it is active else passive.
Is there any other way also to differentiate between active and passive?

Thanks

No, the first sentence is in the passive voice. You keep saying it's active (why?), but you yourself have acknowledged that the subject is not doing any action, and the use of a helping "is" in the form "be foreseen" is indicative of the passive voice. ("be" and "is" are different forms of the same verb.) One of the main uses of the verb is, as a helping verb, in the English language is to create the passive voice. (The helping "is" is also used to create the continuous, in conjunction with an "-ing" verb.)

Given your comments, the one thing that doesn't track is why you are insisting that the "first sentence is in active voice" when you're simultaneously explaining exactly why that's not true.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts