Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th [#permalink]
Kudos
sudeshpatodiya wrote:
Please can someone elaborate on the usage of 'being' on GMAT. It's very confusing.

Hi sudeshpatodiya

You may find this post useful.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ornithologis ... l#p2288730
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
In (B), "they" after but should refer back to the subject of the previous clause "planets" which is wrong, then how com "they" is referring to "stars"?

Hi Lakshya, stars (and not planets) is the subject of the previous clause the stars are in motion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
In (B), "they" after but should refer back to the subject of the previous clause "planets" which is wrong, then how com "they" is referring to "stars"?

lakshya14

(B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

The Subject of the previous clause is 'stars' and not 'planets'. "They" is referring to "stars"

"Like the Planets" is modifier modifying the stars.
Try to remove the 'Like the Planets' part. The remaining part still makes sense. "The stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds; but they are"
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AcesA wrote:
In option B, "them" can point to both the stars and the planets. Again "they" can refer to both. How to counter this issue?

Hello AcesA,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, since "some of them at tremendous speeds" is an adverbial phrase that modifies the clause "the stars are in motion", we can tell that "them" refers to "stars", and since a pronoun and its derivatives can only refer to a single referent in one sentence, we can reasonably conclude that "they" also refers to stars.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Are you saying "being" is not at all a verb? My wordweb dictionary reports it as a verb too
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2014
GPA: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

to me they all sound retarded...

Please explain how B is correct. Manhattan SC states that 'Like' cannot be used for comparison if there is a clause. Isn't 'the stars are in motion' a clause or am i making a very stupid mistake here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi -- Two questions:

Can someone explain the difference here between "like" vs. "as"? I was under the impression that "as" is used to compare clauses vs. "like" which is used to compare nouns, correct?

I narrowed it down to B and D and chose D because I *thought* that I was comparing the "motion of the stars" to the "motion of the planets". Doesn't that warrant a clause comparison, in turn, using "as" as the comparison marker?

As a + 1 -- can someone purely use comparison to eliminate the 5 answer choices, I would love to see what is being compared. I can only eliminate "C" b/c of the "although" in the front creates an awkward comparison. Was I wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u / mikemcgarry

Can you please explain why there is no pronoun ambiguity in B.
B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

THEY can also refer to planets.

I am facing a lot of issue in pronoun ambiguity issues and hence I am not confident in eliminating options on the basis of pronoun ambiguity.

Please assist how can I comprehend this topic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Hi sayantanc2k,

Could you explain this in a clearer way by putting an example, for instance?

"If a pronoun is subject of a clause and has two possible antecedents, one of them the subject of another clause within the sentence, then the pronoun would unambiguously refer to that subject antecedent."

I do not think that what you are stating is always the case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Could someone please explain, why in the correct answer choice B), "them" and "they" unambiguously refers to stars, and not planets?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
manlog wrote:
Could someone please explain, why in the correct answer choice B), "them" and "they" unambiguously refers to stars, and not planets?

If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, one of which is the subject of another clause within the sentence, the pronoun would, by virtue of parallelism, unambiguously refer to the subject antecedent.

Here "they" is the subject of a clause and so is the antecedent "stars". Hence this reference is unambiguous.
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

to me they all sound retarded...

In B, is 'the stars are in motion' modifier' or 'appositive'? if not, then WHY we block off 'the stars are in motion' by comma?
If I say:
Like you I'm the member of GMAT Club. So, should I use comma after 'you' like bellow:
Like you, I'm the member of GMAT Club.
also, 'them' and 'they' refers to what? Does it refer 'planets' or 'stars'?
sayantanc2k wrote:
manlog wrote:

If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, one of which is the subject of another clause within the sentence, the pronoun would, by virtue of parallelism, unambiguously refer to the subject antecedent.

Here "they" is the subject of a clause and so is the antecedent "stars". Hence this reference is unambiguous.

So, HOW do we understand that x (stars) is antecedent of y (they), and p (planets) is antecedent of q (them)?
Thanks expert...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Dear experts,
Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime

is "some of them at tremendous speeds" an absolute phrase, which modifies the preceding clause.

please confirm

Quote:

experts,
like + noun works as a phrase in although clause, does it valid?
what I see mostly is that like + noun works as a comparison, in front of entire sentence.
this is first time for me, I am not sure whether it is valid and none discussed in this thread,
appreciate if clarify

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Dear experts,
Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime

is "some of them at tremendous speeds" an absolute phrase, which modifies the preceding clause.

please confirm

Quote:

experts,
like + noun works as a phrase in although clause, does it valid?
what I see mostly is that like + noun works as a comparison, in front of entire sentence.
this is first time for me, I am not sure whether it is valid and none discussed in this thread,
appreciate if clarify

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

"Some of them at tremendous speeds" is a special type of modifier called subgroup modifier. I have discussed about this type here:

the-stars-some-of-them-at-tremendous-speeds-are-in-motion-54399-20.html#p1637254

Structurally, constructions such as "like the planets the stars are in motion" may be used as an independent clause by itself or used within a dependent clause - "Although like the planets the stars are in motion...."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
hello sir
here my doubt is regarding SOME OF WHICH used in option C
what is the difference between "SOME OF THEM" and "SOME OF WHICH"
SAY,IF THIS WERE THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OPTION A and option E,then which option would be correct?
THANK YOU
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
JAIN09 wrote:
hello sir
here my doubt is regarding SOME OF WHICH used in option C
what is the difference between "SOME OF THEM" and "SOME OF WHICH"
SAY,IF THIS WERE THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OPTION A and option E,then which option would be correct?
THANK YOU

The following post addresses your query:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/john-s-nephe ... l#p2005604
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts