Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [21]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model, which, though not well known as some other companies’ bikes, were less expensive, quickly became popular with cyclists worldwide.

A. well known as some other companies’ bikes, were less expensive, quickly became
Errors-
1) SV error - subject is FIRST MODEL and is being modified by pronoun which. So what follows 'which' should be in agreement with singular subject. If you cut the unnecessary portion 'though not well .... bikes", the verb is were, which is incorrect.
2) usage of AS- AS is used to compare clause and is wrongly used here to talk of 'some other company's bikes.

B. that well known as some other companies’ bikes, were less expensive, and they quickly became
Apart from the error of A, a new error is introduced by usage of THEY and THAT

C. as well known as some other companies’ bikes, was less expensive, quickly became
correct..
1) AS .... AS is used and thus the usage of single as is corrected
2) WAS is correctly used

D. well known as some other company’s bike, was less expensive and quickly became
Errors of ' usage of AS' and a new error is introduced - when you cut non-essential part starting with 'which', the subject requires a VERB, which here is replaced with coordinating conjunction AND

E. well known, as were some other companies’ bikes, was less expensive, quickly becoming
errors are not corrected and other errors introduced

C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
sumit411 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model, which, though not well known as some other companies’ bikes, were less expensive, quickly became popular with cyclists worldwide.

A. well known as some other companies’ bikes, were less expensive, quickly became
Errors-
1) SV error - subject is FIRST MODEL and is being modified by pronoun which. So what follows 'which' should be in agreement with singular subject. If you cut the unnecessary portion 'though not well .... bikes", the verb is were, which is incorrect.
2) usage of AS- AS is used to compare clause and is wrongly used here to talk of 'some other company's bikes.

B. that well known as some other companies’ bikes, were less expensive, and they quickly became

C. as well known as some other companies’ bikes, was less expensive, quickly became
correct..
2) WAS is correctly used

D. well known as some other company’s bike, was less expensive and quickly became
Errors of ' usage of AS' and a new error is introduced - when you cut non-essential part starting with 'which', the subject requires a VERB, which here is replaced with coordinating conjunction AND

E. well known, as were some other companies’ bikes, was less expensive, quickly becoming

C
Hi chetan2u sir,

I still can't get why E is wrong. As is correctly followed by a clause.

Secondly, becoming famous is typical verb+ing modifier presenting result of the previous clause. Additionally, becoming famous is makes sense with the subject of the previous clause.

For C--->

Was less exprensive, quickly became famous. - - - - > for me, it seems like something is missing between them. They look like cause and effect.

Please fill the gap in my understanding.

Thank you = Kudos

Two problems...
1) verb error...
There is NO verb in the main sentence.. if I cut out non-essential part starting with which and ending with expensive..
The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model [s], which, though not well known, as were some other companies’ bikes, was less expensive, [\s] quickly becoming
So quickly becoming is modifier ( ING modifier) but where is the VERB. In C verb was became, which is now converted into modifier. So first portion is incomplete with just a subject - the startup.... bike.
2) introduction of a comma after known makes WERE as verb of bike.
Thank you for clarification sir. I still have a small confusion though.

1) regarding missing verb in option E, why you are considering the non-essential modifier to end with expensive rather than bikes .

So if we remove the non - essential modifier - - - > The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model was less expensive, quickly becoming

2) agreed about SV error

Thank you = Kudos
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sumit411 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Errors-

correct..
2) WAS is correctly used

C
Hi chetan2u sir,

I still can't get why E is wrong. As is correctly followed by a clause.

Secondly, becoming famous is typical verb+ing modifier presenting result of the previous clause. Additionally, becoming famous is makes sense with the subject of the previous clause.

For C--->

Was less exprensive, quickly became famous. - - - - > for me, it seems like something is missing between them. They look like cause and effect.

Please fill the gap in my understanding.

Thank you = Kudos

Two problems...
1) verb error...
There is NO verb in the main sentence.. if I cut out non-essential part starting with which and ending with expensive..
The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model [s], which, though not well known, as were some other companies’ bikes, was less expensive, [\s] quickly becoming
So quickly becoming is modifier ( ING modifier) but where is the VERB. In C verb was became, which is now converted into modifier. So first portion is incomplete with just a subject - the startup.... bike.
2) introduction of a comma after known makes WERE as verb of bike.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.2
WE:Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Send PM
Apart from the idiom error in option D, how is usage of and wrong in the sentence?

The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model, which, though not as well known as some other company's bike, was less expensive and quickly became popular with cyclists worldwide.

Can someone please clear my confusion regarding connector and?

The model was

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Is option D incorrect because when we remove the fluff in the middle, it reads out like this and has no main verb?
The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model, which, was less expensive and quickly became popular with cyclists worldwide
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
csaluja wrote:
Is option D incorrect because when we remove the fluff in the middle, it reads out like this and has no main verb?
The startup direct-to-consumer bike company’s first model, which, was less expensive and quickly became popular with cyclists worldwide

Exactly.

Also, in the version created via the use of D, we have the following:

"though not well known as some other company’s bike"

Notice that that construction is missing an "as" before "well known", and that, as a result, it conveys the nonsensical meaning that the company's first model is not well known as being some other company's bike.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Only C uses ‘as’ properly.

C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep
Shouldn't there be an And between " was less expensive" and "quickly became". Only because of this reason i didn't select C.

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Send PM