It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:30

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Oct 2016
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 28

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 00:22
Is there a better explanation as to why D is incorrect?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 28

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2863

Kudos [?]: 968 [1], given: 69

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 00:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
dhruv1911 wrote:
Is there a better explanation as to why D is incorrect?


Hi dhruv1911 ,

D is wrong because it is joining two independent clauses with a comma and no FANBOYS.

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of them have a population less than 10,000.

Does that make sense?
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 968 [1], given: 69

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8336 [1], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 02:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
D is wrong primarily not because it misses the preposition 'of' after population. but because it is a comma splice as Abhi has pointed out. There is no need to worry about the correctness of the not - underlined part, unless you can draw some clues from it to solve the error if any
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8336 [1], given: 366

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 812

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 08:45
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 25

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 14:50
mikemcgarry, would the following be correct in this case (had it been an option)?

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some have a population less than 10,000.

I realize that the post is old and I might be bothering you :) Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 25

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4554

Kudos [?]: 8966 [0], given: 111

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 16:17
mohit2491 wrote:
mikemcgarry, would the following be correct in this case (had it been an option)?

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some have a population less than 10,000.

I realize that the post is old and I might be bothering you :) Thanks in advance!

Dear mohit2491

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, your version is awkward and not at all how a native speaker would phrase it. I guess it's grammatically correct, but that's beside the point. The version that would be 100% correct in every respect is:

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8966 [0], given: 111

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Posts: 93

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 74

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 20:35
mikemcgarry wrote:
mohit2491 wrote:
mikemcgarry, would the following be correct in this case (had it been an option)?

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some have a population less than 10,000.

I realize that the post is old and I might be bothering you :) Thanks in advance!

Dear mohit2491

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, your version is awkward and not at all how a native speaker would phrase it. I guess it's grammatically correct, but that's beside the point. The version that would be 100% correct in every respect is:

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)


Hi Can you please tell me why 'B' is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 74

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 25

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
sarathgopinath wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
mohit2491 wrote:
mikemcgarry, would the following be correct in this case (had it been an option)?

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some have a population less than 10,000.

I realize that the post is old and I might be bothering you :) Thanks in advance!

Dear mohit2491

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, your version is awkward and not at all how a native speaker would phrase it. I guess it's grammatically correct, but that's beside the point. The version that would be 100% correct in every respect is:

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)


Hi Can you please tell me why 'B' is wrong?



sarathgopinath Quoting again what Mike said,

The word "which" is a relative pronoun. It introduces a subordinate clause and acts as the subject of that clause. Thus, the word "which" always needs a 100% bonafide full verb following it. If there were an option with a full verb after "which", that would be correct ---- that's what many test-takers would expect, and the fact that this option is not available is part of what is tricky about this question. It would be perfectly correct to say -----
The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.
That's completely correct, but not an option here. You see, choice (B) has "which" + [participle}, which is never a legitimate structure. The structure in (C), with the ordinary pronoun "them" + [participle] ---- that is a legitimate structure: an absolute phrase, discuss in the link in that first post.


Please give Kudos if this helped you.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 25

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1350

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1392

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 22:43
this is an important grammar issue and pattern in SC in gmat; it is called absolute phrase. Test takers must know this.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1392

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2016
Posts: 56

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 18:32
umeshpatil wrote:
The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them have a population less than 10,000.
(A) of which some of them have
(B) some of which having
(C) some of them having
(D) some of them have
(E) some of which to have

+1 kudo sir. I liked this question.
I was between C and D, but chose C correctly as dependent clause will not have its individual verb.



Independent or Dependent, A clause will always have a subject & a verb.

Here C is correct because ...., some of them (referring noun counties) + ing modifier - A noun + noun modifier

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 692

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 11:45
The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them have a population less than 10,000.
(A) of which some of them have -redundant nouns
(B) some of which having -having is wrong
(C) some of them having -Correct
(D) some of them have -creates a run on sentence
(E) some of which to have -to have is wrong
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 11:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.