Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [132]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [53]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20706 [9]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [7]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]
Kudos
The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them have a population less than 10,000.
(A) of which some of them have
(B) some of which having
(C) some of them having
(D) some of them have
(E) some of which to have

+1 kudo sir. I liked this question.
I was between C and D, but chose C correctly as dependent clause will not have its individual verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some of them ha [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone explain the difference between B and C? Which vs them rule

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hey Mike,

I was wondering why is D not an acceptable answer for this question? Thanks.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Qjones818 wrote:
Hey Mike,

I was wondering why is D not an acceptable answer for this question? Thanks.

Dear Qjones818,
This is also tricky. The second clause would be flawless in version (D), but the sentence would be a run-on sentence. We can separate one independent clause from another purely with a comma. We need a conjunction (and, but, or, for, yet, ...) or a strong break in punctuation (semicolon, colon, dash). See:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
carrillo1228 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between B and C? Which vs them rule

Dear carrillo1228,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I don't know whether you read the OE, at the link given in the top post in this thread.

Here's the basic idea. The word "which" is a relative pronoun. It introduces a subordinate clause and acts as the subject of that clause. Thus, the word "which" always needs a 100% bonafide full verb following it. If there were an option with a full verb after "which", that would be correct ---- that's what many test-takers would expect, and the fact that this option is not available is part of what is tricky about this question. It would be perfectly correct to say -----
The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.
That's completely correct, but not an option here. You see, choice (B) has "which" + [participle}, which is never a legitimate structure. The structure in (C), with the ordinary pronoun "them" + [participle] ---- that is a legitimate structure: an absolute phrase, discuss in the link in that first post.

Does all this make sense?

Hey Mike, nice explanation.. I was wondering can we generalize this is a rule that a pronoun can never be followed by a participle?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Subanta wrote:

Hey Mike, nice explanation.. I was wondering can we generalize this is a rule that a pronoun can never be followed by a participle?

Dear Subanta,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Your question is unusual, because in the OA of this SC question, a pronoun IS followed by a participle.

(C) The state of California contains 58 counties, some of them having a population less than 10,000.
"them" = pronoun
"having" = participle
This is the OA and it is 100% correct.

We certainly can't generalize a rule against something that is true in this correct sentence.

My friend, I will caution you against looking for a "rule based" way to approach GMAT SC. Yes, there are a few valid rules, and several more guidelines, but one cannot rise to GMAT SC mastery by learning some complete set of rules. Grammar is not mathematics. There is an irreducible living quality to language. I will recommend this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Does all this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Is there a better explanation as to why D is incorrect?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dhruv1911 wrote:
Is there a better explanation as to why D is incorrect?

Hi dhruv1911 ,

D is wrong because it is joining two independent clauses with a comma and no FANBOYS.

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of them have a population less than 10,000.

Does that make sense?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
D is wrong primarily not because it misses the preposition 'of' after population. but because it is a comma splice as Abhi has pointed out. There is no need to worry about the correctness of the not - underlined part, unless you can draw some clues from it to solve the error if any
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
mikemcgarry, would the following be correct in this case (had it been an option)?

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some have a population less than 10,000.

I realize that the post is old and I might be bothering you :) Thanks in advance!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
mohit2491 wrote:
mikemcgarry, would the following be correct in this case (had it been an option)?

The state of California contains 58 counties, of which some have a population less than 10,000.

I realize that the post is old and I might be bothering you :) Thanks in advance!

Dear mohit2491

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, your version is awkward and not at all how a native speaker would phrase it. I guess it's grammatically correct, but that's beside the point. The version that would be 100% correct in every respect is:

The state of California contains 58 counties, some of which have a population less than 10,000.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
mikemcgarry
The following is the explanation given by magoosh to why option A is incorrect.

The word “which” is a relative pronoun, and this means two important things. First, “which” begins a subordinate clause that, like any clause, must have a full [noun] + [verb] structure. Second, the pronoun “which” itself is the subject of this subordinate clause.
Choice (A) has a bonafide verb, “have”, but it gets in trouble with the second rule — it has a double subject, the word “which” and the phrase “some of them”

But I am confused here what if "which" here is acting as a subordinating conjunction and not a relative pronoun? I read that to differentiate between a relative pronoun and a subordinate conjunction is to check whether who, which, etc are the subject of sentence, if there's another subject present then they act as subordinating conjunction and not relative pronoun so why is A incorrect?
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
rohitchayal wrote:
mikemcgarry
The following is the explanation given by magoosh to why option A is incorrect.

The word “which” is a relative pronoun, and this means two important things. First, “which” begins a subordinate clause that, like any clause, must have a full [noun] + [verb] structure. Second, the pronoun “which” itself is the subject of this subordinate clause.
Choice (A) has a bonafide verb, “have”, but it gets in trouble with the second rule — it has a double subject, the word “which” and the phrase “some of them”

But I am confused here what if "which" here is acting as a subordinating conjunction and not a relative pronoun? I read that to differentiate between a relative pronoun and a subordinate conjunction is to check whether who, which, etc are the subject of sentence, if there's another subject present then they act as subordinating conjunction and not relative pronoun so why is A incorrect?

mikemcgarry
I also have this query. I thought "of which" is a conjunction and so marked A. I rejected B and C on the grounds of the word "having" which usually is a part of many incorrect answer choices.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos