Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Re: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have a question in (A)

"once" can act as conjunction.
it means as soon as; when.

"once the grapes were pressed, the juice was put into barrels"

then why (A) is incorrect?

Well, you're right that once *can* be used as a conjunction, as in the sentence you provided. When used as a conjunction, 'once' means 'as soon as' or 'shortly after.'

But that's not how 'once' is used in the sentence as written. Here, we are using 'once' as a modifier to mean 'at one point.' The companies operated [extensive types of] operations *at one point*, but now, those companies have downsized or closed.

The sentence isn't saying, "As soon as the companies operated [extensive kinds of] operations, those companies downsized or closed.

'Once' is clearly modifying 'conducted' in the sentence.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
annikaagarwal wrote:
I'm not able to understand why A is wrong and B is right. Further, why can't there be two verbs in a single clause?

Stripping out a bunch of the modifiers in (A), we're left with this:

"The steel industry has changed, as companies once conducted operations have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether."

The part in bold is a problem. Sure, you can have multiple verbs in a single clause, but you need a conjunction to connect them (e.g. "as companies once conducted operations AND have greatly downsized"). As written, (A) is no better than saying "The companies conducted operations have greatly downsized," which doesn't work for the same reason -- there's no conjunction.

Another way to fix the problem is by turning the "once conducted" part into a modifier (e.g. "as companies THAT once conducted operations have greatly downsized"), and that's exactly what we get in choice (B).

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kris01 wrote:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated
companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one
end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases
shut down altogether.
A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel
B. as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

Here the usage of that is necessary. Let us consider choice A to understand this better. Choice A has three clauses.

Clauses:
1.The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades,
2. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one
end of the process to shipping at the other
3.have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Here, integrated companies is the subject and "conducted" as well "have downsized" are the verbs. However, if you observe closely, you would see that there is no subject for "have greatly downsized". To assign it a subject we need to ensure that the first part of the sentence should be connected by "that".

Hope this helps!

targetgmatchotu wrote:
Hi all/experts,

I know the OA is (B).Not convinced ,though, by the use of that and why it is necessary in this context.

Plz Advice !!

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Just for the confirmation that I understood your point , please advice if my interpretation per below is fine.

"X" once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other [color=#005e20]have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.[/color]

X once conducted Y from A to B HAVE VER-ed ,

So HAVE VERB-ed doesn't take X as SUBJECT ????

Rgds
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I still did not understand what is wrong with option C.

Is it that with requires a -ing form?

Experts please help!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi,

The key word as you have noticed is 'as', this is a close synonym for 'because'.

As is correct here because we are looking to link a statement

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades

With an explanation for that statement (the rest of the question).

Neither 'with' nor 'while' are appropriate here. I could go into length as to their usage, but this sort of general question is better served via google.

All the best,

James

Hello

Can you please explain in detail what is wrong with 'with' in choice C.

Comma + with serves as an adverbial modifier. Is it correct here ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
iDisappear wrote:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated
companies such as Bethlehem Steel
once conducted operations from mining at one
end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases
shut down altogether.
A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel
C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

I rejected B because the comma after integrated companies is not justified. Large and integrated companies are modifiers of Benthelem Steel. There should be no comma after integrated companies, it is making the statement awkward. If we ignore the part between the commas then : as large such as Benthelem Steel is not making any sense.
please correct me here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Radhika11
I am afraid you have missed out on the parsing of the sentence. ‘Large, integrated’ are co-ordinate adjectives that modify the noun ‘companies’. Since they both modify the same noun, rules allow their separation by a comma rather than being joined by the conjunction ‘and’. The comma there is not the comma that sets off inessential elements.

On the other hand, the phrase ‘, such as Bethlehem Steel,’ is a modifier that modifies large integrated companies as an example. As you know, examples are not critical mission carriers. So if you want to drop something, then you must drop the phrase ‘, such as Bethlehem Steel,’ and read further on.
B. (revised) as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that

You can see B makes sense now.

Thanks for your response. It utterly makes sense.

Can you please help me to clear one more doubt. I am always confused about usage of 'that'. If I am write 'that' can be used for singulars and not plurals. In the above question isn't companies Plural. Can you please correct me again ?

I know 'that' is correct above but please explain me when to use 'that' and when to use 'those'.

Thanks,
Radhika
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I understand the subject is unclear on A, but I'm not sure I still understand the need for "that". Would B still be correct if "that" was removed as it would seem that "integrated companies" would still be the clear subject?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Reason why ‘that’ is required:

Let’s now split the sentence into the components.

1. The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades

2. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other ---subordinate clause one.
3. have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether. This clause is now dangling without proper conjugation with the subordinate clause.
Now we can see that the subject large integrated companies has two verbs namely, which is grammatically incorrect. This fault is fixed by turning the first subordinate clause into a relative noun and noun modifier, rendering ‘have ….” as the working verb for the subordinate clause. Without the 'that' , the subordinate clause will turn out to bea double - verbed fragment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
B. The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Could someone clarify if bold phrase could qualify "such as Bethlehem Steel"? I am not sure if the phrase points to "such as Bethlehem Steel" or to "large, integrated companies".

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
It took me like 10 re-reads but I think I see what the error in B is now as I was also torn between A & B. This article covers the uses of "that":

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sent ... s-of-that/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I don't understand why there is a comma before "that" in correct answer choice. If "that" is to describe the company, Bethelehem Steel and that should not be exasperated by comma.

Appreciate your explanation very much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I know lot of explanation has been provided already, but I am afraid I am not clear on why A is wrong and B is correct. Can someone please explain in detail. thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
Send PM
My justification for correct answer B.

The First IC is followed by , - now after comma is a long under line, so it can be

modifier issue or parallelism or structure issue.

Parallelism is ruled out. Structure is maintained by using such as to present an example- ( not necessarily correct as per GMAT new rules)

so the main issue remains is modifier issue.

simplifying the sentence , after comma can be followed by another IC connected by either (; ) or by using a Conjunction.
To see if it is an IC we need to identify the subject and the verb - The subject is -- large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel,- followed by relative clause - that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other- and then the main verb - have greatly downsized -

Now to cross the subtle errors - check the Verb tense and SV agreement.
Note - If the verb was missing - using participle instead - eg having greatly downsized - then the option C would be correct as we are using a prepositional phrase instead of IC and preposition phrase cannot act as a subject and must not have a verb associated with it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,

I have a question in (A)

"once" can act as conjunction.
it means as soon as; when.

"once the grapes were pressed, the juice was put into barrels"

then why (A) is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I'm not able to understand why A is wrong and B is right. Further, why can't there be two verbs in a single clause?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts